Motoring Discussion > Does my cabin filter need renewing? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 16

Does my cabin filter need renewing? - Dog
Hello everybuddy,

Can you help me decide if the cabin filter in my 2007 Subaru Forester should be replaced with a new one?

Reason I ask is because the vehicle has fool main dealer 'service' history so one would ass-ume that if it required replacement it would have been carried out at the last 'service' Shirley.

Here is the filter in question 4U2C B4 I refit it, or not ... img842.imageshack.us/img842/7517/owqt.jpg

TIA.
 Does my cabin filter need renewing? - Old Navy
I would change it, I have yet to come across a main dealer that changes them unless requested to. I usually change mine every two years and they are filthy, full of dead bugs and assorted debris, maybe even the odd spider. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Nov 13 at 09:33
That's right O/N, it's not in the service schedule for some strange reason.

How old d'you think mine is? .. looks like it's never been replaced to me.
>> That's right O/N, it's not in the service schedule for some strange reason.
>>
>> How old d'you think mine is? .. looks like it's never been replaced to me.
>>

Its probably never been changed, The strange reason is that the service schedule is geared to cheap running costs for the fleet market.
I have just had a look at your photo, you need to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.eurocarparts.com/pollenfilter

Now! Before you catch some unmentionable disease and we have to donate for flowers. :-)
Sourced the replacement from €uro car parts = OE Made in Japan!
>>the service schedule is geared to cheap running costs for the fleet market.

Crikey!

My Subaru was serviced by a pain dealer 6 months before I bought and I noticed when I changed the oil & filter that the old filter was Made in Canada!

Not that I'm Xeno you understand :)

What was the weather like the other week O/N:

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074
>>
>> What was the weather like the other week O/N:
>>
>> wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074
>>

A week of solid sunshine and temperatures averaging 26C, long trousers only required for dinner weather. We were at El Medano, a small resort the other side of the airport from Los Cristianos, we prefer to avoid the large purpose built holiday resorts.
>>We were at El Medano, a small resort the other side of the airport from Los Cristianos, we prefer to avoid the large purpose built holiday resorts.

Ah yes, can get a bit windy there at times, we lived in a quiet area above the hustle 'n bustle of Los Cristianos,
nice to go down to the harbour area, nice to leave it too when we'd had enough!

It's still bleed'n summer in this place: www.cyprusliving.org/webcam/webcam.php
Easyjet run a service from Edinburgh to Tenerife South every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Out in the morning and back in the afternoon so convenient for us, just like a bus with wings. We had one windy day, but easily avoided as there are plenty of sheltered areas, or if you have a car.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 20 Nov 13 at 10:25
 Does my cabin filter need renewing? - VxFan
>> I would change it, I have yet to come across a main dealer that changes them unless requested to.

They change mine every 2 years at my local Vauxhall dealer. I give it an interim clean a couple of times a year - take out and bash it against the wall to remove dead leaves, flies, etc.
Mind you, saying that, when my dad had an Astra-G, they never bothered changing it. Speaking off record to one of the mechanics the reason why is because of the time it took to change it (glovebox out job to access it) and they couldn't justify charging the customer unless they specifically requested it.
>>the reason why is because of the time it took to change it (glovebox out job to access it) and they couldn't justify charging the customer unless they specifically requested it.

Good point, the filter alone costs enough - from a pain dealer.
I paid 20 sovs for my OE jobbie, they do a pattern for £10, but my names not Zzzzzzz!
 Does my cabin filter need renewing? - Bill Payer
>> I would change it, I have yet to come across a main dealer that changes
>> them unless requested to.

It comes up on all 4 of our cars - even the Golf, on a cheapo VW service plan, had it changed at 2yrs.

I'm amazed it's not on a Subaru schedule - daughter's Mitsubishi Colt schedules it every year, which bumps up the cost of dealer servicing. The dealer said the Mitsubishi schedule is more geared to their off-road cars, hence I'm surprised at Subaru not including it.
>>I'm amazed it's not on a Subaru schedule

So am I, it gets a mench in the owners handbook, although it's hidden away in the climate control section, not in the maintenance and service section where one would expect to find it, maybe.

It says it should be replaced every 12 months/12,000m :)
 Does my cabin filter need renewing? - bathtub tom
I'd clear the leaves and debris out of the plenum chamber more often as well, looking at the state of that filter.

I changed the one on my daughter's Mondeo earlier this year and that looked similar. I took half a bucket of debris out of the plenum, including a rocket stick that I recall seeing sticking out the edge of the bonnet last year.

Walks away, shaking head and tutting loudly............................
>>I'd clear the leaves and debris out of the plenum chamber more often as well, looking at the state of that filter.

Interesting, I'll check that out bathtub but, surely the air filter filters out any big stuff getting in to said chamber?
 Does my cabin filter need renewing? - bathtub tom
Leaves tend to go brittle and break up into smaller pieces when they're dry. Perfect for clogging a filter.

I tend to pick any bits out of mine every time I pop the bonnet to check the oil.
Latest Forum Posts