Motoring Discussion > Truck skids on ice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ateca chris Replies: 9

Truck skids on ice - Ateca chris
tinyurl.com/pqom5xx
 Truck skids on ice - BobbyG
The camera vehicle didn't seem to have any issues stopping on the road - wonder if the pick up had just wandered and the driver over-corrected?
 Truck skids on ice - Armel Coussine
>> wonder if the pick up had just wandered and the driver over-corrected?

I did that on the way back from London tonight. Ice was threatened and I mimsed along at and below the limit on the whole, although out of London there wasn't much traffic. It was very quiet and relaxing and I only overtook a couple of worse mimsers than me. It was dry of course and the mimsing was mostly unnecessary. But I was caught out by a puddle on a lefthand bend with water scattered beyond it by other cars which had frozen. The jalopy wagged its tail and I was a bit slow and violent with the correction. You really, really don't want to hit a kerb so that was all right then. Not a real moment, but a sort of momentette.

The London traffic was atrocious. There are many exceptions of course, but a lot of little cars were mimsing sulkily about getting in the way, still hungover from New Year or just half-witted. Vans and lorries are much better, but there aren't enough of them.

My internal map of London, which used to be comprehensive, is slowly dissolving. Cognitive decline I'm afraid. I still know bits of it very well, but apart from anything else strategic roads and back-doubles are closed all over the place for maintenance which isn't happening.

There must be many worse places known to people here, and to me actually. But I don't like the Smoke turning hostile on me. Don't like it one bit.
 Truck skids on ice - Focusless
>> tinyurl.com/pqom5xx

Try 'Car Crash TV' Channel 5 7:30pm Mondays. Saw some of it last night; does what it says on the tin :)

www.channel5.com/shows/car-crash-tv

Last night's episode repeated on Ch5+24 (freeview 55) tonight.
 Truck skids on ice - Dave_
That's not a truck skidding on some ice. THIS is a truck skidding on some ice:

youtu.be/O7ApxVyskuI
 Truck skids on ice - Zero
Ok, so there you are, sitting on the freeway, you have a fair degree of space up front to manoeuvre, and in your rear view mirror you see a road train sliding wildly out of control towards you.

Do you:

• Keep one eye on your mirror, one eye on the road ahead and make the necessary manoeuvres to try and keep out of harms way.

• or

• Keep your foot on the brake, grab your camera and swivel in your seat to film your possible demise

Answers on a post card please.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Jan 15 at 09:07
 Truck skids on ice - Robin O'Reliant

>> Answers on a post card please.

First thing I thought, too. The guy does seem a bit of a camera obsessed idiot.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 20 Jan 15 at 11:01
 Truck skids on ice - Old Navy
>>
>> >> Answers on a post card please.
>>
>> First thing I thought, too. The guy does seem a bit of a camera obsessed
>> idiot.
>>

I'm surprised that he (or she) didn't manage to get their face in the shot, it seems to be the done thing these days with camera obsessives.
 Truck skids on ice - Cliff Pope
It's amazing how easily a vehicle can turn over if a sliding wheel hits something.

I remember once having to stop on going up an icy hill because of a blockage ahead.
The car wouldn't hold on the brakes, and began to slide very slowly back down the hill. It turned round 180 degrees in slow motion and then very gently bumped against a low grassy kerb. It rocked alarmingly and then settled back down on its wheels.

On the occasions when I have been rolling scrap cars over to dismantle them I have been surprised at the rolling momentum a car has once started.

So it's not really surprising that a vehicle travelling at say 40 mph can end up in a tree once instability is induced. A bit like the skill with which a judo fighter uses his opponent's own momentum.
 Truck skids on ice - Slidingpillar
Road is wet with patches of ice. Speed is a bit too high for the conditions to start with and then the pickupdriving idiot decides to overtake.

I know the area, roads get horrid in times like that.
Latest Forum Posts