Motoring Discussion > Car insurance for unusual places? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 10

Car insurance for unusual places? - sherlock47
My brother is about o go for an extended motoring holiday in Europe. He has told me that his current insurers (and underwriters) will not offer cover for Albania and Montenegro. He has tried several companies but with no sucess.

Any suggestions of more pragmatic companies?
 Car insurance for unusual places? - Bromptonaut
A quick gander at foreign travel forums suggests this is a long standing issue. May be possible to buy insurance at the border, albeit at eye watering prices and only for local equivalent of 'Road Traffic Act' cover.

Continuous cover from Calais to the Adriatic is another thing we risk when exiting the EU.
 Car insurance for unusual places? - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> Continuous cover from Calais to the Adriatic is another thing we risk when exiting the
>> EU.
>>

Was it an issue before we joined the EU?
 Car insurance for unusual places? - Bromptonaut
>> Was it an issue before we joined the EU?
>

I recall my Dad having a wodge of paperwork to take the car to France and beyond etc in the mid seventies. Green Card to extend UK cover, even to min legal level, and extra stuff like a bail bond being needed for Spain.
 Car insurance for unusual places? - Alanovich
Having close links with the area and owning property in Montenegro and Serbia, I can confirm that buying insurance on the border is likely the only option. I have investigated the matter many times and never come up with an alternative.

Happily for me Serbia isn't a problem now but Montenegro remains so, so far as I'm aware. The rates charged at the border vary in my experience depending on the venality of the individual on duty that day, and will only give 3rd party cover. It may take many hours of queuing to obtain the certificate of insurance.

If all that is still the case, I strongly recommend not taking any car there which you can not afford to lose. Years back I bought a shagged out FIAT Ulysse for this exact reason. I didn't want to take my brand new Touran there. I did do that once, but paid for a secure compound to park it in whilst there and only drove it to and from my destination, once there it was parked, locked up and not moved for a week.

I'd leave the car somewhere secure within the EU, I expect he's planning to drive through Croatia to the MNE border. Leave it in Croatia somewhere safe and rent something with proper local insurance. I have rented in Croatia before for use in MNE, although the car was vandalised due to its Croat plates, Serb nationalist emblems were carved on the bonnet. Fully comp Insurance covered it. My own car on border insurance would not have been covered.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 19 Aug 15 at 19:46
Sherlock - what did your brother decide to do? I'd be really interested to find out how his trip pans out.
 Car insurance for unusual places? - Mapmaker
Can you hire a car in Croatia that includes cover?
Yes indeed, I've done that before and told the tale above.
He is away at the moment (before planned trip in October) i will try to remeber to let you know.
Cheers. Good time to travel there. The weather's OK and the tourists are (mostly) gone. In July and August it's often utter gridlock on the limited roads they have.

I recommend a white water raft trip down the Tara canyon if he's venturing to inland Montenegro. Spectacular. Boka Kotorska is the must see sight on the coast.
update

"Finally got sorted this week through A Plan Another broker subsequently suggested them and they got me cover through someone as traditional as Royal Sun Alliance so I do not understand why it is so difficult elsewhere"

A -Plan broker fee £25 They must have spent at least 3 hours on it so they are not making a fortune

Also worth noting that AA foreign breakdown cover was cheaper (for Group 3 coutries) for an Annual Policy rather than 8weeks!

www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/european-countries-covered.jsp

Latest Forum Posts