Motoring Discussion > BMW - 330 - Passenger only !
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 25

BMW - 330 - Passenger only ! - R.P.
FIL turned up in his BMW 330 yesterday having just picked it up from the dealer..had a brief trip in it....yes I can confirm the 6 cylinder engine sounds proper...!
 BMW - 330 - Passenger only ! - legacylad
Which reminds me, I'd better check to see if mine is still in the garage. I've been too busy catching up with jet lag, drinking proper beer & eating bacon sarnies to see if it's still there!
Gish finger sarnies are the future. Balsamic vinegar and salad cream !
I assume it's a diesel because there is no 330 petrol. Didn't the 4 cyl 328 replace the 6 cyl 330 petrol , similar performance, better mpg, poorer sound? The 335 petrol survives, albeit no where near as reliable as the older 330 according to both my friend who has owned 3 of them and my trusted BMW mechanic friend.
 BMW - 330 - Passenger only ! - MD
I'm fairly sure that there is a 330 petrol available. It's a larger version of the 320 producing 248 bhp for a 0-60 of 5.9 seconds. Is that a 4 or 6 pot though? 4 I'm guessing?
Quite right MD. it appears that the 4 cyl 328 has been replaced by the new 4 cyl 330. The 6 cyl 335 by a cleaner 6 cyl 340.
All I know is that my 'old' 330 petrol doesn't have any turbos or inter coolers or whatever to go wrong. It just keeps on going. Quite rapidly should conditions or my mood allow. And 30/32mpg around my part of the world. The insurance expired whilst I was away in distant parts so better ring them soonest so I can drive again!
I must confess to have been looking at 10 year old 330 saloons. Delving fairly deeply I suggest they are a well kept secret. 6k buys a stunner with about 70k up and as you say can be quite frugal too. The performance figures are very impressive for a naturally aspirated engine. Truth is I want one, but justifying it is another matter.
Truth is, I would swap my 330 convertible for a similar aged estate in a flash. Elderly relatives, as I've mentioned before. My old Mum was having seriously good treatment from the NHS whilst I was away. She's now home after spending time in an ICU but no way will she ever get into the back again. And the 97yo aunt is still going strong. Something's gotta give....if you find an immaculate FSH estate please let me know!
My mistake....It sounded like a six pot...looks as if it's a fourpot...! Well I did offer my 2008 6 pot 3.0 petrol for sale here...
Yes you did, but it was Spanish!
 BMW - 330 - Passenger only ! - Pezzer
I have been looking for a '10 plate ish 330i Coupe. Trouble is I want a manual which seem to be rare although have seen several in Scotland, which isn't really practical as I live on the South Coast. May have to replace my 325i like for like but I want the 330..............
Well I have finally found a 12 plate 330i manual SE Coupe, my old 325i is going p/x. Will pick it up on Saturday - cant wait !
Welcome to the club.
How many cylinders did the 325 have?
It was a proper BMW !
Sorry, no offence meant!
Any details of this 330 coupe? I know your's is going to be considerably newer than my '04 330 Ci, but do tell....how much was the sticker price? I know someone who has recently changed his M3 coupe for an M3 saloon. Sounds wonderful with that 4.0 V8.
None taken (well maybe a little bit :-) ). Burgundy SE with cream leather sports seats 50k miles. Most importantly a manual gearbox also Bluetooth, Heated seats/wheel. Managed to speak to the previous owner who says it is all good. He wanted to keep it but SWMBO had designs on something else. So no cheating you tell me how much.
If not a main dealer, windscreen price around £14k/£14.5k ? At this time of year you could expect some off this price... Demands on p/ex and if you are prepared to walk away. I honestly have no idea what the second hand market is like at the moment for these sort of cars. The tax alone could put some people off, I pay £290, which equates to around two pints a week in my local so need big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Yup good shout I nudged it under to 13750. Although the M Sport is probably more desirable these dont tend to hang around long. I have been looking since the summer and this one feels right plus manuals are quite rare and it also has the sports seats which I prefer. My 325i is on 19inch rims whereas this is on 17s so it is definitely softer I am interested to see whether I notice any difference in grip levels as they are also narrower too.
 BMW - 330 - Passenger only ! - Alanovich
Congrats on the new car, Pezzer. Sounds a beaut. Hope you enjoy it.
 BMW - 330 - Passenger only ! - Westpig
>> Congrats on the new car, Pezzer. Sounds a beaut. Hope you enjoy it.
>>
+1
My 330 is also a manual box, which is what I wanted. Silver with grey leather, and a modern looking ' aluminium cube' trim. Dark blue hood, which is still immaculate after twice yearly treatments with Renovo products.
Personally I dislike coal black interiors. Do/ have you run yours on normal supermarket unleaded? I use Shell V Power for perhaps one full tank in three. Otherwise normal Shell unleaded. I don't really know why, but the straight six doesn't complain.
It's a lot of car for the money... Hope you enjoy it half as much as I do mine, which incidentally runs on 18'' rims, with an unused space saver spare, and I find the ride to be more than acceptable. Even for an old bloke.
Thanks all.

LL, I just put the standard Esso stuff in or occasionally Tesco's. Did try a couple of Tanks of Shell super duper stuff but it didnt seem to make much difference.

Yes I am delighted as it is a newer car than I was expecting and should hopefully do me for a few years. Its really more of the same but a just a bit better;more toys and more oomph as the 2,5 can be a bit peaky although will still fly if you get the gear/rev combination correct.
The 17 inch wheels are slightly weedy and I may well treat myself to some 18 inch rims when the tyres need changing. I suspect this is the best combination as the 19s on my current car whilst giving incredible grip do seem to chatter more than I like. I will retain the spacesaver I bought off ebay when I changed the runflats on the 325i.
Picked it up today and I am grinning like a cheshire cat ! 100 mile drive home up the M4 and A34 and it is like the old car but just better, although perhaps not as planted but it was blustery today. The additional grunt is just wonderful and the sports seats just seem to mould around me.
A nice little surprise was that I found a cd changer in the boot although not sure how much use it will get with bluetooth and a USB port.

Fingers crossed it will be reliable.

BMW - 330 - Passenger only ! - WillDeBeest
Sounds great, Pezzer. The sports seats are worth holding out for - worth putting up with the Terry Tryhard M Sport tyres and suspension for. You've managed to get the best of both worlds!

Mine has a plastic platform in the boot marked 'CD Changer'. That's fine; I have the iPod interface (and the HK package) too.

Have fun!
Sounds lovely - Mine has piled on the mileage and continues to please. Sports Seats and the crumb catcher extension is just great. Can't think of anything negative about it at the moment
Update: well it turns out I couldn't live with the SE suspension it was simply dreadful (clearly my previous SE had been sorted before I bought it) slushy/wallowy and if I am honest a bit dangerous with adverse cambers and tightening corners.
So I treated myself to a Bilstein/Eibach shocks and springs suspension kit and had it fitted on Tuesday. I cannot believe the difference it has made, its still early days but it certainly seems to have resolved most of my issues.
Other than that the car has been very reliable and a pleasure to own.
Latest Forum Posts