Motoring Discussion > Cameras and aerials on traffic lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 27

Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - bathtub tom
Anyone suggest what all this paraphernalia is on top of these traffic lights?

The lights are on a pedestrian controlled crossing, on a one-way street in a 20MPH limit.

The cameras on the far light each have a small whip aerial. There's a rectangular, glazed lens just above the top of the near light and I suspect the square structures are Microwave aerials.

i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bathtubshare/Photo-0020_zpszta4gxbq.jpg
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Slidingpillar
CCTV? Taking advantage of the pole etcetera.
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Bromptonaut
>> CCTV? Taking advantage of the pole etcetera.

Some types of crossing (Puffin?) have cameras or heat sensors to detect pedestrians, for example a slow moving older person, taking longer than normal to cross and hold the red phase for longer.
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Old Navy
If the two small cylindrical cameras are pointed at two traffic lanes they could be ANPR cameras. The square back to back aerials may be a link relay of some sort (CCTV?).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 15:53
>> If the two small cylindrical cameras are pointed at two traffic lanes they are probably
>> ANPR cameras. The square back to back aerials may be a link relay of some
>> sort.

Detection of red light offences is another possibility though that usually needs a flash.
Our digital combined red light and speed on green cameras are boxes on tall poles.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 16:00
>> Our digital combined red light and speed on green cameras are boxes on tall poles.

So was the red light one that got me in Leicester. The things in BT's picture look like cameras, not just heat detectors, and seem to be aimed at or before the stop line.

I've no idea what types of cameras are approved for RLJ enforcement but would be surprised if there are not multiple designs.
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - WillDeBeest
...for example a slow moving older person...

Can they detect age as well as slowness? The volatile compounds in a Werther's Original, perhaps?
I should have said all the cameras are pointing at traffic approaching the crossing.
>> I should have said all the cameras are pointing at traffic approaching the crossing.
>>

That would suggest ANPR, more so if it is a main (ish) road.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 23 Jan 15 at 17:34
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - BobbyG
I remember many years ago in Glasgow they introduced some sort of remote control for the traffic lights in the city centre for emergency vehicles.
All the lights would change to green on their approach.

I think the scheme failed msierably
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - BobbyG
www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=7425

Now it looks like its the busses that get priority.
We have lots of this type of camera on traffic lights and on other roadside furniture in central Scotland.

tinyurl.com/pjdlquw
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - TheManWithNoName
Could be this?

www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/why_750_000_has_been_spent_adding_grey_boxes_on_norwich_s_traffic_lights_1_3836647
That looks exactly like part of the set-up. Thanks.
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Armel Coussine
The house used by my late Carnival costume band friend as a 'camp' for assembling costumes etc. stands on a busy five-way junction in Harrow Road, five minutes by car from Notting Hill. there are a lot of those cameras on poles and attached to traffic lights all over the junction.

One camera, about 20 yards away on the same level, was permanently trained on the window of the second-floor room where for three or four months of the year Carnival stars, foot-soldiers and deadbeats sat about all day smoking lots of dope.

I have to say, the Met has a very intelligent reasonable side, displayed to good effect in that area in that season.
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Armel Coussine
>> I have to say, the Met has a very intelligent reasonable side, displayed to good effect in that area in that season.

Of course it's still the fuzz, sworn to uphold the law by force if necessary. The intelligent reasonable comportment has two components: 'Everything's cool so far, so don't make waves and ask for trouble, who gives a damn anyway', and at the same time an element of 'Softly softly catchee monkey, got mugshots of all the badasses among others, tomorrow is another day...'

Heh heh...

:o}
It seems that the DM takes its stories from this forum. :)

tinyurl.com/pd9jop3
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Duncan
>> It seems that the DM takes its stories from this forum. :)
>>
>> tinyurl.com/pd9jop3
>>

The bloke in the video clip wasn't Welsh - was he?

Why was he going on and on about 'civilians'? We all know that we have a civilian police service in this country!
>> The bloke in the video clip wasn't Welsh - was he?
>>
>> Why was he going on and on about 'civilians'? We all know that we have
>> a civilian police service in this country!

We discussed the thing a few weeks ago. IIRC he was trying to take issue with fact that person in a marked Police vehicle was not a warranted Constable.

Bee in um bonnet as Little Plum would have said.
>> Bee in um bonnet as Little Plum would have said.
>>

Quite right too!!
Perhaps more significantly, what was the Welshman trying to prove or achieve?

What useful purpose did it serve?
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 29 Jan 15 at 09:29
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Zero
>> Perhaps more significantly, what was the Welshman trying to prove or achieve?
>>
>> What useful purpose did it serve?

None, absolutely roger all.
>> None, absolutely roger all.

It's the new way of holding public servants to account. Use your i-phone to film them doing their jobs and post it on you tube.

Happens often enough now that there should be some briefing for those in public facing roles who are likely to be thus confronted. Had the odd one with a tape recorder but mercifully was out of regular face/face contact for last 12yrs of my career.
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Haywain
"It's the new way of holding public servants to account."

I guess most of us just shrug our shoulders and walk away when dealing with jobsworth, public servants who are always right. Others, alas, cannot contain their frustration.
>> I guess most of us just shrug our shoulders and walk away when dealing with
>> jobsworth, public servants who are always right. Others, alas, cannot contain their frustration.

Not denying the existence of Mr J Obsworth H but there are plenty members of public out there who want to browbeat public facing staff so as to get there own way.

Never met one while presiding at an election?
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Zero

>> Not denying the existence of Mr J Obsworth H but there are plenty members of
>> public out there who want to browbeat public facing staff so as to get there
>> own way.
>>
>> Never met one while presiding at an election?

Thats the candidate silly!
 Cameras and aerials on traffic lights - Haywain
"Never met one while presiding at an election?"

I confess that I have had it easy; I've been PO at a rural Suffolk polling station for about 10 years and it is pretty straightforward - in that time, I've got to know most of the voters. I'm happy to continue on that basis, but I wouldn't like to have to deal with, say, an inner city situation.

A friend, a council employee, did it for several years in a midlands city and he had lots of problems with people who didn't understand our voting system and wanted to argue the toss as to why they couldn't vote on behalf of their aged grandmother etc etc. When I asked him if council employees had to take a day's holiday to work at a polling station, he informed me that they received their normal pay in addition to their polling station fee. I wouldn't begrudge them that.

Personally, I've met more confrontational folks while surveying trees adjacent to power-lines for the local distribution network. People who won't give permission for their trees to be trimmed, yet will be the first to complain when the wind blows and their power goes down. Like the people who complain about delays to trains caused by leaves on the line, and then whinge when the trees are cut down at the side of the track. The public can be pathetically unreasonable.

My most recent meeting with council jobsworthyness was last year when I politely asked the council if they could trim their trees at the back of our house; they had grown so tall that they were blocking the satellite tv signal. I was curtly informed that 'I was not legally entitled to receive a tv signal - so tough'. It cut no ice when I said that that, if my tree blocked our my neighbour's tv signal, I would be considerate, and do something about it.
Latest Forum Posts