Motoring Discussion > Instant bans... Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 35

Instant bans... - Fursty Ferret
I swear that if they ever give me the reins of the country, it'll be an instant ban for anyone who drives along the M25 at 60 mph and still jabs the brakes on at EVERY SINGLE gantry that may, or may not, have a speed camera lurking on it.

How can you be so ignorant to your surroundings that you (a) don't notice the gantry until AFTER you go underneath it and (b) you don't realise that 60 mph will never set the camera off anyway?

Oh yes, and on the bit where there are cameras, it is not your job to smugly police the rest of us by doing indicated-speed-limit-minus-5. Just because your speedometer can't keep up doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer too.

I shall also extend the ban to:

* anyone who drives at 40mph on a NSL but who then maintains that speed through a 30 limit;
* people on phones;
* people who think it's OK to swerve around you while you're on a zebra crossing while waving said phone in vague apology (looking at you, minicab drivers);
* anyone who has more than one light failed on their car;
* fog-light-lovers;
* people who do "snap" lane changes 'cos they think they're good drivers;
* anyone who's modified their car to fit a louder exhaust;
* and people who can't reverse.

If you've got anything for the list, do post below and I'll add it to the new legislation. As you can imagine, it was a somewhat fraught trip home from work today in the rush-hour.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 15 Apr 15 at 10:08
 Instant bans... - Duncan
I hope you're not flying a plane in the next half hour or so.........

Just realised; you are on your way home. Phew!
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 15 Apr 15 at 08:39
 Instant bans... - WillDeBeest
Well now, let's see...

• Bare torso. Saw my first of the season last week, getting into a newish white Astra. Ugh!*

• Peering over a Great Barrier Reef of Suns, food wrappers, drink bottles, hi-vis jackets etc

• Allowing anyone to travel with feet up on the airbag housing.

• Signalling right at a roundabout and then not turning right.

• Approaching a roundabout in the left lane and then turning right.

• Replying to a harmless spleen-venting thread like this with platitudes about staying calm and not getting annoyed with other road users. Not that anyone here would offer such statements of the bleedin' obvious, of course.

*Bare torso wasn't too pretty either. }:---)
 Instant bans... - Pat
This applies to everyone.....

There is of course only one perfect driver on the road, and that is yourself.

Pat
 Instant bans... - No FM2R
>>This applies to everyone.....

Which one(s) of the items in the lists do you do Pat?
 Instant bans... - Pat
>> >>This applies to everyone.....
>>
>> Which one(s) of the items in the lists do you do Pat?
>>
>>

None of course, I AM the perfect driver, aren't you?

Pat

>> None of course, I AM the perfect driver, aren't you?

Nooo, certainly not. I don't do anything on the habitually stupid list, but I do make mistakes that affect other drivers. Probably a couple of times a week, I should think.
 Instant bans... - Armel Coussine
>> I do make mistakes that affect other drivers. Probably a couple of times a week, I should think.

Not as often as me then.

I have a particular distaste for drivers who don't wave in apology or acknowledgement when they've done something stupid or when someone has waited, backed off or otherwise made way for them. Frozen faces, noses in the air, brainless paranoid carphounds who need remedial driving lessons. There are far too many of them. I blame the driving test.

Instant bans... - Old Navy
>> I blame the driving test.
>>

No you just live in an ill mannered area. :-)
>> I blame the driving test.
>>

No, you just live in an ill mannered area. :-)
>> I hope you're not flying a plane in the next half hour or so.........
>>

No, just landed too fast, having swerved onto the approach at the last minute cutting up a Boeing, turned off the runway with screeching tyres, and tailgated to the gate. ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 15 Apr 15 at 10:18
 Instant bans... - Robin O'Reliant
It's always best to just stay calm and not get annoyed with other road users.
 Instant bans... - Zero

>> No, just landed too fast, having swerved onto the approach at the last minute cutting
>> up a Boeing, turned off the runway with screeching tyres, and tailgated to the gate.
>> ?
And you know what? He is so crap at reversing he needs a guide and a man in a tractor to push him about
Drivers who dawdle along at limit-minus-5-or-10 until someone tries to overtake, then accelerate to try to kill the overtaker. They often don't even know they're doing it. That makes it even worse.
They are probably the same ones that can't maintain a steady speed on a straight flat road and slow down on hills.
 Instant bans... - VxFan
Dabbers!

Those people whose foot is always hovering over the brake pedal, poised in readiness to press it whenever someone approaches them from the opposite direction, or for the slightest bend in the road.

All they can do is repeatably dab the brake pedal, but usually never shave off any speed. Meanwhile everyone else behind has slowed down because they think the muppet in front is trying to.
 Instant bans... - sooty123
>> Dabbers!
>>

I know them as comfort brakers.
>> And you know what? He is so crap at reversing he needs a guide and
>> a man in a tractor to push him about.
>>

I once saw a RAF transport plane do an unaided three point turn on a runway at RAF St Athan, impressive. I was in the control tower having earlier survived a couple of short flights in a glider (as a passenger), I think it was " let's frighten the matlot day". :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 15 Apr 15 at 12:46
 Instant bans... - Fursty Ferret
>> >> I hope you're not flying a plane in the next half hour or so.........
>> >>
>>
>> No, just landed too fast, having swerved onto the approach at the last minute cutting
>> up a Boeing, turned off the runway with screeching tyres, and tailgated to the gate.
>> ?
>>

Well, it is French...
>> Well, it is French...
>>

I hope there is training for duff electrics. :-)
>>anyone who drives at 40mph on a NSL but who then maintains that speed through a 30 limit;

That'd be the one that got my vote.
>> That'd be the one that got my vote

Because of the failure to slow to 20 to keep speed in proportion, two thirds of the limit and no more?

Speedometer 65 on NSL where possible, speedometer 35 through 30 where possible. By 'possible' I mean safe of course.
 Instant bans... - TheManWithNoName
Can i add to the list please?
1) People who sit in the middle lane at a smidge over 70mph but make no obvious attempt to get past the traffic in lane 1. Meanwhile I am actually uisng lane 1 but now get stuck behind slower moving traffic for 5 minutes whilst I wait for Mimser of the Year to eventually crawl past. Said Mimser then continues to use lane 2 despite passing slower traffic in lane 1 and having an empty lane to pull into.
2) People who swerve round the car in front turning left oblivious to the fact they're now on your side of the road with a look suggesting YOU are in the wrong lane.
3) Yoofs with blasting thumping sound systems driving with all windows down. How dare you assume the rest of us want to hear your wretched drum n bass. Mind you, do they now how stupid their music sounds when the car goes past and the Doppler effect is heard?
 Instant bans... - spamcan61
Those who treat every roundabout as a 'stop and give way' exercise, irrespective of the lack of traffic on the roundabout

Those who take the 'racing line' at a 2 lane roundabout when going straight on in the L/H lane, then look all indignant when you honk at them as they try and cut into the R/H lane you're occupying
 Instant bans... - VxFan
Anyone who slows down for cyclists when there is acres of room to go by them.
Anyone who doesn't use their indicators.
 Instant bans... - Crankcase
Anyone else.

There, I've said it.
 Instant bans... - martin aston
Van drivers who half fold their arms then lean them on top of their steering wheel. Seen it three times in last week, seems to be a new fashion........
....racing line at a 2-lane roundabout....

...accompanied by the converse of the stop-and-give-way approach - the I-can-see-my-exit-and-I'm-barrelling-through-regardless. Never mind the drivers emerging from your left, who might not have any view of you until you're almost on the roundabout.

The HC is unhelpfully loose on this: give way to traffic 'approaching from your right', but from how far out? It worked when it was traffic already on the roundabout, but as roundabouts have got smaller it's extended to the approaches too. But approaching so fast that you can't stop if the roundabout turns out not to be as clear as you first assumed is just wrong; you still have a give-way line to cross, and if someone else appears in the road beyond that line before you've crossed it, they're not taking your right of way.
 Instant bans... - Zero

>> 3) Yoofs with blasting thumping sound systems driving with all windows down. How dare you
>> assume the rest of us want to hear your wretched drum n bass.

Sorry, can't make me stop doing it tho, cos I am no hoof

>> Mind you,
>> do they now how stupid their music sounds when the car goes past and the
>> Doppler effect is heard?

Don't care - I am long down the road by the time you are revelling in my doppler effect.
 Instant bans... - swiss tony
>> 3) Yoofs with blasting thumping sound systems driving with all windows down. How dare you
>> assume the rest of us want to hear your wretched drum n bass. Mind you, do they now how stupid their music sounds...

Just removed the excess words....
 Instant bans... - CGNorwich
Foreign registered cars. i.e those with Suffolk plates.
 Instant bans... - Aretas
More bans -
Anyone who throws rubbish out of their vehicle
Tailgaters
And for pedestrians - anyone who pushes the button at a pedestrian crossing without first checking to see if they could cross without using the lights.
 Instant bans... - John Boy
Last summer, in a supermarket carpark I could hear a son having a loud telephone conversation with his father. When I located the source, the son turned out to be a middle-aged man sitting in an open-topped BMW. I couldn't see the the exact kit in use, but, boy, was it loud! He could have competed with the store's tannoy. He'd be my candidate for an instant ban. Vehicle confiscation too, I think.
Oh dear, CGN - my LEC grew up in Bury St Edmunds. I did wonder about putting an RO58 plate on it but never bothered. So many out-of-area plates make a bit of a nonsense of our 'regional' registration system.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 15 Apr 15 at 22:11
 Instant bans... - madf
Ban instantly those intolerant enuf to want instant bans.. :-)
 Instant bans... - Dog
Howls about we ban anyone from driving diesel-engine cars.

Just saying.

:}
Latest Forum Posts