Motoring Discussion > Audi R8 - Odd Indicators
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 6

Audi R8 - Odd Indicators - Alastairw
A brand new Audi R8 passed me this morning. The rear indicators had weird pulsing style, which made them look like they were moving towards the direction of turn ie: first the inner part lit, then the outer. It looked quite cool, but I thought lights had to be a simple on/off type.

This type of light must be new, as I saw an older R8 this afternoon (this is Cheshire after all!) and the lighting was more conventional.
 Audi R8 - Odd Indicators - Zero

>> This type of light must be new, as I saw an older R8 this afternoon
>> (this is Cheshire after all!) and the lighting was more conventional.

We have had them in surrey for nearly a year........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A4nZQ0dzf0
 Audi R8 - Odd Indicators - Old Navy
>> We have had them in surrey for nearly a year........
>>

Its good to see you are keeping up in Surrey, sequential turn signals were common in the USA in the 1970s.
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Thu 27 Feb 14 at 19:32
 Audi R8 - Odd Indicators - Shiny
The buses round here have had them for ~12 years.
I dare say this more how incandescent bulbs flash, appearing to eminate from and recede to the source.
In this clip, the LHS is a bulb and RHS is an LED which is instant on/off.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMDijmcRs1M
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Sat 1 Mar 14 at 17:48
You can see why the Americans invented high level brake lights, a dark wet night in traffic is a nightmare with lots of these lights.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KlfVH73KA
 Audi R8 - Odd Indicators - Armel Coussine
>> keeping up in Surrey, sequential turn signals were common in the USA in the 1970s.

Yes they were... I remember the lazy triple sequential rhythm as if it were yesterday. And all the trim and brightwork and orange, red and clear lamp glasses, often tatty, cracked, missing or falling off even in quite new cars...

I used to think in terms of maintenance, all those bulbs to check and little wires everywhere and rampant corrosion sticking the bulbs in their holders so they broke when you tried to take them out... low-grade consumer tat, genuinely 'flash', very costly to maintain properly using the main dealer one would think. Detroit's last hurrah really, although there are still one or two proper American cars...
I had a new Oldsmobile Delta 88 as a rental for a few weeks in the 70s, it was already showing signs of rust.
Latest Forum Posts