Motoring Discussion > Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 13

Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - -
I'm saying nowt about winter tyres having to be bicycle thin, these should make interesting reading..
tinyurl.com/yfah2xx

tinyurl.com/yk98rzq minor swear word in the second link.
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - tyro
Those links don't work for me.
Though for some reason they do now!
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - bathtub tom
They don't for me.
If the links are a pita i could quote the full url's and let an intrepid mod have a go at sorting the tinyurl.
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - rtj70
The links worked for me. Maybe try the again.
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - Bellboy
links work fine
obviously some members are on dial up via mehziko :-0
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - Old Navy
Brilliant, until the guy behind you, (too close as always), tries to stop on summer tyres. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 27 Feb 10 at 15:30
Nothing particularly surprising in the articles, except for the final sentence in Nick Trott's piece: "why aren't winter tyres a legal requirement this time of year in the UK?"

OK - he's not actually saying that they should be, but isn't that a wild over-reaction? It's not as if every winter we get is like this one. Why do people who have bright ideas so often think that we need to make a new law?
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - bathtub tom
The links now work for me too - weird?
Last edited by: looseat len {p} on Sat 27 Feb 10 at 17:01
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - Bagpuss
Reading the article, it appears the editor has never tried winter tyres. The effectiveness of winter tyres in slippery or cold conditions is a real surprise if you haven't experienced it before. This winter I had the opportunity to do a back to back test as I'd not got round to getting the tyres changed on my Merc W124 until December and there was a layer of snow and slush on the roads. Tiptoed to the tyre place on my summer tyres, expecting the back to go out at every bend. The drive home on the winter tyres (also Pirelli Sotto Zeros) was a total contrast, the car responding to steering and brake inputs with aplomb.

Still not sure you need 500bhp on snow though...
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - Bellboy
interesting Bagpuss becase most new tyres need at least a 100 miles to get the silicon off them and the water out of the casings,i wonder if the ones you bought were pre trialled nearly new ;-ooooo
 Winter tyres (just when you thought it was safe.;) - Bagpuss
>> interesting Bagpuss becase most new tyres need at least a 100 miles to get the silicon off them and the water
>> out of the casings i wonder if the ones you bought were pre trialled nearly new ;-ooooo

Pretrialled by me! They are the same winter tyres I've been using for the last 3 years - the tyre place stores them for me during the summer. And the summer tyres during the winter.
>> interesting Bagpuss becase most new tyres need at least a 100 miles to get the
>> silicon off them

Thought i'd dropped a clanger when i fitted the Nokian winters to the car, took about 500 miles for the scrubbing/bedding process, then good results, whereas the Vredesteins on the pick up were spot on from the word go, i wondered if Vred have a process that scrubs the releasing fluid off chemically or something....i may even email them and ask.

I didn't really want to start another winter tyre thread, but the stopping distance difference was something drastic, even dyed in the wool luddites couldn't fail to be impressed..

hope there's no luddites been allowed in here.;)
Latest Forum Posts