Motoring Discussion > Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 9

Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - Manatee
Ted has probably seen this fillum.

goo.gl/HHzyoQ
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - Armel Coussine
Charming Manatee. The characteristic Javelin flat-four engine noise clearly audible, along with plenty of gear whine. And foggy portrait of the world I grew up in (albeit not the Yorkshire bit).

I had forgotten the Jupiter's class successes at Le Mans and Monte Carlo. Of course when you are young your main interest is in the top-end snorting monsters contending for outright victory. Economy, toughness and efficiency are more appreciated later in life.
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - Ted

Thanks for the publicity, Mr Dugong.........Ted was actually in the fillum and still has a copy. Lot of old members crossed the Styx by now. I was a stripling of 37 years.

Funny you should post that, have you been spying on me ? I got me spanners out today for the first time since my heart op and set about getting ' Joetta ' running by putting the rebuilt engine in. Sorry picture not brill, taken in the dark on the Doro phone !

s479.photobucket.com/user/1400ted/media/002-1.jpg.html

Bit cold for too much work but I'm only going to connect the exhaust, starter, electrics and fuel and see if she runs before I do the propshaft, coolant, water pump, etc. Trouble is, there's a three inch ' spike ' which the bonnet closes on. It's just where the breastbone rests when leaning over the engine...and it's still sore after being split in two. Fortunately, most of the work can be done sitting on a milk crate in front of the car.

I've got the Easy Start ready !

Ted
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - bathtub tom
>>I've got the Easy Start ready !

Don't let them use that stuff on you, CPR's far more effective.

;>)
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - Armel Coussine
Edouardo you old copper, you are a serious car person and no mistake. I am truly lost in admiration.

Yr Javelin is black too.

Why do you need easy start? Tune the damn thing up down and sideways, get it right, it starts on the second or third revolution.

I hadn't noticed that you were in the film. I'll have to look again now. Same black Javelin? I'll look for a whippersnapper of 40ish.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 22 Nov 13 at 01:31
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - Boxsterboy
A clean tidy and carpeted garage. Like!
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - FocalPoint
Glad to hear you're getting seriously active after the open-heart surgery, Ted! (Quite a biggie, they tell me.)

As for Jowetts, I grew up with (and in) my father's Javelin for several years - trips down to Cornwall and what-not. Jet-black, of course! Amazing advanced ideas about car design, that one. I seem to recall they experimented with hydraulic tappets, which were not a success.
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - crocks
>> Trouble is, there's a three inch ' spike ' which the bonnet closes on. It's just where the breastbone rests when
>> leaning over the engine..

Surely it's only a two minute job to remove the spike.
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - Ted

The engine was designed for the hydraulic tappet and was very successful. The change to mechanical tappets came about because supplies of the American ' Zero-Lash ' fittings became unavailable.

I might take the bonnet catch off but atm it doesn't really warrant taking a spanner to the paintwork and having to re-do it.

Ted
 Jowett Car Club Rally 1983 - crocks
Sorry Ted. I just happened to notice the 'spike' while watching the video but failed to notice it was body- coloured.
I think I would just go for a bit more padding!
Latest Forum Posts