Motoring Discussion > Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 10

Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - Crankcase
At old mum's yesterday sorting her post. She's not had a car for a few years now and hasn't driven of course.

Letter from DVLA with a licence renewal form. Obviously we won't be doing that.

I was just going to ditch it but then noticed the paragraph saying "if you don't want to renew you must return your existing licence with a covering letter and not use this form".

Licence probably thrown away years back wold be my guess. I doubt she has a clue any more what a licence is, never mind whether she filed it anywhere, and a quick whizz through the obvious places didn't turn it up.

Anyone been down this route or similar? Do we think it's a case of "ignore the issue" or should we tell DVLA it's lost, which might just mean some sort of "replacing it in order to be able to cancel it" merry go round?
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - Zero
>> Anyone been down this route or similar? Do we think it's a case of "ignore
>> the issue" or should we tell DVLA it's lost, which might just mean some sort
>> of "replacing it in order to be able to cancel it" merry go round?

Ignore. Nothing more will happen.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 20 Sep 15 at 08:42
Thanks Zero, I'll probably do that.

I was inclined to the ignore plan, but just thought I'd try and unearth any horror stories here just in case.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 20 Sep 15 at 09:12
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - WillDeBeest
I'd ignore too. My mother's in a similar situation and I've no idea where her licence is. The DVLA must be used to this; for every unused licence punctiliously returned there must be fifty they just never hear from again.
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - sooty123
Best left ignored, could end up with mountains of bureaucracy if you reply.
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - Bromptonaut
My Mother gave up driving about 5 years ago, largely because her nerve went. Even if she wanted to start again she's no longer physically capable, struggles that get in as a passenger. Never thought until now whether she's actually surrendered her licence. There must though be thousands of drivers who give up every year. If DVLA thought a real purge was needed for database cleansing, compliance or preventing personation then I guess they'd put more effort into chasing non renewers.

If I were in OP shoes I'd probably write to DVLA explaining Mum's circumstances and health,, referring to any Power o Attorney held. Seriously doubt DVLA would do more than thank and note. What would they gain by holding a beauractic inquest other than bad publicity?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 20 Sep 15 at 11:28
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - Rick O'Shea
My mother has just stopped driving age 93, starting with a tractor in the mid 1930's ( I don't believe she ever took a driving test) as far as I know she only had 2 minor accidents during nearly 80 years of regular driving!

She has had a renewal letter and we have just binned it assuming they will automatically revoke licence
Thanks all. I'm going to go with the majority vote (sorry Bromp).

I'll let you know if my forwarding address in a month or two starts with HMP.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 20 Sep 15 at 12:16
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - Dog
Probably the scrubs or the ville in your case Cc.
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - Slidingpillar
What would they gain by holding a beauractic inquest other than bad publicity?

Not sure that has ever bothered them before. If there's a cheap to get 'fine' in the offing, then they are like wasps round a jam pot.
 Head in sand or stir the DVLA bear? - sooty123
What would they gain by holding a beauractic inquest other than bad
>> publicity?

Nothing, but still could happen.
Latest Forum Posts