Motoring Discussion > It pays to reverse park and drive out! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 70

It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Falkirk Bairn
Local carpark, 50% empty post the local Tesco closure.

2 cars parked on opposite sides of the road in - both reverse, @ crawling pace, out at the same time - rear wing of Astra flattens 2 side doors of a Meriva.

Both drivers were looking at car mirrors but not out of the rear windows. Nobody hurt but the NCB of both drivers will be affected, excesses to pay

It pays to reverse park and drive out!
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - WillDeBeest
Astras are lovely. Merivas are lovely. How could they?

I have to go and lie down now.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - spamcan61
>> Astras are lovely. Merivas are lovely. How could they?
>>
SWMBO has swapped her Zafira (which was probably the easiest car to drive ever) for a Meriva and it's a horrible thing that's short on good engineering and big on gimmicks, I hate it.

Mismatch between engine torque and gearbox ratios, you wind it up to 3000 rpm in 3rd, change up and it drops to 2000 rpm in fourth, just about to fall off the bottom end of the narrow 'power' band. Plus there's a 'change up' nag which seems to be designed to labour the engine.

Stupid gimmicky suicide doors that make getting out trickier, unless you've got room to fling the door right open. This is easy to do accidentally as there's no check links on the doors.

Electric handbrake. solution in search of a problem.

Stupid speedo that goes up to 140 mph, so the usable range of 0-80 is hardly a quarter of the dial.

If you want plenty of storage space then it's £££s extra for the extra storage bins that are only standard on the top model.

Stupid gimmicky rear seat arrangement means you can't shift the whole bench forwards.

aaaagh I feel better now. :-)
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Duncan
>> Local carpark, 50% empty post the local Tesco closure.
>>
>> 2 cars parked on opposite sides of the road in - both reverse, @ crawling
>> pace, out at the same time - rear wing of Astra flattens 2 side doors
>> of a Meriva.
>>
>> Both drivers were looking at car mirrors but not out of the rear windows. Nobody
>> hurt but the NCB of both drivers will be affected, excesses to pay
>>
>> It pays to reverse park and drive out!
>>

No, I drive in so that I can load up the boot easily.

It's up to other people to reverse in so that we don't collide when I leave!
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - spamcan61
>>
>>
>> No, I drive in so that I can load up the boot easily.
>>
Boot at the front was a very useful feature of SWMBO's Skoda Estelle.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - R.P.
What Duncan says.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - hjd

>> >> It pays to reverse park and drive out!
>> >>
>>
>> No, I drive in so that I can load up the boot easily.
>>
>> It's up to other people to reverse in so that we don't collide when I
>> leave!
>>
If you pick your spot, you can reverse into a spot where there is a path/walkway behind, so you can bring the trolley along there, load the shopping and then drive out...
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Zero

>> If you pick your spot, you can reverse into a spot where there is a
>> path/walkway behind,
If you pick the right spot, you can drive into a space, over the path, and into the spot on the other side where you can pull the trolley up and load, and then leave it behind so someone reverses into it.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - legacylad
Boxster. Boot in front. Problem solved. Enough space for a few curries, beer & wine. Weekly shop.... I don't think so.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - henry k
Or keep your options open
Then buy a Tesla and have a decent boot at both ends.
Or as they say in the USA, a Trunk AND a Frunk.
Or even two extra seats in the rear boot and still a front boot.

tinyurl.com/kc7uek7
( was 674 characters long )
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - VxFan
It's the ones that reverse park that worry me. They then have to push the shopping trolley between their car and whoever's car is parked next to them to access their boot. Chances are to avoid scratching or denting their own car in the process they'll end up scratching or denting the other car instead.
...park...trolley...

Haven't you people heard of deliveries? What century is this?
>> Haven't you people heard of deliveries?

I'd sooner rummage through the fruit and veg myself and pick out the best rather than let some nose picking oik do it for me and deliver some mouldy old rubbish.
Afraid your baked beans might arrive in dented tins?

Is there anything you've not tried that you're prepared not to rubbish?
>> Is there anything you've not tried that you're prepared not to rubbish?

Yes, but it would take an adult to understand it. One day when you've stopped being a child I might tell you.
Can't wait. Holding my breath for the epic that will be VF Ventures Out of his Comfort Zone.

Meanwhile,
...some nose picking oik...
at least you've found someone to look down on. Nice.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Pat
Yawn......bored now.

Pat
>> Yawn......bored now.

Couldn't agree more Pat. I'll try ignoring the childish troll in future. No promises though ;)
Better add me to the list of subjects on which you cover up fear and ignorance with clueless bluster, then.

I suppose I should be impressed by your commitment to your five a day. You'll risk your lovely Astra in the Asda car park because you're afraid you might get some mouldy broccoli? (You won't, of course; at least we've had very few problems in nine years of Tesco deliveries, and their customer service has always been exemplary.)

But you go right ahead telling us how it is from within your little world, and spitting abuse at anyone who suggests that you might not have all the facts. Just don't belittle people just because they do a job you consider beneath you; that's despicable.
>> mouldy broccoli

Can't stand the stuff, so there's no chance I'll end end up eating it, mouldy or otherwise.

>> Just don't belittle people

Pot - kettle.

Nuff said.
And point missed. Again. Never mind.
>> And point missed

Oh, there was a point to your drivel and sarcasm was there? That makes a change.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - No FM2R
>>I'll try ignoring....

How's that working out?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 12 May 15 at 11:45
>> How's that working out?

Not very well is it. Still, it saves me going to Tesco to get some more carrots.
Would you "moderate" the childish squabble and cause it to stop if you weren't one of the people perpetuating it?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 12 May 15 at 12:04
Sorry dad.
}:---)
OFFS! Who scowlied that? VF's little joke made me smile, so I indicated as much. Whoever you are, are you actually reading this, or just going down the screen ticking him and scowlying me?
>>or just going down the screen ticking him and scowlying me?

Of course someone is. Its what they do.

But by doing so they devalue the whole thing, if it had any value in the first place. So it will eventually resolve itself.
Much as I think Mark made certain a huge amount of his sarcasm rubbed of on you while you were in Chile, it wasn't me!

....and yes, it does you no favours W de B, since you didn't ask my opinion:)

Pat
You need to stop obsessing about me Pat, its all getting a bit Freudian.
Nah, you've got a bob on yerself Mark if you think it's Freudian....it's a lot simpler than that :)

Pat
Well, whatever your reason, I think your obsession is unhealthy for you.

Still, your life to waste, as you obviously know.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 12 May 15 at 17:17
Don't kid yourself Mark, this is nothing to do with 'unhealthy', it's to do with living in the real world myself and a lot of other people live in and learning to 'read' people!

Pat
Well, I do seem to form quite a substantial part of your life; protest as much as you wish, you just can't seem to stop talking about me.

Bless.
Pat, whatever your repressed feelings for NoFM, you're hugely miscalculating both the nature of our meeting in Santiago and any effect it had on me. You have only to read old threads here to see that if I disagree with someone I've always been able to do so in my own words, and my thoroughly entertaining, discursive and good-humoured afternoon with NoFM did nothing whatever to change that. I did, however, come home with a foot-long wire centipede and a new-found enthusiasm for ceviche, neither of which I'd have got without him.

Or, in other words, leave NoFM out of it.
Well, written by you and written about me, you were guaranteed a frownie face whatever you said.

I rather take it as a badge of honour, you know you got through. And you got through to someone who lacks the words or the courage so resorts to a frownie.

>> Or, in other words, leave NoFM out of it.

I think Mark is big enough, old enough, ugly enough and certainly bald enough, to look after himself.
Oh well, if it makes you happy Mark, who am I to spoil your dream!

Pat
Pat, it doesn't make me happy, nobody wants to be stalked by an obsessive personality.

You need to try to get over me and move on. Try not to let your life be affected by someone you've never met. Perhaps you could find a new hobby, that might help.
:) :) 10 out of 10 for effort Mark, but we can all see your tactics!

Pat
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Cliff Pope

>> >>
>> If you pick your spot, you can reverse into a spot where there is a
>> path/walkway behind, so you can bring the trolley along there, load the shopping and then
>> drive out...
>>

If you pick your spot you can reverse a Volvo estate up to a path so that the back overhangs the path and other users crack their heads on the open tailgate.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Runfer D'Hills
Tow bars are good for catching their shins too.
>> Tow bars are good for catching their shins too.

DO NOT get the trolley caught on your tow bar as you leave.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Ted

Mostly go in front first. The back door of the Vitara adds about four feet to the overall length when open.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Dave_
Even parking legally isn't enough now:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-32686498
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - legacylad
Sitting in a supermarket trolley, fixed to a tow bar, and being hauled along at 30mph, sounds like just the sort of thing the Jackass nutters would do
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Alastairw
Guy that used to present tax lectures used to tell a story sort of about this. Basically he lived somewhere with a long drive, and each week was required to take his various wheeled bins to the end for collection. Being of lazy disposition, he hitched said bins in convoy to his Discovery and took them to the appointed place before heading off to his office. Of course one day he was distracted while leaving home, and arrived at his office with the bins still in tow.

Nb. Was in reply to Zeros post about hitching trolleys to tow bars, in case you think I've gone off mine.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Mon 11 May 15 at 23:13
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - hjd
>> Guy that used to present tax lectures used to tell a story sort of about
>> this. Basically he lived somewhere with a long drive, and each week was required to
>> take his various wheeled bins to the end for collection. Being of lazy disposition, he
>> hitched said bins in convoy to his Discovery and took them to the appointed place
>> before heading off to his office. Of course one day he was distracted while leaving
>> home, and arrived at his office with the bins still in tow.
>>
>> Nb. Was in reply to Zeros post about hitching trolleys to tow bars, in case
>> you think I've gone off mine.
>>
That wasn't Tim Good, was it? Sounds very like one of his stories!
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Alastairw
It certainly was HJD. I miss afternoon CPD courses in nice hotels with coffee and pastries. Do everything on line now :(
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Old Navy
I saw an original MINI that had rear ended a towbar fitted Volvo, the towbar punched an impressive hole in the MINIs engine block.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Dog
Reminds me of when an Austin Allagro reversed into the front of my P6. The Austin was a was a bit of a mess but my Rover was hardly touched, thanks to its proper bumpers and large overriders.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Ted

Many years ago a coke bottle Viva rear ended the Javelin at traffic lights. The front fell off the Viva...helped by my tow ball. I didn't charge her for the cracked tow ball cover as she was a school mum friend of SWM's.

She complained briefly that I'd stopped too quickly...........well, that's 9 inch drums for you !
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - commerdriver
From what I remember the "coke bottle" Vivas wre from the era when Vauxhalls were made of metal rejected by Heinz as too flimsy for baked bean cans.
The HC models that followed them were more solid but heavier to drive, I practised in one while learning.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Dutchie
It does pay to reverse park.Had a few near misses when I didn't reverse park in the drive way.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - madf
I never reverse park.. Sainsbury's reserve a space for me.. It's called "visiting dignitaries"...

:-)
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Dog
>> It's called "visiting dignitaries"...

Ever considered visiting Dignitas, mad f.

Just asking.

:}
>> It does pay to reverse park.Had a few near misses when I didn't reverse park
>> in the drive way.
>>

It surely depends on the width of the road and the amount of traffic when you want to pull in.

Driving in forwards you just indicate, pull out a bit if necessary for alignment, and drive in, with hardly any traffic distruption.
But if there is traffic then you have to stop, possibly in the middle of the road or even on the wrong side, and then persuade the car that has stopped behind you to go back so that you can reverse.

Coming out, you can pick a gap in the traffic. Turning in, you have no choice.
If the road is so busy that it's difficult to stop and manoeuvre in, how is it going to be easier to pick your gap in the traffic when you're facing the wrong way?

My final approach to work is along a busy suburban street that's part shops and part residential. A couple of days a week I'll be balked by someone who's got tired of waiting for a gap, or can't see enough to spot one, just reversing out into the traffic.

I think it's like leaving the washing up to the morning after; seems easier at the time but leaves a bigger problem to solve later.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - andyfr
>> I think it's like leaving the washing up to the morning after; seems easier at
>> the time but leaves a bigger problem to solve later.
>>

No, just switch on the dishwasher. :)
You resurface after two months to contribute that?
}:---)
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - andyfr
Hey, why not? Got a bit bored at work!
>> If the road is so busy that it's difficult to stop and manoeuvre in, how
>> is it going to be easier to pick your gap in the traffic when you're
>> facing the wrong way?
>>

Because as long as there are some gaps, you have the chance to pick one when emerging, but not if you are part of the traffic flow when returning.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Alanovich

>> Because as long as there are some gaps, you have the chance to pick one
>> when emerging, but not if you are part of the traffic flow when returning.
>>
>>

Balls Cliff, you should wait patiently for the opportunity to present itself and reverse IN. However long it takes. Don't like it? Don't live on a main road. Seems too many people are too lazy to bother and deal with the problem later, when it's far, far more dangerous.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 May 15 at 16:27

>>
>> Balls Cliff, you should wait patiently for the opportunity to present itself and reverse IN.
>> However long it takes.

Yes, I agree if the road is wide enough for you to pull up and stop beyond the entrance and wait for a gap as the traffic passes. that's obvious. But if not, and stopping means holding up all the traffic, then you have to try to force it to shuffle backwards.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Armel Coussine
>> But if not, and stopping means holding up all the traffic, then you have to try to force it to shuffle backwards.

None of you sods can drive. It's depressing.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Manatee
Put the headlights and hazard flashers on, drive up the middle of the road and swing the front away from the drive, blocking the road. Reverse in at your leisure. A friendly wave to the waiting traffic as you disappear past the gatepost.

Works for me.
The important thing is to pick your moment properly and do the manoeuvre fast. You have to be tidy too, and have eyes all round your head like a Martian. rv mirrors and caution...

A month in London as a professional driver of some sort will train you well, if you have any talent for driving. A lot of people haven't but most aren't dangerous. You learn to spot the dangerous ones, fast mimsers and so on, the ones who need special treatment and gritted teeth.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 15 May 15 at 01:16
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Alanovich
>> A couple of days a week I'll be balked by someone who's got
>> tired of waiting for a gap, or can't see enough to spot one, just reversing
>> out into the traffic.

I know I've said it before but this is how my father was killed, by a driveway reverser-outerer. Sadly people never seem to understand until something goes horribly wrong. Saw one reversing out on to the Woodcote Rd yesterday, you probably know the place. Between Darell Rd and Highmoor Rd, two treacherous bends either side of the driveway, walls and hedges obscuring their view, no pavement to speak of. Always busy with traffic, HGVs, cyclists, all sorts. Usually nose to tail at that point with vehicles bunching together after St Peters Hill, due to a slow black cab or a juggernaut or such like. Makes me want to stop, get out and thump them, but of course that would only pour petrol on the spark.
 It pays to reverse park and drive out! - Focusless
>> It pays to reverse park and drive out!

www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/secret-world-tinder-documentary-explores-5698502

... the woman who gets turned on by men when they are REVERSING a car.

Explaining one of his dates, Chris said: "This girl was aroused by the act of a man reversing a car.

"I said, 'Are you OK?' And she said, 'I don't know how to tell you this but I really get excited when a bloke puts his arm around the headrest and reverses.'

"Then she started saying, 'Reverse for me, reverse for me, Chris, reverse.' I was going round the block like a nutter."

:o
>> www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/secret-world-tinder-documentary-explores-5698502

Oh good God. Fat perverse tarts of all sexes. Not for me at all at all...
Latest Forum Posts