Thread Author: Ateca chris Replies: 25

Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Ateca chris
tinyurl.com/q3tlhgu
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Bobby
My PC didn't like that link - froze my internet explorer
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Zero
it does that when your car is not taxed
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - movilogo
DVLA has been slated many times in various consumer watchdog shows.

They just don't change - typical quangos.

On other hand, I find taxing vehicles separately is outdated exercise. Few pence could be added to fuel duty and abolish road tax altogether.

Motorists caught out by new tax rules - henry k
>> On other hand, I find taxing vehicles separately is outdated exercise.
>> Few pence could be added to fuel duty and abolish road tax altogether.
>>
I would be delighted. It would save me a few hundred pounds a year.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - spamcan61
>> >> On other hand, I find taxing vehicles separately is outdated exercise.
>> >> Few pence could be added to fuel duty and abolish road tax altogether.
>> >>
>> I would be delighted. It would save me a few hundred pounds a year.
>>

..until those in power realise they're losing revenue, and they re-introduce 'car tax' in addition to the increased fuel duty - as happened in Eire IIRC.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - VxFan
>> Few pence could be added to fuel duty and abolish road tax altogether.

Why should I pay more for petrol for my lawn mower? It doesn't cause any conjestion. It doesn't add to the pot holes on the road either.
>> Why should I pay more for petrol for my lawn mower?

But it pollutes the air :-) You could also use electric mowers - so you have a choice here.

Any tax collection mechanism must be fair and easy to administer. Adding it via fuel will make lives simpler for most people.

Current policy of tax based on CO2 emission is without any logic. A high emitting but low mileage car pays more than low emitting but high mileage car, even though the later is using the road more often.

Also, you can then indirectly tax foreign cars :-)

Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Focusless
>> Current policy of tax based on CO2 emission is without any logic.

Could be argued that it's put pressure on manufacturers to reduce emissions?
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - VxFan
>> But it pollutes the air :-) You could also use electric mowers - so you have a choice here.

Generating electricity also polutes the air (solar and wind farms excepted)

Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Harleyman
>> >> But it pollutes the air :-) You could also use electric mowers - so
>> you have a choice here.
>>
>> Generating electricity also polutes the air (solar and wind farms excepted)
>>
>>
>>

Solar and windfarms included actually. AFAIK they don't grow the windmills or panels so you need to factor in the energy used to make them. Something the tree-huggers don't like cos it proves they're a gigantic con.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - CGNorwich
Caught out by tax changes? Can't people read. Enought information on the web site and elsewhere to make the situation crystal clear. Chancing their arm and whinging when they are caught more like it. Absolutely no sympathy.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 10:56
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - No FM2R
>>Chancing their arm and whinging when they are caught more like it.

I should think that's exactly correct.

""The changes have been widely publicised and we write to every vehicle keeper to remind them of the new rules before the vehicle tax expires. We also write to every new vehicle keeper when they buy a used vehicle to inform them that they must tax the vehicle before they use it.""
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Cliff Pope
The new rules about the non-transferability of tax have indeed been well-publicised and ought to be pretty obvious to everybody now.

But some of the other changes are a bit puzzling.
I haven't until this month had to renew a real dutiable car tax, only my exempt vehicles, so when I got the normal reminder I was expecting to find that tax was now on a continuous basis paid monthly by direct debit.
But it isn't. It still runs for a fixed 12-month period, you can still pay for it annually or for 6 months. The only difference is that now you can pay monthly by direct debit, but at a higher price (£241.50 instead of £230.00 in my case) If they want to encourage DD payments because they are more efficient then it ought to be cheaper, not more expensive?

Also I thought drivers would now get an automatic refund when the licence was cancelled or vehicle sold. But again, this is not true. As the reminder leaflet says, "Refunds will be paid to the registered keeper of the vehicle and not the mandate holder".
So if they don't know the keeper's bank details how will they make the refund?
If the registered keeper is Anthony Nother and the DD set up from "Mr & Mrs A N Other car account" do they just assume the A stands for Anthony and that he is the keeper?
The idea is many people will forget to claim back tax after selling their cars.

This is the income for DVLA.

So you do nothing, just change a policy and suddenly more money in your pocket.

Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 11:49
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Old Navy
Switching the income to fuel would be easy, save a fortune in salaries but the big brother attitude needs to know ownership. The scrotes don't bother, but all those ANPR and speed cameras would be useless without ownership information.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Ted

I've gone over to monthly DD for herself's car, it's in the £200 bracket. That way, I think, if we come to sell it, I can just cancel the DD on-line and SORN the car.

Why does my 582cc bike cost me about £50 to tax when a friend's Daihatsu Sirion cost sweet nuffinck ? Bikes aren't subject to any emission tests
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Old Navy
>> I've gone over to monthly DD for herself's car, it's in the £200 bracket. That
>> way, I think, if we come to sell it, I can just cancel the DD
>> on-line and SORN the car.

You send part nine of the cars V5 to DVLA same as before when you sell. Any over paid tax should be refunded, SORN would mean you would still be the owner.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Harleyman

>> Why does my 582cc bike cost me about £50 to tax when a friend's Daihatsu
>> Sirion cost sweet nuffinck ? Bikes aren't subject to any emission tests
>>

Better hope they never are, or you'll be paying a damn sight more than fifty quid.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Dave_
>> Why does my 582cc bike cost me about £50 to tax when a friend's Daihatsu
>> Sirion cost sweet nuffinck ?

Try a 3,528cc Morgan at £240 for a year, vs. £130 for the Merc.

I drive one 3,000 miles a year, the other at least ten times that. I'm glad the duty isn't added to fuel.

Very glad, given the Morgan's thirst ;-)
>> but the
>> big brother attitude needs to know ownership.
>>

There would still have to be a registration system, if only for identification for insurance and MOT purposes.
There would presumably be a "small" annual fee, which of course governments could then increase, so we'd gradually be back to square one but paying twice.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - zippy
They want to make criminals of us all!

If you buy a car the tax on it expires immediately.

You cannot instantly purchase new tax because the process takes time, so there are a few minutes when you are technically breaking the law.

I suppose you could agree to buy the car at the instant you press the OK button to make a payment to the DVLA?
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - Armel Coussine

>> They want to make criminals of us all!

All motorists are criminals by definition as I have said many times.

>>
>> All motorists are criminals by definition as I have said many times.
>>

And the criminalisation of motorists has also criminalised, and paradoxically de-criminalised, the whole population.
There used to be a clear distinction between right and wrong, criminal and innocent, and it was pretty hard for a decent reasonable person to stray accidentally over to the wrong-doing side of the line. Motoring law is almost impossible to avoid contravening.

But at the same time the distinction has been trivialised by redefining an increasing number of punishments as mere "penalties". Some penalties are not really punishments at all - you can buy extra parking time for example and then it becomes acceptably legal. But overstay by 10 minutes and you become a criminal.
Before long there will be no actual crimes at all - just penalties for contravening rules, which you can avoid merely by paying the official supplementary fees.

That is what motoring has done to us all.
>> If you buy a car the tax on it expires immediately.

That's the problem with the law!

Realistically, DVLA does not come to know about change of ownership until old keeper sends the V5C to them. So, it won't flag in their computer that car you just bought is untaxed (assuming previous keeper taxed it beyond your purchase date).

Still, the law should not be that complicated.

With paper tax disc (sufficiently tamper proof), you have something to show in case of any contradictory comments from authorities. But with new computer based system, motorists have nothing on their side. We all know that how reliable computer systems can be in quangos.
 Motorists caught out by new tax rules - CGNorwich
"With paper tax disc (sufficiently tamper proof), you have something to show in case of any contradictory comments from authorities.

Apart from the on line confirmation, which you can print-out, an email from the DVLA, and your bank account debit you of course have no evidence you have paid at at all
Latest Forum Posts