Why do you want to?
 spider in car - Manatee
'Tice him out with a juicy fly?

Vacuum cleaner nozzle?

Roast with hair dryer?

Leave glue trap in car?

Spray some insecticide in there?
 spider in car - WillDeBeest
You could try lighting a fire. The spiders that live in my barbecue soon make other plans as the shredded paper goes up.
 spider in car - Zero
stick a hosepipe in the window, fill the car up and float him out?
 spider in car - CGNorwich
A bit harsh. Those Buddhists might be right and what would have happened to Robert the Bruce if he had simply roast the spider with a hair dryer?

Unless you suffer from Miss Muffet syndrome best let spiders alone.
 spider in car - WillDeBeest
...Made millions from his invention of the hairdryer?
 spider in car - Armel Coussine
'Och, Rob Roy, those shining auburn locks, subtly curled wi' the Bruce's special brush thingy, set off the reeking skins, rawhide pampooties, leather shield and chipped claymore of your ootfit tae perfection...'
 spider in car - Manatee
>>Unless you suffer from Miss Muffet syndrome best let spiders alone

House ones anyway. We tend to ignore them or occasionally I catch one in the bathroom and tip it out of the window. Hospitality only extends so far.
 spider in car - bathtub tom
Put a bird in there?

Followed by a cat 'to catch the bird'...........................................

etc.
 spider in car - R.P.
Leave it alone - net contributor to a civilised world.
 spider in car - Crankcase
Not if it's a False Widow. We've had eight of those reported locally now. Seven of them in one house, yuk.
 spider in car - Zero
False Widow? Yuk?

more ruddy scaremongering, we have had the things around here for more than a hundred years.
 spider in car - Manatee
>> False Widow? Yuk?
>>
>> more ruddy scaremongering, we have had the things around here for more than a hundred
>> years.

Yes, but what about the spiders?
False widow spider don' t really pose any problems. I doubt whether many people had even heard of them until the press decided to hype up a few alleged instances of bites. I think the press liked their name. Bite is said to be less irritating than the average mosquito bite and the chances of being bitten by one somewhere between remote and infinitesimal.
 spider in car - Zero
I have been bitten by a redback, that left a small scar on the back of my hand, but only because i scratched the bite mark. The worse spider bite I have had was from a the good old British Garden Spider Araneus diadematus It was hanging onto my finger by its pincers drawing blood in the process.
>> The worse spider bite I have had was from a the good old British Garden Spider Araneus diadematus It was hanging onto my finger by its pincers drawing blood in the process.

I was going to mention those. I don't much like spiders or scorpions, and I've seen a few big nasty ones in my time. Never been bitten or stung by either though, always give them a bit of personal space. Both my sisters were rabid arachnophobes when small.
Indeed. One whiff of a False Widow or indeed almost anything eight legged and there is an unmanly display of hysteria on my part, followed by an exit so fast it ionises the atmosphere.

spider in car - NortonES2
Not been all that keen since a large hairy-legged specimen strolled nonchalantly across the sitting room floor (tropical Malaya) Made the mistake of taking a hammer to it. Gross.
 spider in car - Kevin
>False widow spider don' t really pose any problems...
>Bite is said to be less irritating than the average mosquito bite and the chances
>of being bitten by one somewhere between remote and infinitesimal.

The bite isn't irritating but it can cause problems.

A couple of years ago I got into the car one morning and felt spider silk against my face, it was stretched between the rearview mirror and the headrest. I remember walking through another thread the previous morning so I'd probably carried it into the car on my clothes. The next morning the critter was crawling around on the dash so I scooped it up in a duster and dropped it outside.

I didn't think any more about it but began to feel a bit under the weather and over the next couple of days developed an itchy lump on my shoulder which grew to the size of a 10p coin and turned black. I got Mrs K to burst it and clean and disinfect the wound.

It didn't hurt but it took about a month to heal and has left a scar.
 spider in car - Runfer D'Hills
A spider, or presumably a succession of spiders ( but I prefer to think of it as one ) used to live in the nearside door mirror of my Mondeo. It was there for about 6 years. Every morning there would be a new web which I'd routinely knock off. Did nearly 200,000 miles in that mirror that spider ( or its decendents )

Oddly enough, it moved into the same spot on my Qashqai and did another 80k miles and yep, it's in the same mirror on the Merc which I've now had more than two years.

Sometimes when we're on the motorway it ventures out from behind the glass and clings on to its web in the windrush.

I think it's some kind of stunt spider.

Hardy little guy anyway.

It also likes going to France on holiday by the way.

spider in car - Zero

>> It also likes going to France on holiday by the way.

I brought an illegal immigrant wing mirror spider back from France once.
I know someone who brought crabs back from the Greek Islands once...
 spider in car - zookeeper
Lesbos?
Might have been, but temporarily at least swung both ways apparently.
 spider in car - BiggerBadderDave
Yeah, sorry!
 spider in car - Zero
Well I suppose the spider caught the fly from spain.
 spider in car - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5UO8M0_Zxk

Human performing spider.

This place is just down the road from us. Runfer's performing spider put me in mind of it....If anyone here cares to do it, I'll donate a £100.00 to a charity of choice, including Pat's of course...video evidence required.
I'm definitely up for that. Not sure when yet though but watch this space...
Noakesy would have fallen in the lake and showed us the bruises every week for the next fifteen programmes.

Actually, that looks quite tempting, I have to say...

spider in car - Mike Hannon
We have 'false widow' spiders in the garden, they've been there longer than we have. I get the odd bite in the summer - always seems to be on the wrist. It isn't horrendous but sometimes needs antibiotics to deflate my arm.
My mother always said 'if you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive', but I'm not squeamish if they get in my way.
Having said that, and speaking from personal experience, if I had a car with interior movement sensors for the alarm I would leave the odd spider lurking in a corner to catch the flies that regularly fly across the beams and set off the alarm.
I stroked a tarantula once, while I could see it's little fangs working up and down. Felt just like a hamster...
 spider in car - VxFan
>> if I had a car with interior movement sensors for the alarm I would leave the odd spider lurking in a corner to catch the flies that regularly fly across the beams and set off the alarm.

And what's stopping the spider crawling across the beams and setting off the alarm?
>> And what's stopping the spider crawling across the beams and setting off the alarm?

This is what "my" spider would do...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr834Cs9ncs
 spider in car - Mike Hannon
Well, my personal experience is that the spider lurks out of the way while the flies break the beams. I struggled for ages trying to work out why the alarm on my UK-sourced Accord coupe kept activating at odd times, but only in summer, until somebody pointed out what was happening.
It's interesting, I think, that my UK Hondas all had alarms with movement sensors and motion sensors but my French Accord doesn't. Means I don't have to turn it off on the ferry though.
 spider in car - Stuartli
My car's spiders live in the wing mirrors. Move across on the breeze in the first place from the flowers and shrubs beds. Seem to thoroughly enjoy speeds of up to 70mph...:-)
 spider in car - Bromptonaut
I reckon wing mirror spiders are factory fit in Berlingos. Both ours have them.
My chubby innocent 5-year-old granddaughter today proudly displayed a chubby innocent little buff-brown spider running about on the back of her hand.

I wouldn't do if by choice, although I could. But she was perfectly OK with it, clearly not wishing to harm the arachnid in any way. I was touched as well as impressed. I used to massacre woodlice, ants etc at that age, and older. Times have changed.
 spider in car - MD
For now I can't be bothered to read most of the above, too tired. I have had a Spider or two in the van since 2002. I guess not the same beast, but it's great to see Sid drop rapidly to catch a fly which 'he' does regularly. It is so funny that when he performs the 'drop' and there is no catch I just gently tap him from below with a finger and he whips back up the web almost as fast as he descends. I haven't the heart or desire to kill him. It still makes the Daughter shudder.

Sid eh! Must get out more. Must get out more. Mus..............
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 20 Nov 13 at 01:54
Mine is called Boris. ( did I just type that? )
 spider in car - bathtub tom
All mine are called 'arry (chnid).
(Achnid) surely.
 spider in car - Alanovich
Mine's called Derek.
 spider in car - swiss tony
Mines called Sid.
Last one was Cecil.
Latest Forum Posts