Motoring Discussion > Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage
Thread Author: Hugo Replies: 11

Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Hugo
The best one I've seen personally without a doubt was a 1999 Nissan Almera in silver.

About 70k on the clock, so not low mileage, but you could tell that servicing had not been scrimped on.

When I first saw the car I thought it belonged to one of the lads who worked there, but on closer inspection it was very clean, and there were no mods etc. I'm not sure if it had MOT on it but I would have thought it would pass without a problem.

Then I was told that this was the car that they were proposing removing the front off side hub from for me. I needed the hub and a quick check with the dealership confirmed it would fit but I felt quite terrible about breaking that one up.

The 1.4L engine ran perfectly, the interior was spotless. The bodywork was also spotless bar a small dent on the rear wing. There was no doubt about it - the car had been very well looked after.

Having said that it would have probably been worth about £650 as a runner, and it was worth min £2k as a trade in.

I couldn't help but feel that the scrapage scheme had robbed someone of a really good car for reasonable money.

Oh, well - I had 3 of the tyres including the unused spare as well :)
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Bellboy
if you go to copart york www.u-pull-it.co.uk/home.html the best breakers they have are scrappage cars
a lot of the breakers i use have scrappage cars in
it would make you cry to see good cars with their limbs ripped off to appease big business and this govt
even hj was in appraisal of the scrappage scheme this is when i thought maybe his roots to car trading had finally been lost.......
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Zero
A 2000 V reg Facelifted scenic 2.0 litre privelege with 47k on the clock and 11 months mot - a perfect runner apparently
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - R.P.
Just hiding the above so I can e-mail Humph to take his tablet before he checks in ! :-)
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Runfer D'Hills
No, it's fine really HD. All under cccconttttrol.....tic tic tic
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - R.P.
Too late - we might be able to trade Humph in now..
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Hugo
FiL was toying with the idea of scrapping his low mileage X reg Picasso in under the scheme. I mentioned to him that if he was seriously thinking of doing that, let me buy the car with his money and trade my old discovery in, then I would transfer the car to him, and we could sell his picasso privately. The only issue is that he would show up as the 2nd owner, not the first.

That way he would have still made a saving and I could have got a very good price for the Disco.

I really think that the scheme could have been better concieved to favour cars that really needed to be scrapped - I would have teared it, the older the car the more money it was worth.

Another idea would be to allow cars that would pass an MOT to be 'bought back' out of the scrappage scheme by the trade so they could be sold on. This would have put money back into the scheme to be used for more cars that really needed to go. This idea would be largely self selecting in that market forces would determine which cars would be bought back, and leave the real rubbish where it belongs.

That way, that tidy little Nissan Almera that I saw could have been put back into use. It's new owner wouldn't have been able to scrap it under the scheme as they wouldn't have had it long enough. Whereas a vehicle, like my old disco would have been unlikely to have been bought back and would have gone for spares.
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - tyro
"it would make you cry to see good cars with their limbs ripped off to appease big business and this govt"

It does, Bellboy, it does. Or if I have not actually been made to weep, I have at least been made very angry.
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Bagpuss
>> if you go to copart york www.u-pull-it.co.uk/home.html the best breakers they have are scrappage cars

Thanks for the link. I am amazed and shocked at some of the stuff being broken. I didn't realise used cars had got that cheap in the UK. Shame to see how many people seem to have exchanged an interesting and roadworthy set of wheels for a Korean white good with a 1 litre engine.
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - -
I collected a few loads when the scheme first started, my very first scrapper was a R reg 1 lady owner 60(ish)k Civic 3 door that was as new, another was a R (i think) 19k Corsa auto.
The prize goes to the 60/70k 3 series BM and the special 'why cup' goes to the 12k Focus, both of these one owner as was the 35k Toyota Starlet that the mechs were very nearly crying over at one Toyota garage where it had been serviced from new.

The scheme could have been excellent if some of the rubbish we see every day could have been scrapped in place of the better quality older cars, it wouldn't have been difficult to have a grading system...typical government (term used loosely) hash up.
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Dave_
A friend of mine chopped in his owned-from-new 46k mile T-reg Suzuki Swift for a brand-new 'un last year. A real shame as I was having serious car- and wallet- troubles at the time and he would have let me have it for £200 if he'd have known.
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - J500ANT
We scrapped a 2 owner FSH 63k VW Golf 1.4L 1996 - that externally looked immaculate. However it had previously been a cat C orD total loss (vandalism) and repaired, VIC'd and reused. It also had a gearbox that didn't work in 2nd and 4th gear and was heading for the scrap heap (or ebay) anyway.

My mate told me his work took a 97 Tigra 1.6 auto with 13k in on Scrappage, but i'm not sure that'd qualify as a best car (unless you're a hairdresser!)
Latest Forum Posts