Motoring Discussion > International Driving Permit (IDP) Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 4

International Driving Permit (IDP) - Fullchat
I'm currently doing some work on a presentation around foreign vehicles and foreign driving licences in the UK.
Some of that has revolved around the IDP. I have easily found the requirements for UK citizens visiting those countries that require an IDP but am struggling with information regarding citizens from abroad coming to the UK particularly regarding English speaking countries like USA, Australia etc. whose licences are composed in English as the IDP is basically a translation.
Any help from our resident globetrotters - AC, No FM2R?
 International Driving Permit (IDP) - tyrednemotional
...does this help

www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

(As far as I can elicit, no-one with a valid driving licence needs an IDP in the UK, though the period of validity of an overseas, non-EU licence may be limited).

Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 4 Dec 14 at 10:20
 International Driving Permit (IDP) - CGNorwich
That is correct. Probably because of our famed multi-linguistic abilities our authorities don't need translations unlike some of those those pesky foreigners in strange and distant lands who can't speak English and need an IDP.
 International Driving Permit (IDP) - Armel Coussine
>> our authorities don't need translations unlike some of those those pesky foreigners in strange and distant lands who can't speak English and need an IDP.

I've got an old one somewhere. Got it I think when I went to the US in the seventies - it was thought that American police wouldn't be able to decipher anything foreign even if it was in English.

Can't remember ever having to show it anywhere, although I suppose I must have done once or twice at least. But if you're driving something and don't screw up in front of the local fuzz they seem to assume you have a right to be driving that vehicle. They don't usually want to harass you or waste your time or theirs.

There are places though where you have to have permits for everything including taking photos.
 International Driving Permit (IDP) - Armel Coussine
>> it was thought that American police wouldn't be able to decipher anything foreign even if it was in English.

I've remembered now: it was hinted (on the snooty eastern seaboard) that some policemen wouldn't be too good at reading - the Tex-Mex border was specified - so it was a good idea to have a driving licence or permit with your mugshot on it. Then they could stare at you and it through narrowed eyes before giving a reluctant, none-too-convinced sort of nod and very slowly handing it back.

I don't blame them really. If I were Old Bill I'd enjoy doing a bit of narrow-eyed menace too. It's just human nature to remind people that it isn't just a bed of roses, however cheerful they may seem.
Latest Forum Posts