Motoring Discussion > London to Merthyr Tydfil - the scenic route! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SimonB Replies: 4

London to Merthyr Tydfil - the scenic route! - SimonB
Taking a short break in the Old Country to see the family etc. at the end of June, after which (and to clear our heads) we (me and the missus) will be going to the Brecon Beacons for 4 nights (Sunday to Thursday) from North London.
Rather than barrelling up the M4 and A470 (and arriving in 3 hours nine minutes according to Google maps), could anyone suggest a scenic route or detour where we can get out of the car for an hour's walk and eat our sandwiches? A plan B for what to do if it is raining would be most helpful. Sunday's run isn't time limited but on Thursday we should be back in London before 5pm.

Many thanks,

SimonB
 London to Merthyr Tydfil - the scenic route! - Harleyman
Gladly. Suffer the M4 till you get to J15 since the old road is a bind, then head up the A417 past Swindon. Have a break in Cirencester (lovely little town) rather that Gloucester, unless you fancy a look round the old docks there. From Gloucester take the A40 to Ross-on-Wye, past Monmouth, then head for Abregavenny. Once there take the A465 to Merthyr.

Haven't worked out the mileage but I doubt it's a lot less than M4/A470. Mostly good dual carriageway, and pleasant scenery.
 London to Merthyr Tydfil - the scenic route! - Zero
If you take the A417 past swindon, I can recomend the Red Lion in Lechlade for lunch.

Harleymans is my prefered route, most of which I use to visit the rellies in Hereford.
 London to Merthyr Tydfil - the scenic route! - Iffy
If you are leaving from north London, why not use the M40?

This opens up the prospects of the Cotswolds.

So, M40 to Oxford, A40, drop off right to Burford, then Stow on the Wold, from Stow take the B3077 across to Tewkesbury, M5, M50 'Ross Spur' to Ross-on-Wye, and on into Wales.

The run across the Cotswolds is a lovely drive, even the B-road is fairly straight and open - you can cruise at 60mph or so - although watch for a sharp bend or two in the villages.

If you fancy a stop, there are plenty of chocolate box villages to chooses from - the Slaughters, Temple Guiting, to name a few.

Burford and Stow are both very visitable - Stow is arranged around a market square.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Tue 8 Jun 10 at 20:02
 London to Merthyr Tydfil - the scenic route! - -
M40 for ease out of the hell of the SE then A40 all the way, you pass through some lovely places....Burford just one of many worth a stroll round and a nice cup of morning coffee at one of the many little cafes.

Instead of going through Cheltenham unless of course you want to branch onto the A365 at Shipton and if it's a nice day maybe have your sandwich's at Birdlip Hill en route gazing for miles over lovely country....take your binos.

Rejoin A40 at Glos and follow all the way to Brecon via Abergavenny.

That would be my route no doubt others will have some good POI for you.

Enjoy the break.
Latest Forum Posts