Motoring Discussion > Travel Insurance Question Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Telb Replies: 9

Travel Insurance Question - Telb
I just received the email below from a friend on holiday in Spain. For the uninitiated, Red Pennant is the Caravan Club's overseas travel insurance. Apart from the schadenfreude value, what is the panel's view? I'll post my reply tomorrow - suffice to say Relate features!
/////

Hi, just suppose that someone's mate was about to disembark from the Plymouth -Santander ferry when his wife accidentally locked the car keys in the car. After various attempts to get into the car by him and some of the crew, some damaging the bodywork, he is told that he has two minutes before they have to reload the ferry and unless he is off by then he will be going back to UK! So he has to break a window. Now, in this hypothetical case, do you think red pennet insurance would cover the cost of replacing the glass? Purely hypothetically of course!!

/////
 Travel Insurance Question - Duncan
Just how did she lock the cars in the car - or is it a story?
 Travel Insurance Question - Bromptonaut
In past you could lock key in car quite easily. Locks were manual so passenger door(s) and tailhatch were locked unless you'd opened them. Default was then to lock driver's door by pushing door rim lock down and slamming door while holding latch up.

Done it myelf in Pug 104 c1983 outside Mrs B to be's digs. Borrowed her bike and rode home with splayed knees to collect spare.

Watched a lass in a Polo do it at Derwent reservoir roughly same year - expression on her face a nanosecond after door shut said it all. In that case somebody had a coat hanger......

Was possible to slam lock my Y2K Xantia in same way but only through rear doors. Quite difficult to persuade garage it was safe to lock spare key in that way and leave car for me to collect off later train.

How you do it today is a story that needs telling.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 21 May 14 at 21:28
 Travel Insurance Question - rtj70
It would be easy to lock keys in the boot of a car that has a remote boot opening button, e.g. like my Passat CC. Not that I've done it mind. I did once in a Honda Accord may years ago. Luckily it had a remote boot opening lever that hadn't been locked with the key so packing tape was used to hook that up.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 21 May 14 at 21:30
 Travel Insurance Question - Telb
It appears car is a Hyundai Tucson, keys were on seat when door was closed and 30 seconds later the doors locked automatically. Repairs will cost over 300 euros, divorce much more:-)
 Travel Insurance Question - R.P.
I doubt whether the insurance company will cover the cost.
 Travel Insurance Question - ....
Modern saloons are great for this.
Open the boot with the remote, rest of the car stays locked. Put the key down for a moment while lifting heavy load into boot, close the lid, now where did I put those keys ?

Never done it myself but now that I've typed it out guess who'll be back tomorrow with a tale of his wife having to bring the spare key to work.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 22 May 14 at 19:47
 Travel Insurance Question - R.P.
Of course, like Humph, I'd never drive off with the keys in the office and park up a mile away....and realise !
 Travel Insurance Question - ....
Hamlet moment when you wished gb designed cars and we still had to use a cranking handle.
 Travel Insurance Question - jc2
May be covered on windscreen insurance-most cover ALL glass.It was hit by a stone,of course.
Last edited by: jc2 on Fri 23 May 14 at 16:04
Latest Forum Posts