Motoring Discussion > Corrie's Rita banned for Drink Driving Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 16

Corrie's Rita banned for Drink Driving - Falkirk Bairn
Marginally over the English levels - Banned for 12 months - to be expected BUT Fined £3,000 and £1750 costs

Is this a common thing - a fine in thousands and costs of £1750? or is this because she is well healed after donkey's years on the TV.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 24 Jan 15 at 18:14
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Bromptonaut
Fine should be proportionate to income so assuming Corrie pays its stars well (and I'm sure it does) she will be whacked hard. Costs are those of the prosecution and would presumably be same for anybody.

This case is odd though in that it's taken 9 months from offence to sentence. If, at her behest, her lawyers dragged it out challenging the Crown's evidence, the integrity of the test etc than (obviously) the costs will be more.

She'll have her own bills to pay too of course.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Fullchat
She did spin it out, went for trial and made all sorts of irrelevant allegations. The offence was committed last March. A normal guilty plea can be sorted at the next available court date. Mr Loophole would have cost her as well. I'm sure she can afford it.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Harleyman
According to reports at the time of the incident, she used the "Do you KNOW who I am?" attitude so presumably they did and fined her accordingly. I suspect she was punished as much for messing the court around as for the actual offence.

She'd have been far better advised to take the rap at the first opportunity and keep her gob shut.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - RattleandSmoke
Drink driving is a black and white offence, you're either over the limit or you're not. For that reason I never drink and drive, and if I have had a big night out the night before I simply will not drive the next day.

That said she comes from a generation when drink driving was normal to an extent. A year is fairly lenient compared to a lot of sentences although that might be because she was only slightly over. With the loss of Anne Kirkbride it has not been her week.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 12:31
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - commerdriver
>> She'd have been far better advised to take the rap at the first opportunity and
>> keep her gob shut.
>>
Having read today's BBC report, it looks as though the advice she should have taken was not to drive home from the police station which is when she was actually arrested if I have read it right.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Zero
>> According to reports at the time of the incident, she used the "Do you KNOW
>> who I am?" attitude so presumably they did and fined her accordingly. I suspect she
>> was punished as much for messing the court around as for the actual offence.

It was the DYKWIA attitude that got her nicked, let alone fined heavily.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Fullchat
If she'd pleaded guilty she would have her licence back in a few weeks. Providing she got a 12 month ban. Don't know whether she got a 'resit test' imposed which could be a hurdle considering her senior years.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Bromptonaut
>> A year is fairly lenient compared to a lot of sentences although that might be because she was only slightly over

IIRC 12 months is normal ban for first offence unless more than 50% over limit. Longer for repeat offenders and those multiple times over limit.

Accoding to BBC report Knox's daughter was arrested for same offence and actor drove to police station to visit her. Presumably she smelled of drink and or showed signs of intoxication so Plod advised her not to drive and offered her a lift home. Her arrest and test was result of ignoring advice/offer.

Daughter, who was pushing three times limit copped a two year ban.

Both will also have a truckload of points which will make insurance difficult following return of licence.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 13:44
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - R.P.
Arrogance knows no bounds....
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Robin O'Reliant
Ena Sharples will be spinning in her grave. She might even spill her Milk Stout.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - mikeyb
>> Accoding to BBC report Knox's daughter was arrested for same offence and actor drove to
>> police station to visit her. Presumably she smelled of drink and or showed signs of
>> intoxication so Plod advised her not to drive and offered her a lift home. Her
>> arrest and test was result of ignoring advice/offer.

I wonder how often plod offer Joe public a lift home to prevent them committing an offence?

......still, nice to know that level of service is open to all of us
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - No FM2R
>>I wonder how often plod offer Joe public a lift home to prevent them committing an offence?

Dunno how often, but I've been driven home when [probably] over the limit rather than driving once. By Thames Valley.

Actually, now I think about it, I've been given a lift by the police several times in my life when drunk; that's was just the only one that was to my place rather than theirs.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - No FM2R
>>Plod advised her not to drive and offered her a lift home

That's the really dumb bit. The police have advised you not to drive but you say you will anyway. What did she think would happen next? She should have got an extra 25% for being a dumb-ass.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Armel Coussine
>> a dumb-ass.

Yes. Stupidity, not arrogance.

Could be a publicity boost thing of course. But a stupid one if so.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - Slidingpillar
Yes. Stupidity, not arrogance.

Nah, both I think. Stupid, arrogant, self centred and the sort of person I'm glad lives nowhere near me.
 Corrie's Rita banned for Drunk Driving - rtj70
>> >>Plod advised her not to drive and offered her a lift home
>> That's the really dumb bit.

And they offered this to her knowing who she was. Most might not get the offer. I think she was dumb.
Latest Forum Posts