Motoring Discussion > Suzuki - Condemned... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: .... Replies: 10

Suzuki - Condemned... - ....
I've just taken my bike for a new set of tyres at just under 3,300 miles. The bike was serviced at the main dealers less than 500 miles previous. I now understand why pads should be taken out and visually inspected as part of each and every service, especially with a bike.

The workshop manager called me into the workshop and the tyre fitter showed me the rear pads, they are disintegrating in the centre with, I reckon, about 50% of the pad surface missing in the middle. Any visual inspection would not show this or indicate this as the outside edges look fine.

My bike is now condemned and has a big red stamp on the receipt as being unfit for road use. I've had to order the pads as no one has any in stock.

Inconvenienced? Yes, upset ? No. I'd rather find out this way than when I really need them.

Bit peeved at paying main dealer rates for half a job though.
 Suzuki - Condemned... - R.P.
Letter and photos and ask for an explanation...
I've contacted Suzuki, waiting for them to come back to me.

Once this has been sorted think I'll resort to doing my own servicing as the 2 year manufacturers warranty is now up. I need to know the work is being done.
 Suzuki - Condemned... - R.P.
I was let down badly by a local bike shop with the 80GS....went back there to MoT the scoot but I've finished with them now.
 Suzuki - Condemned... - martint123
I've always done my own servicing. Half the dealer cost is the time taken to remove and replace the plastics which takes little if any skill - just time.

As mentioned, when you do it yourself you know it has been done.
Although I have struggled and failed replacing tyres.
 Suzuki - Condemned... - Harleyman
I've only ever once paid a Harley dealership to do anything, and that was in France a couple of years ago. Thankfully I served my apprenticeship in REME as a vehicle mechanic and although I haven't practised my trade for many years most of the skills can still be dredged up at need.

I'm also fortunate to have a detailed database (and experienced friends) at hand should any task prove, as is often the case, to require a little more know-how than usual. Many motorcyclists deride Harleys as being old-fashioned but when it comes to doing your own stuff that is a distinct advantage. Like you I leave tyres well alone though; like plastering in the DIY world I find tyre fitting a black art best left to folk who do it regularly.

gmac that is not good. My Sportster is still on its original rear pads at 21,000 miles though I doubt they'll last much longer. Even given that on a sports bike they'll get much more use, for tyres to effectively outlast brake pads is very poor.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 8 Sep 14 at 13:41
It is pretty shocking for the rear tyre to outlive the brake pads, especially when you consider the tyre only did 3200 miles including the running in period.

I'm not heavy on the rear brake it's more a fine tune/balance act than any real braking. Sports bikes are not renowned for their rear brakes.

On the plus side Michelin Pilot Power 3s are a massive improvement over the Bridgestone BT016s. Can't seem to get rid of the chicken strips in the middle of the tread never mind the edges.

As you can probably tell the rear pads have been done. Needless to say OE pads were not used.

Suzuki have not acknowledged receipt of my complaint. Par for the course Customer Service these days.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 8 Sep 14 at 17:45
 Suzuki - Condemned... - Harleyman
>> Suzuki have not acknowledged receipt of my complaint. Par for the course Customer Service these
>> days.
>>

I'm afraid you're right there. I never got official acknowledgement from H-D that they'd screwed up (took them three weeks to get a rear pulley, something that is a dealer stock item in the USA) although through my contacts as a former president of our club, I did find out that the dealership got a serious dressing down from head office in the USA.
 Suzuki - Condemned... - Zero
>> >> Suzuki have not acknowledged receipt of my complaint. Par for the course Customer Service
>> these
>> >> days.

Well what the hell do you expect? You reported the issue on Saturday 6th? Today is Monday 8th?

No-one has the right to expect an acknowledgement in 8 working hours.
You're right, that fabled Japanese quality must be a myth.
They must be inundated. :-)
Received the standard blah blah blah "Please accept our apologies for any disappointment caused as a consequence of your concerns."

Brakes should have been done as part of a service take it up with the dealer as Suzuki were not party to this...

Looked at the pads again this morning, they would not have handled one hard braeking incident. The brake lining and backing have completely sheared leaving a pile of rust on the backing. Obviously sintered pads and organic pads would not rust.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 11 Sep 14 at 11:26
Latest Forum Posts