Motoring Discussion > Changing cars. Why me? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 36

Changing cars. Why me? - legacylad
Is it always so difficult, or is it just me? That's probably a rhetorical question. It's just me. Currently I have my much loved 330 10yo ragtop & the 2010 A3 1.6 Tdi Sportback. I walk to my part time job, drive less than 10k miles pa and cannot justify two vehicles. A recent short term additional part time job has meant carrying lots of gear, which just fits in the A3, so ownership has proved really useful. The 330 is now totally impractical for transporting two elderly relatives on a fortnightly basis, and having to collect, then hitch up the trailer is becoming a pain. Then they complain about the hard suspension in the trailer and the BiB are not impressed!
Options: A3 is going on AT this week at a knockdown price. But, it's the wrong time of year to get a decent price on the 330, so I might just have to bite the bullet and let it go after six years.
Replacement : a practical 5 door with half decent performance. The A3 is actually large enough, which has really surprised me. I have tried the 2.0 TFSI but the ride was too hard in Sline spec, the engine was not overly impressive and i have read unfavourable reviews of the Tdi 170. And I don't really want a diesel. I was going a 330 Touring, probably 2 or 3 yo, but it is probably larger than I really need. And petrols in the spec I want are impossible to find. And I don't fancy an A4 avant. Slightly too large again, and front wheel drive.
So full circle. The oldies will just have to put up with the 330, and fight over the front seat. Not that they can do much fighting with a combined age of 184. And depreciation on an S4 estate, even at 3yo, is too much to bear. Too large in reality, but adequate performance and I can cope with the running costs, apart from the aforementioned depreciation.
Time for a lie down...
 Changing cars. Why me? - Runfer D'Hills
3 Series Touring isn't all that big LL, can't be, girls drive them...

;-)
Girls drive E class estates too....my ex ex had one. An L reg lumbering E200. Fabulous work horse when we were ' in trade'. Although she preferred 'Sammy Syncro' her VW Transporter. I used to sit in the back and keep my backside warm on the engine. The dogs felt safer there as well, seat belts or not!
Big Mercs don't lumber, they waft. Big Volvos lumber.

;-)
 Changing cars. Why me? - Old Navy
>> Big Mercs don't lumber, they waft. Big Volvos lumber.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

I thought it was a posh Astra van, or is it based on a Sprinter? :)
 Changing cars. Why me? - No FM2R
Sorry LL, I've got to ask....

>>my ex ex had one

I noticed a reference to your "ex" a couple of weeks ago. And now an "ex ex".

Care to share a little more to satisfy my nosiness?
 Changing cars. Why me? - Alastairw
But can you get a 3.0 petrol - they are not common. Would a 330d do? I know its a diseasal, but its a pretty smooth motor, and they are much more common.
 Changing cars. Why me? - Avant
Apart from the financial side, you have the ideal situation as you are with the two cars - the 330 for fun, the A3 for your job and for transporting the ancients.

I presume that insurance is the main extra cost, as the A3's road tax must be fairly low. Is there any insurance policy that would cover you for limited miles in the 330 for a reduced premium?

The risks of selling both cars and buying something else are the usual ones of buying a car pre-owned by someone who may not have given it the care that you do, and the very real possibility of seeing a car you particularly like and paying a bit over the odds for it - thus spending more than you would have done running the two cars.

Keeping the two for now must be worth a thought.
Very sensible proposal Avant. Speaking also from some experience, if the Audi is to be used for work It'll not be long before it gets hashed about a bit, which is fine if you have a Sunday car too. T'other thing is, if you live in a household with only one car, and that car even temporarily doesn't work or something, then it all gets a bit inconvenient. If you have the space to store two, and don't especially need the money from one of them, you might have inadvertently hit upon your own best solution already.
 Changing cars. Why me? - Bromptonaut
Lot to be said for Runfer's solution.
Well, it's Avant's idea really. I was just agreeing with him and adding my tuppence.

But I do think it might be the answer short term anyway. If next summer it makes sense to sell the BMW on it'll maybe do better then and the Audi might trade in easier if that was the plan then.

That's if living with TWO girls cars on the drive for a while doesn't bother you of course...

;-)))
I have a garage Runfer.
It is used for its intended purpose. The only thing that lives on my drive is a little moss, and after bring treated recently with Roundup that won't be around your long.
And the offer to stay FOC with my Tahoe chums is retracted. As of now.
:-)
On second thoughts they need a house sitter 20 thru 28 Dec. A fridge full of food is provided, ample drinks, 4 person hot tub, car to use, nice sun deck and scenic drive up 50 to Tahoe resorts. Shame about the cost of flights.

They are decamping to Sun Valley, Idaho for the duration. Nice ski area, already open.
Yeah, but you'd be bound to get bored with all that eventually wouldn't you? You'd miss all the things which are better about living in the North of England. I'll see if I can think of some examples. Might take a while. I'll get back to you...

;-)
 Changing cars. Why me? - Old Navy
>>You'd miss all the things which are better about living in the North of England. I'll
>> see if I can think of some examples.

Don't need winter tyres ? :)
You certainly do need winter tyres where they live. Either that or mess with 'chain control' when it dumps around Tahoe. Winter tyres go on both their Outback & Tundra. Having driven out of resorts in virtual blizzard conditions I was most impressed by the extra capability they offer.
 Changing cars. Why me? - Auntie Lockbrakes
I'd echo Avant & Runfer's comments: do nothing for the time-being. You can afford to keep them both for 6 months and bide your time. At some point something will come along that takes your fancy. The Audi sounds ideal for day-to-day work over the winter.
 Changing cars. Why me? - MD
How much would the 330 make? Just asking like........
That's the 64 $million question. The honest answer is probably a lot less than its worth to me. I know it's history from day1, recently spent upwards of £500 on a major service, new rear discs & pads and it has £900 worth of Michelin Alpins fitted. Not new but plenty of tread to get safely around soaking NYorks roads.
Twice I have been tempted by Boxsters and chickened out, despite knowing their owners. Nor could I honestly justify both a fun car and a practical one at the moment. At some point it will have to go for purely practical purposes, being replaced by either a 330 or 335 Touring. But it is 'old tech' and runs like a dream, and my garage contacts tell me that the 335 is not as reliable.
And I repeat my question Sir.
It's electronically limited to 155....
Oh, you mean pounds, shillings and pence. Apologies for avoiding the question MD, but I am almost as attached to it as my Lakeland terrier. Will sleep on it. Sorry for the procrastination.
I'll look up that procreating stuff. Gotta get my head around it! When travelling in a 1984 Turbo Technics altered XR4i, the driver and I nearly gave birth to a brownie when passing Northholt aerodrome when the 'thing' temporarily slipped sideways at an indicated 146. It was sold soon afterwards. Hell of a beast though. 90 does me now, never mind 155. It's how it gets there that counts. Can just see 'er indoors Audrey Hepburn headscarf and all that. I'll keep some pocket money back.

Reargards, MD
 Changing cars. Why me? - rtj70
So if an Audi A3 Sportback was big enough but lacked in power. Get an Audi S3 Sportback. Or even RS3. Current model better than the previous car. Maybe not cheap enough for you though.
By a strange coincidence I looked at an RS3 Sportback last week. Just up the road from me at Audi Lindale. Lovely colour, Daytona Grey, and I had the oldies with me as they like a slow walk on the prom at Grange over Mud.
They only things putting me off were, could I stand the firm ride, and lack of a sunroof. I know that the latter is not everyone's cup of Darjeeling, but after 6 years of roof down on the BM at every possible opportunity, I might get cabin fever without one. At the upper end of my performance requirements, and over budget, but would keep for a similar 6 years. Unless stolen. Not bragging, but my IAM membership certainly reduces insurance costs, and in the grand scheme of things I can afford the depreciation over that time scale. But a 330/335 Touring would still be more than acceptable. Even if they are girls cars.
Thank you for the suggestion though. Much appreciated.
>> Lovely colour, Daytona Grey,

I might know someone with an A3 saloon in that colour :-) Quite nice. Must wash it soon.

>> They only things putting me off were, could I stand the firm ride, and lack of a sunroof.

Does the RS3 not come with adaptive dampers as standard? The ride on adaptive dampers won't be as firm as you expect. Certainly will have been optional. I'm only familiar with current A3 spec. And there's currently only an S3 for the Audi A3 8V.

EDIT: Just looked at Audi Magnetic Ride is still only an option on a current S3. I opted for sport not S-Line suspension and risked not needing the adaptive dampers (had them on the Passat CC). It's really comfortable. I'm glad I didn't get the lowered by 10mm S-Line suspension. But also glad I didn't get standard non-sport suspension.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 11 Dec 14 at 23:19
 Changing cars. Why me? - WillDeBeest
Hard to credit such excitement about a shade of grey ('colour' is too strong a word) but I was curious and found even more of it here:
fourtitude.com/news/audi-rumors-renders-spy-photos/daytona-grey-fans-take-note-my2015-year-a4-s-line-competition-confirmed/

At least it'll make your Audi stand out from all the black ones - if not against the tarmac.
 Changing cars. Why me? - Lygonos
Same grey as my Kizashi
 Changing cars. Why me? - WillDeBeest
Bless you
 Changing cars. Why me? - Armel Coussine
Nice colour, but a bit shiny. Matt or semi-matt primer, perhaps a bit patchy or with a yellow tail panel... That metallic grey is very nice though.
 Changing cars. Why me? - Lygonos
Had to miss out the final letter or the swear filter would crap itself.
 Changing cars. Why me? - Boxsterboy
Looks very similar to the Seal Grey my Boxster was painted.
That link makes it sound like only exclusive models get it. Maybe in the USA. But in Europe, it's available on S-Line trim models. So that's A1, A3, A4, A5, A6, etc. But clearly you're not allowed it on an SE model.

It is a nice grey - but not metallic. It's pearlescent.

If you pay Audi enough, you can have any colour on any car. About £2000!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 12 Dec 14 at 17:39
Enough procrastination....£6000. Will also pay for a nights B & B in Settle because I am a good egg! Or so the oldies tell me.
That should just about cover an 18 day trip down the Grand Canyon in a dory with OARS, flights, and a few weeks with my Californian friends doing the usual.
MD, if you are further interested please contact me via the mods and I can provide all details and as many photos as you like.
Or, if it's a nice one,

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/how-to/9985079/How-to-make-your-car-a-film-star.html

Changing cars. Why me? - Armel Coussine
Talking of cars and stars, there's a photo of Elvis Presley's widow with what is carelessly described as 'one of his cars' in today's comic. You can't see the whole car, but it's a white Lincoln Continental and very nice too. One of the best-looking big US jalopies ever, that particular Continental.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 16 Dec 14 at 17:32
 Changing cars. Why me? - Bromptonaut
There's an exhibition of Presley artefacts on tour in UK at the moment. Heard a few puffs on the wireless for it, including Women's Hour. Suspect piece in the bellylaff is more 'product placement'.
Latest Forum Posts