Motoring Discussion > New York Bans Cars. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 17

New York Bans Cars. - Zero
Yes, the city of New York is banning cars entering the city from 23:00EST ahead of a forecasted massive snow dump.

What does the panel think?

My view its a wise and sensible move, especially brave in the car obsessed states.
 New York Bans Cars. - Bromptonaut
>> Yes, the city of New York is banning cars entering the city from 23:00EST ahead
>> of a forecasted massive snow dump.
>>
>> What does the panel think?

Like you, I think it's a sensible precaution. This morning's flight from Birmingham to Newark NJ returned to BHX with a tech issue. While reports don't formally link it with weather that may well have been a factor in flight's subsequent cancellation.
 New York Bans Cars. - Armel Coussine
Everyone who can will put off going into town. Those who can't put it off, and think they can cope with a bit of snow, will feel seriously inconvenienced and scream the place down. Stand by for tea party farragoes sneering at the mayor and casting doubt on his sexuality.
 New York Bans Cars. - MD
Freezer full here. Logs in Barn too and I hear tell that there are Deer in the Woods, just under the Pheasant and Pigeon. Bring it on.......
 New York Bans Cars. - Cliff Pope
They must have more accurate and realistic weather forecasts over there than we do.

We'd be closing cities all over the place if we reacted to predicted snow "dumps" (whatever that means) by our Met Office.
>> They must have more accurate and realistic weather forecasts over there than we do.
>>
>> We'd be closing cities all over the place if we reacted to predicted snow "dumps"
>> (whatever that means) by our Met Office.

It means, strangely enough, a dump of snow.

And no they don't have better weather forecasting - its not as bad as feared and may have been an over reaction.
 New York Bans Cars. - Mike H
Despite supercomputers, weather forecasting still appears to be an art not a science.

Where we live, in the Salzkammergut area of Austria near Salzburg, the forecast for today, issued on Sunday, was for around half a metre of snow. Yesterday, the same forecast was saying, "nah, just a few flakes, perhaps sleet". Today, we've woken up to at least 30cm and the stuff is still coming down. Need to get out with the snowblower to clear the drive when I've finished my coffee......not planning to go anywhere but if it's not shifted it will just accumulate and be twice as difficult.
 New York Bans Cars. - Robin O'Reliant
Predicting the weather is like predicting the economy. Too many random elements to ever be accurate more than a few days ahead.
 New York Bans Cars. - Haywain
"Too many random elements to ever be accurate more than a few days ahead."

When I go out fishing on the North Sea with my mate, we use the BBC Coastal Forecast. This looks ahead for 24hrs only, breaking it down into 6hr periods. It's very useful indeed, though we fall slap-bang on the join between 'Wash to Harwich' and 'Thames Estuary'.

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/coastal/7#selected-location

New York Bans Cars. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> It means, strangely enough, a dump of snow.
>>

Ah, man-made then. It's where the authorities dump the snow bulldozed from the streets?
Not, as we would say, a heavy snowfall?

:)
 New York Bans Cars. - Dave_
>> snow "dumps"

Is that worse than yellow snow? :)
Last edited by: Dave_C220CDI on Tue 27 Jan 15 at 17:31

>> Ah, man-made then.

Does not follow.
 New York Bans Cars. - Bill Payer
>> They must have more accurate and realistic weather forecasts over there than we do.
>>
>> We'd be closing cities all over the place if we reacted to predicted snow "dumps"
>> (whatever that means) by our Met Office.
>>

In early 2010 (the first of the two bad winters we had) my wife rang me from work in a bit of a flap saying they'd heard snow was forecast to disrupt Chester. I looked on a weather radar site and could see a line of cloud moving up through Wales towards Chester but it was going at a good speed so I said it would be fine.

Problem was, when it got to Chester it stopped moving and dumped a few inches of snow which was enough to cause complete mayhem. I had to go and pick Mrs BP up as public transport stopped and I fell over pushing a Merc out of the way - my arm still hurts to this day. :(
 New York Bans Cars. - Ambo
It seems it not as bad as expected and there are calls for the Mayor of NY to apologise for scaremongering.
 New York Bans Cars. - R.P.
Good report on PM from Martha Carne (BBC's World at One presenter) who happens to be on holiday there....seems everything is moving. She was scared into stocking up on essentials, candles, water and chocolate and er...gin but no tonic.
 New York Bans Cars. - WillDeBeest
Good report on PM from Martha Carne...[sic; it's Kearney.]

Did she say it was chili?
 New York Bans Cars. - Old Navy
Is the mayor supposed to have an infallible crystal ball ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 27 Jan 15 at 17:36
 New York Bans Cars. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30996010

The map I saw showed New York on the edge of the storm.
New England seems to have more than a dusting.
Latest Forum Posts