Motoring Discussion > When do RFL reminders arrive? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 20

When do RFL reminders arrive? - Stuu
Mines due at the end of the month, when should I expect the reminder through?
Not had the car that long so unsure if the wheels of government turn quickly enough for the the tax reminder to make it to me. I got the V5 through about 5 wks ago.
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Ted

Mine came last week...about Thursday for the Jowett.

Ted
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Iffy
I don't think you are allowed/encouraged to renew the disc earlier than the middle of the month in which it expires.

The reminder will not arrive before then - expect to see it middle of next week.

When do RFL reminders arrive? - Haywain
I don't know the current situation but a couple of years ago, when my motorcycle RFL was due at the end of October, I received the reminder at the beginning of the month. I took it down to the post office to be told that I couldn't re-licence it until their new discs had arrived in the middle of the month. So I returned a couple of weeks later.

The following year, the reminder arrived early so I put it to one side thinking that I'd wait a couple of weeks before paying the post office a visit. Whilst the bike languished in the garage over winter (I hadn't once taken it out), I simply forgot about the RFL reminder that I had put to one side.

In the following February, I received a £40/80 fine for not re-licencing/SORNing. I was so P'd off that I sold the bike.

When I hear the statistics about unlicenced motorbikes, I wonder how many of them were caught out as I was.
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Arctophile
"I don't think you are allowed/encouraged to renew the disc earlier than the middle of the month in which it expires."

The earliest renewal date has now been brought forward to the 5th of the month. Reminders should be falling through letter boxes any day now.
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - The Nut
>> The earliest renewal date has now been brought forward to the 5th of the month.
>> Reminders should be falling through letter boxes any day now.
>>
All that time to renew and there are still queues out of the post office door on the first and last working days of each month!
Thanks for that, its been a while since I last had to tax anything and I just couldnt remember.
Its also the first time ive had to find what I call a significant amount of money for a tax disc ( £112.75 ) having paid just £35 a year until now.
Luckily my dad is paying me £100 for cleaning and arranging the sale of the Vitara so I better get down the back of the sofa for the 12 quid :-)

Just gotta see if ive left the insurance cert anywhere easily found now. Seems unlikely as I need it!
....Just gotta see if ive left the insurance cert anywhere easily found now. Seems unlikely as I need it!...

You won't need it if you renew online.

It's also a good way of checking that all the various computers accept you are a legitimate motorist.

When do RFL reminders arrive? - Haywain
>> You won't need it if you renew online. It's also a good way of checking that all the various computers accept you are a legitimate motorist. >>

I agree absolutely, IIH, I've done it like this ever since the incident I reported about 5 posts earlier.
...I agree absolutely, IIH, I've done it like this...

I've done the last two or three discs online and the service works well.

The only little wrinkle is there is a small surcharge for credit card payments.

I'm not keen on putting the details of my current account debit card online, so I paid the extra.

When do RFL reminders arrive? - L'escargot
Accxording to Directgov, you should get a V11 reminder about three weeks before your current tax disc runs out. tinyurl.com/2va8cfm
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Skip
The DVLA have RFL reminders (and other forms) printed in batches which can be 6 weeks, or more in advance of when they are needed, so if you have not had the vehicle for very long , you may not receive a reminder this time.
You can tax at the PO with just the V5 cant you nowadays? Seem to recall they just scan the barcode to get the rates up on screen?
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Skip
You can also renew on-line now without having the reminder, by using the document number from the V5.
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Netsur
Espadrille's car due for RFL renewal for end of June. Renewal reminder arrived late last week (last weekend?) and I did it online on Sunday. It has to be the only bit of government that works properly.

However, DVLA is not obliged to issue a reminder and it is no excuse if you are caught driving around without tax.
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Stuartli
>>It has to be the only bit of government that works properly>>

TV Licensing is just as efficient.

One advantage of the rules regarding MOT and insurance is that you don't necessarily have to take the documents with you if renewing an RFL at a post office as they can be readily checked.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 12 Jun 10 at 17:22
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - FotheringtonTomas
>> if you have not had the vehicle for very long , you may not receive
>> a reminder this time.

I received a reminder just *after* I'd scrapped a car.
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Bellboy
i had a car the other week come with no paper mot
checked on vosa to confirm the long mot it had
i put it on the MID
waited 3 days then taxed it online
saved a £10 mot duplicate fee
everyones happy
or not as it turned out because the bloke who bought it insisted i was conning him because his son is a police man and he checked it for him and it wasnt tested
probably the same copper who still hasnt been to see me in the last 5 months because hes too busy sticking pencils up his nose

sometimes i need the strength of Hercules to get through the day...............
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - VxFan
Mine arrived this morning. £235 eeeeek!
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - henry k
>> Mine arrived this morning. £235 eeeeek!
>>
Mine too but only £205. it will soon be more than the Mondeo is worth. %-(
Bought my RFL from my quite local PO and it is now stuck on the screen with sellotape.
The RFL reminder also reminds me that the MoT is due.
 When do RFL reminders arrive? - Stuartli
My new RFL commenced at the beginning of this month. The notice arrived on Monday, May 17th and I renewed on-line the same day.

The new tax disc was delivered in the post two days later (Wednesday, 19th).

You can legally use your car for up to five days at the beginning of the month in which a disc comes into force without displaying an up to date disc to allow for postal or other delays.
Latest Forum Posts