Motoring Discussion > New Car Car Deals
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 64

New Car - Lygonos
Front tyres are down to 4mm on the Swift so it's time for a new car.....

Suzuki Kizashi 63-plate, 4k miles - My 12-plate Swift Sport and 4 grand - stickered at £12,999 [nice 9 grand drop from list in 3 or 4 months...] - I reckoned my car was worth ~£8k as p-ex so quite happy with deal.

Bought it on Saturday from a nearby dealer, and funnily enough the guys I bought my Swift from 2 years ago in Stirling 'phoned me this morning to advise me they had a similar spec/age/mileage Kizashi in with a sticker price of £14,000.

Autotrader has a stash around £13-15 grand... mine is same colour as this one:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201403082354698

- This one has more pics but different colour: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201403072330383

Was suspicious that the CVT box would be a turd after reading loads of reviews, but after a couple of hours test drive it's an excellent unit - reviewers really are idiots when they test anything not mainstream or not packing a turbo-disease.

Handling is quite sweet - absorbent ride and turns well enough (not as sharp as the Swift but that was almost 600kg lighter) - on 235/45x18 Dunlops which are nice and quiet (and fairly pricey).

Understeer is obtained from accelerating hard out of a damp mini-roundabout - press the AWD button and it becomes neutral doing the same - feels similar to the CRV I used to have as if you can feel the rear wheels stepping in to cure the front end slipping.

Flappy paddles can be used at any time to use 6-preset ratios with supersmooth shifts, or you let the gearbox make its own mind up.

Floor it and revs rise to ~6,000rpm - it's a 16v VVT unit so it's not exactly rough, although I'm sure Rattle would faint if he drove it...

Don't floor it and it resembles a TC auto (it has a torque converter as well as the variable ratios), and at a cruise it is running around 35mph/1000rpm.

31mpg with a fair bit of 'testing it out' driving is pretty decent for a 2.4 petrol.

Insurance £150 (full comp, over 40, clean licence, max NCD)

Tax £260 as it's 190g/km CO2 or thereabouts - same as out 1.8 auto FRV.

Interior space: think Octavia. Boot is decent at 461 litres and split-fold seats may prove useful. Only downside is the loss of headroom due to the sunroof: seat is on it's lowest setting and if I used 'product' in my hair (which I don't) I'm sure the rooflining would have a stain above my head!

Space-saver wheel under boot floor is adequate for my needs.

Under 13 grand for a virtually new luxury-spec Jap 4wd saloon?

Bargain, but it's going to be worth buttons in a couple of years!

Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 22:04
 New Car - rtj70
Nice deal. If only others on here followed your example (like Rattle). Tyres worn... get a new car :-)

Enjoy.
 New Car - WillDeBeest
Got an advisory on one rear tyre at the LEC's MoT last week. Spring's nice for car shopping but I'm not sure I have the time. (Although Mrs Beest scraped a bumper on a pillar too, so perhaps that's a sign from the gods.)

Curious-looking motor, Lygo, but hard to argue at that price. And someone has to break 'em in for whatever Stu is calling himself this week.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 22:40
 New Car - Bill Payer
>> Bargain, but it's going to be worth buttons in a couple of years!
>>
It's certainly a brave choice if you're only going to keep this one for a couple of years too.
 New Car - Lygonos
>> It's certainly a brave choice if you're only going to keep this one for a couple of years too.

Depends on what deals are on offer - I'm suspicious the Kizashi may well be pulled from the market soon as I don't think there's a turbodiesel in the offing and sales in the past couple of years look weak.

Expecting it to drop to around 6 grand as a p/ex at 3 yrs old (optimistic maybe) so if it's a good 'un likely to keep it for the next 4 or 5 years. Other than not having satnav (dealer option) there's little else that could be specced and it feels well built - certainly as good as an Accord and the interior feels a bit bigger.

Even fairly shonky cars can be relative bargains if the initial discount is heavy enough to absorb the bulk of the depreciation. My Shogun was £38k list and I got £26k p/ex (ie. £13 grand cash and a 'free' Swift Sport) at 15 months old (paid £29k for it from new-car-discount.com so wasn't as harsh as it could have been).

webuyanycar.com valued the 12-reg Swift at £7625 and the 63-reg Kizashi at £12,225, so not lightyears away from the heavy discounts currently on offer.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 17 Mar 14 at 23:02
 New Car - Bill Payer
>> Expecting it to drop to around 6 grand as a p/ex at 3 yrs old
>> (optimistic maybe)

I'm going guess £4K

>> so if it's a good 'un likely to keep it for the next
>> 4 or 5 years.

That would make sense. Same with my "old" Merc - I'd get far less for it now than it's 'worth' to me. Selling it at the bottom of its depreciation curve seems bonkers.
 New Car - ToMoCo
>> >> Expecting it to drop to around 6 grand as a p/ex at 3 yrs
>> old
>> >> (optimistic maybe)
>>
>> I'm going guess £4K
>>

18% of list after just 3 years? Can't see it, but maybe I'll keep an eye on them to replace the Pug 2 years from now :)
 New Car - Bill Payer
>> 18% of list after just 3 years? Can't see it, but maybe I'll keep an
>> eye on them to replace the Pug 2 years from now :)
>>

I just don't know who would buy it, and no trader is going to want to touch a 2.4 petrol CVT auto with a barge pole.
 New Car - ToMoCo
You could well be right BP...

A quick search on autotrader for 3 year old petrol (bigger than 2.0l) auto seems to offer up the Accord at over £10k, But, expand that to 4 years and there is a Chrysler Sebring 2.4 auto (possibly a better comparison to the Suzuki, I don't know? That's up for under £5k. I guess someone got around £3/3.5k trade in for that. Don't know what list was on them.
Last edited by: ToMoCo on Tue 18 Mar 14 at 13:07
 New Car - Lygonos
KM61XWU (earliest I could find on autotrader) is between 2 and 2.5 yrs old.

webuyanycar.com are offering £9995 (+refund of VED) for it at 16k miles.

Whether it dives mahoosively after the MOT point remains to be seen.
 New Car - Avant
"Bargain, but it's going to be worth buttons in a couple of years!"

True - it'll be similar to cars like the Toyota Crown, Honda Legend etc. Serviceable, reliable and a great bargain at a few years old.

But it's a good bargain for you too, as even if it loses, say. £10k in the next 3 years, my £24,000 63-reg Octavia vRS estate - quite a good model for holding its value - will surely have lost more than £10k in the same period.

I'm not sure why Suzuki, whose reputation is very good for small cars, should have brought the Kizashi to the UK. No doubt it sells well in Japan and China.
 New Car - Lygonos
It's a 'halo' model - target 500 sales/year.

Maybe a bit like Skoda's V6 Superb.

Perhaps a cheap way to 'refresh' the range than re-doing the Jimny and Vitara, although it seems about as obscure as Mazda's Xedos 6/9 and Nissan's QX and Maxima were.

And if it loses 10 grand in the next 3 years it's going to be worth about £2500... it's not a Citroen XM ;-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 18 Mar 14 at 00:28
 New Car - Runfer D'Hills
If you ignore the ruinous fuel consumption and the relatively low power from a relatively big engine, the practical restrictions of being a saloon and the probable 'lob a brick off a bridge' rate of the future depreciation, it's, erm, very, um, nice...

;-)
 New Car - Zero
>> If you ignore the ruinous fuel consumption and the relatively low power from a relatively
>> big engine, the practical restrictions of being a saloon and the probable 'lob a brick
>> off a bridge' rate of the future depreciation, it's, erm, very, um, nice...
>>
>> ;-)

You forgot to mention its an ugly mofo
 New Car - Runfer D'Hills

>> You forgot to mention its an ugly mofo

Yes there is that too I suppose. Nice colour though.
 New Car - Zero
>>
>> >> You forgot to mention its an ugly mofo
>>
>> Yes there is that too I suppose. Nice colour though.
>>

Available in Light grey, Medium grey, Dark grey or Black.
 New Car - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> And if it loses 10 grand in the next 3 years it's going to be
>> worth about £2500...
>>

Suddenly, the thought of my ten or eleven hundred quid Astra getting written off in it's MoT after twelve months isn't so frightening after all.
 New Car - BobbyG
>>I'm not sure why Suzuki, whose reputation is very good for small cars, should have brought the Kizashi to the UK. No doubt it sells well in Japan and China.

Easy decision when its a rare model and you are the only source of parts.............
 New Car - Dog
S'nice, I quite like it in white too (perhaps I'm 'on the turn') although Mr Grey will always look tidier, while Mr White will need a wash & brush up at-least twice a week.

Interesting that the CVT has a talk converter as well, mad f has mentioned those a few times, I'll have to check 'em out, like.
 New Car - Falkirk Bairn
Plenty more here - del miles to under 6,000
Del miles around £14K - under 1 yr old around £12.5K

www.motorpoint.co.uk/VehicleSearch/SUZUKI/KIZASHI

Kizashi no longer on suzuki.co.uk website

A lot of car for the money - same mistake as the Jaguar and the first X-types - saloon, petrol, 4wd when the UK market is hatchback or estate and diesel.
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Tue 18 Mar 14 at 10:12
 New Car - ToMoCo
>>
>> Kizashi no longer on suzuki.co.uk website
>>

tinyurl.com/oumkk53
 New Car - Falkirk Bairn
>>>Kizashi no longer on suzuki.co.uk website

Yesterday the website had deleted Kizashi IIRC
The biggest car was the Grand Vitara!
 New Car - ToMoCo
I like it, an interesting choice.

Can't think of ever seeing one - are these Mondeo size or smaller?
 New Car - Alanovich
I like those very much, good deal. Good luck with it. I expect it'll be faultless. Jap petrol auto, can't go wrong.

I am a convert.
 New Car - Zero
you are on whats called the Renault Rebound
 New Car - WillDeBeest
Doesn't that require a bus?
 New Car - bathtub tom
Ouch!

;>)
 New Car - RattleandSmoke
I must admit I was seriously thinking about scrapping my car due to one of the front tyres being down to 3.5mm :p but after spending 6 hours on a spreadsheet my formula suggested that keeping the Panda was a cheaper option :D.

I will update my thread about the Panda later, at the moment but don't have any news yet.
 New Car - Armel Coussine
I quite like the roly-poly look of Lygonos's new jalopy which will (with luck of course) be reliable, restful and not too dear to run. I like cars like that actually, although I wd have preferred a Nissan QX for its little 2 litre V6, oh yeah, creamy. I'd be more than happy with a Skoda Superb with leather and part time AWD.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 18 Mar 14 at 13:15
 New Car - Runfer D'Hills
Doc's quiet eh?

Maybe he woke up sober this morning and realised what he's done?

;-)))))
 New Car - Zero
Long appointment at his analyst I thnk
 New Car - Lygonos
Just back from work, thanks ;-)
 New Car - Runfer D'Hills
Found the online manual for you...

www.hortonsbooks.co.uk/image/cache/data/General%20Motoring/06381/06381_01-250x250.jpg
 New Car - Lygonos
Make an appointment for a check up.

tinyurl.com/Docinator
 New Car - rtj70
Shipman used to be my brother's doctor. Came across as a nice chap and into modern (IT) systems for his one man surgery in Hyde.
 New Car - Bromptonaut
Shipman was on duty as a junior at Pontefract Hospital in April 1972 when my Grandmother died and was signatory on her death certificate.

Consequently, hers was one of the cases reviewed in the latter phase of Dame Janet Smith's report.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 19 Mar 14 at 23:48
 New Car - Dog
>>Shipman used to be my brother's doctor. Came across as a nice chap and into modern (IT) systems for his one man surgery in Hyde.

Not Jekyll??
 New Car - rtj70
No Shipman's surgery was in Hyde, Greater Manchester - on Market Street in fact. His one man practice was opposite the building of a much larger practice in Hyde.

Somewhere near here: tinyurl.com/pcpebdo
 New Car - movilogo
I owned 2 Suzuki cars before and was pleased with them.

I thought of owning a Kizashi but then discarded the idea because [1] 2.4L petrol is too much load on wallet [2] there is no estate version.

Suzuki's new SX4 S-cross is also interesting.

New Car - Alastairw
The firm I worked for quoted Shipman to do his accounts. We must have quoted too high because he didn't sign up. He was definitely regarded as something of an odd fish.
 New Car - Lygonos
Wee update.

Just had its 9000 mile/1 year service: Oil change, rear diff oil change (1st service - after that it's level checks only) and usual checks - £170 inc courtesy Swift for the day and car picked up/delivered back to work (10 miles from dealer).

As I suspected when I bought the car, Suzuki finally pulled the Kizashi from the UK around June (and the rest of the world)

Checked offer on webuyanycar.com = 63-plate 9000miles: £10,000 so would expect £11-12k as a trade-in depending upon mark-up. Putting a 2yr older 61 model with 24000miles through WBAC returns £7585 which suggests depreciation won't be Citroen XM level....

As would be expected is still running/working perfectly, feels very slightly nippier when pulling from rest. The CVT remains a competent gearbox - used on part-throttle it is not that far away from a TC auto - flat-out it has the slingshot effect when you eventually lift-off

30-31mpg is the norm for my daily driving (5 miles to work, couple of local home visits, 6 mile round trip for lunch, 5 miles home)

Fast motorway (80-85mph indicated) returns 32-33mpg, 70mph motorway and A-roads at NSL more like 38-40mpg - no doubt helped by it turning 2000rpm at 70mph. Unlike the Swift which was 20% optimistic, the fuel computer is as near as damn it spot on.

Leather shows no sign of wear, heated seats are starting to be used although we've still not had any frost as of 30th November.

Switchable 4WD makes a noticeable difference when pulling from greasy junctions - zero wheelspin.

Main gripe is still the lack of headroom which isn't helped by the sunroof (which I almost never use) - have found a position that means I am comfortable but not as good as the Swift was: I like having the steering wheel fairly close (not quite rally driver style, but not semi-reclined either) and my legs quite extended which usually means the wheel at full 'out' and seatback fairly upright - I'm 6'5".

The 18 inch wheels are also unnecessary in my opinion: it doesn't have the performance of a sports car (30-70 around 9 sec) and the 8" wide wheels are easily kerbed as the 235s leave almost no rim protection (managed to avoid so far) - alternative sizes listed from other markets, and for snow tyres, are 215/60x16 and 215/55x17 both of which would likely be adequate, and possibly even more comfortable - my Forester Turbo has the 16 inch versions but unfortunately different stud pattern so I can't test this theory out.

New Car - Runfer D'Hills
Gosh, 6' 5" and you used to have a Suzuki Swift?

Must've looked like the airbags had gone off when you drove around in that !

;-)
 New Car - Lygonos
I think the Swift is designed for toting about wearing your hat (think HJ types) - crummy leg room behind me though.
 New Car - Lygonos
Front tyres were down to 2-3mm after nearly 17,000 miles (rears still at 6mm)

Must be a few more common models wearing 235/45x18 tyres as the prices have dropped a lot since last year.

OEM Dunlop RT Maxx are £134 each fitted via Blackcircles....

but I went for Uniroyal Rainsport 3 for £105 each fitted.

I reckon I can take a tiny reduction in dry performance for what appears to be a significant hike in wet weather safety.

www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/uniroyal/rainsport-3/235/45/R18/Y/98

Again, no rim protection (8" wide wheels) but so far, so good with kerbing avoidance.

Impressions after first 200 miles on cold (3-7c) and soaking roads is the steering is slightly more positive (and a tad lighter although that's fairly common when new tyres go on I find) on fast M-way curves although I can't claim to have tested the limits (and the old Dunlops still performed ok except on significant standing water at speed where the car could twitch to the right/left on entry)

Will be interesting to see how they perform when/if we get snow.

*Edit* - webuyanycar.com value it at £9000 exactly so it hasn't bombed too harshly.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 14 Dec 15 at 23:12
 New Car - WillDeBeest
Tyre prices are down because oil (ie raw material) prices are down.
 New Car - VxFan
>> I went for Uniroyal Rainsport 3
>> I reckon I can take a tiny reduction in dry performance for what appears to be a significant hike in wet weather safety.

Their dry performance is actually very good.

>> www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/uniroyal/rainsport-3/235/45/R18/Y/98

£11 cheaper from Camskill, but you'll have to find someone to fit them. Still gotta be cheaper than the all in price of £105 you paid though.

tinyurl.com/oepnn9f

>> Again, no rim protection (8" wide wheels) but so far, so good with kerbing avoidance.

That's odd. The 17" ones I had on my Vectra had rim protectors.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 15 Dec 15 at 01:47
 New Car - idle_chatterer
A question - shouldn't you change all 4 tyres with AWD ? I'd kinda resigned myself to that prospect with my Outback although they're wearing reasonably well and many tyre places around here offer 4 for - the probably inflated ;-) price of 3.
 New Car - Lygonos
>>shouldn't you change all 4 tyres with AWD

Possibly, but as the front and rear wear at different rates, and you don't get transmission wind-up with this type of 4wd I don't see it as a significant issue.

I'd have more reservations about having different tread patterns front and rear but I don't drive like a hero so doubt I'll reach that "the fronts have more grip than the rears" moment.

re Camskill - getting the tyres delivered would be £163, add another £30 to have them fitted/balanced/valve, add in the hassle of not just turning up and getting the job done from one visit to the keyboard, and also if there was a problem with a tyre having a garage to deal with rather than a postal issue... I decided cheapest might not be best this time.

New Car - WillDeBeest
...cheapest might not be best...

Exactly, Lygo. What you need is not 'tyres' - a commodity - but 'tyres replaced' - a service. Separating the supply part from the fitting part pitches most consumers into areas we don't have the technical knowledge to judge - are the tyres defect-free when they arrive? - and breaks the chain of accountability. Never mind what happens if a tyre is defective - I didn't mind packing up a scratched new LP to take to Collect+ but a 255x18 chunk of rubber?

Those who routinely do this will probably tell me it's no hassle, but really? For the sake of ten quid?
 New Car - Zero

>> - a service. Separating the supply part from the fitting part pitches most consumers into
>> areas we don't have the technical knowledge to judge - are the tyres defect-free when
>> they arrive? - and breaks the chain of accountability. Never mind what happens if a
>> tyre is defective - I didn't mind packing up a scratched new LP to take
>> to Collect+ but a 255x18 chunk of rubber?

As Pat will testify, there is no chain of accountability in the world of tyres
 New Car - Pat
>>As Pat will testify, there is no chain of accountability in the world of tyres<<

....and I'm still waiting for the phone call to pay for the replacement tyre!

Pat
 New Car - Bill Payer
>> Checked offer on webuyanycar.com = 63-plate 9000miles: £10,000 so would expect £11-12k as a trade-in
>> depending upon mark-up. Putting a 2yr older 61 model with 24000miles through WBAC returns £7585
>> which suggests depreciation won't be Citroen XM level....
>>
It's only money but I think it's unlikely you'll get more than the WBAC value as a p/x - of course the dealer could make it look like more by moving the figures around. Last p/x we did the dealer used WBAC to value it - it was a cheap car, but I was hoping for at least £1500 and got £1100 so a big percentage difference.

Could easily be worse on your car - a lot of dealers will be terrified of Kizashi.
 New Car - WillDeBeest
Bless you.
 New Car - Bill Payer
My glass is half-empty again.
 New Car - RattleandSmoke
I fitted the same Uniroyal Rainxperts to my Panda and have been very impressed with them. Had them around 18 months now, not checked for a while what tread they are on, but should be on around 4.5mm I would guess.

My car is 5.5 years old now and no plans to swap it yet Rob!
 New Car - Dog
>>I fitted the same Uniroyal Rainxperts to my Panda

Which are different to the docs www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/Rainsport-3.htm
 New Car - WillDeBeest
Forgive the question, Rats, but what can you tell about the merits of one tyre against another at 15mph between Manchester traffic jams?
 New Car - Dave_
>> >> shouldn't you change all 4 tyres with AWD

>> the front and rear wear at different rates, and you don't get transmission wind-up with this type of 4wd

Eep, I hadn't even considered that. Four days into Jeep ownership and I slipped off the edge of a country lane with enough force to slice the inner sidewall of its NSF tyre... missed the oncoming tractor though, which would have been a lot more expensive.

The tyres were all original, with 6mm remaining at 16k miles, so I've had a new OE replacement fitted. Conti CrossContact UHP 265/50R20 at £245!!!

I assume that the car's active 4WD auto/snow/mud/rock setup would be clever enough to eliminate any wind-up issues.

I'm absolutely in love with the car, tyre bills notwithstanding. It's everything the C-Class was but so much more comfortable and sure-footed.
 New Car - RattleandSmoke
Sometimes I do actually find a bit of open road! The main difference is the new ones grip a lot better when it is wet, my old ones were a bit scray sometimes, they were Eco 3s which are known to to be poor grippers.

New Car - Ted

'Ere Beest !......I hit nearly 26 the other day in the same traffic. Mind you, I was on the motorway and my chunky Westlakes keep me safe...even at that speed !

Ratto....can you get in touch please...a couple of tiny gremlins to sort out.
 New Car - Lygonos
As previously mentioned, sold the Kizashi at 27.5k miles after 3 yrs - got £8k from WBAC.com which was better than I expected back in 2014.

It has popped up for sale (pics to be added at time of this post) listed at £11.5k down from £12k at a garage that appears to have 4 other Kizashis for sale.

I wonder how long it'll be collecting dust for.

www.clarksofkidderminster.co.uk/used/suzuki-kizashi-24-sport-4x4-cvt-auto-aetv18666689
 New Car - Falkirk Bairn
Nearly £3,000 & nearly £200/mth over 5 years - eye wateringly expensive.

The garage are laying the price on thickly, say £3,000 margin, HUGE 13 % APR (on which they will get commission).

Whoever buys it is paying 50% above the car's trade market value + HP charges

Much cheaper getting a PCP deal with say 3 years warranty on a new car.
 New Car - mikeyb
Just looked on Autotrader and there are a total of 4 available within 100 miles. Clarks have 2 of them and boast of having 5 in stock.......why are they stocking so many!

I guess if your car went to WBAC then they probably picked it up through a BCA auction, but I don't think there is anyway to see sold prices
 New Car - Lygonos

>>Much cheaper getting a PCP deal with say 3 years warranty on a new car.

Or pay 9 grand for a 14-plate with the same miles

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701251653158
 New Car - Lygonos
Had another nosey to see how the old Kizzer was doing.

Now listed at £10,400.

www.clarksofkidderminster.co.uk/used/suzuki-kizashi-24-sport-4x4-cvt-auto-aetv18666689

I wonder if I would get it with a cheeky offer of.... £8k? :-)
Latest Forum Posts