Motoring Discussion > Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 15

Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Stuartli
Just released, the most dangerous roads in the UK. Can you name any that might prove even more so?

tinyurl.com/nuonolw
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 15 Sep 15 at 01:06
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - ....
Derry Street, London W8 5TT
Leads to the front door of the Daily Mail.
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Old Navy
The Road Safety Foundation have obviously never heard of the A9.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26389280
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 15 Sep 15 at 08:14
>Derry Street, London W8 5TT
Leads to the front door of the Daily Mail.>>

Would be slightly funny except that you need to list all the roads or streets on which the main offices of the UK's leading newspapers are based, as all carried the story.
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Alanovich
Why did we have to have a Mail link then? If you're going to link to the world's largest professional trolling organisation, can you annotate your post accordingly please so that those of us of sane mind do not inadvertently increase their click count and thereby earn them money?

Cheers.

Anyway, I clicked, saw it was the Wail, and backed out. Is the A4074 on the list out of interest? 163 casualties in the last 3 years, says a sign round the corner from my gaff.
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Focusless
>> Why did we have to have a Mail link then?

Source:
www.roadsafetyfoundation.org/news/2015/9/15/how-much-do-road-crashes-cost-where-you-live.aspx

>> Is the A4074 on the list out of interest?

It isn't, but here's a 'risk map' for the South East (other links in main report above), which appears to rate the 4074 as 'medium risk':
www.roadsafetyfoundation.org/media/32795/rrm_britain_2015_-_south_east_region.pdf
>>Why did we have to have a Mail link then?>>

I didn't realise anyone could be so sensitive as to the source of a story. Why or how am I supposed to know you would not be pleased? I'm also of perfectly sane mind, thank you.

It was a Mail link because that's where I first read the story via its Breaking News feed on the Online website.
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Old Navy
>> Why did we have to have a Mail link then? If you're going to link
>> to the world's largest professional trolling organisation, ........
>>

I suggest you get the mods to ban links that upset you or provide us with a comprehensive list of links you don't want us to use, so that we can use it to wind you up. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 16 Sep 15 at 08:37
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - ....
>> Would be slightly funny except that you need to list all the roads or streets
>> on which the main offices of the UK's leading newspapers are based, as all carried
>> the story.
>>
I don't get it...why do I need to list them all ? They're not all the Daily Mail.
You wouldn't need to list them all per se. The point is that it was not just in the Mail...:-)
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Dog
www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/1731122/cornwalls-most-dangerous-roads-revealed/
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - TheManWithNoName
So roads are dangerous?
Who knew? I always thought it was the soft fleshy thing being the wheel or in the saddle.
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Manatee
We could be waiting a long time for the day that any newspaper (or the Road Safety Foundation, judging by the quotes) writes sensibly about anything statistical.

Taking the 17 serous accidents on the A18 stretch 2011-2013 (and comparing it with the total journeys on that stretch of the A18 estimated from traffic counts (about 4100 journeys per day) suggests a 0.0004% chance of a serious accident per journey, or 1 in about 250,000.

I am not going to worry about whether my chance of being KSI is 1 in 250,000 or 1 in 4,000,000. Clearly that is about the range, and some roads will be nearer one end of the scale than the other.

A better headline would be "Statistics Show British Roads Not At All Deadly".

That would sell a few papers.

Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Manatee
The only one of those stretches I know well is the last one. It involves 4 towns and a lot of urban environment with short stretches of faster road, being amidst the West Yorkshire conurbation.

It's ridiculous to compare roads like that with a stretch of motorway. It makes about as much sense as saying flying is only dangerous when you are near the ground.
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - Focusless
>> A better headline would be "Statistics Show British Roads Not At All Deadly".

More useful stats:
www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
 Perhaps you know an even more dangerous road? - madf
"While overall the number of deaths and serious crashes on roads in Britain has fallen the number of accidents on A537 between Buxton and Macclesfield has become more dangerous.

There were 44 serious or fatal crashes on the seven-mile (12km) stretch of road between 2007 and 2011. Between 2002 and 2006, there were 35. The report highlights that a number of the most dangerous roads are around the Peak District"

Warning! link to the Indpendent..for those of great sensitivity and few brains..:-)

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-10-deadliest-roads-revealed-8901269.html
Latest Forum Posts