Motoring Discussion > SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 13

SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - VxFan
I don't see many adverts (usually record stuff and watch later), but by chance caught this one tonight. Made me laugh anyway.

youtu.be/n9tSN0178Us
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - Falkirk Bairn
Good adverts were always memorable - Guinness, VW were stars in the past.

Specsavers are not in the same league BUT their sponsorship of Scottish Football referees always raises a smile - so far they have failed to see any good football!
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - spamcan61
I too see few adverts (or TV at all for that matter) but I do think the Specsavers ones are pretty funny; the one where the vet mistakes his assistant's hat for a cat, and the one where the couple end up on an aircraft carrier thinking it's a car ferry.

As it 'appens I do use Specsavers for my specs, generally good value if you can avoid the tedious high pressure upsell.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - WillDeBeest
Hmm. But will those it's aimed at see enough to get the mild twist on the (40-year-old) joke? Out before dawn yesterday I was behind an old who plainly couldn't see - came to a near-stop for no apparent reason several times in half a mile. That said, Specsavers probably wouldn't be able to help in that case.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - Zero
Specssavers adds can be funny, the Cleese one isn't. Its boringly predictable.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - Clk Sec
I think it's quite funny, but it'll be flogged to death.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - R.P.
I was shocked to see how he'd aged
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - VxFan
>> I was shocked to see how he'd aged

Looks a lot older than 76.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - Zero
>> I think it's quite funny, but it'll be flogged to death.

The original scene was unexpected when first seen, and then if if repeated, because of the context, it was still funny.

With the specsavers one, As soon as cleese got into the car I could see what was coming.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - Focusless
>> I too see few adverts (or TV at all for that matter) but I do
>> think the Specsavers ones are pretty funny

I like the space shuttle landing at Luton airport one, and the cat. The new one isn't my favourite (the way the police markings suddenly appear spoils it for me), but I like seeing John Cleese in work; wonder how much he got for it?
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - martin aston
He needs the money to pay for his divorce. The ad will be played until we are sick of it. He has form when it comes to ads, anyone remember the Yellow Pages one years ago for a diamond ring (I think for a princess?) which was played to death. I tend to watch ITV on record and nip past the ads anyway. This is apparently a growing habit hence the advertisers moving more to product placement and the introductions to many programmes having ads integrated into them to push up the ad exposure.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - Ian (Cape Town)
>> He needs the money to pay for his divorce.

Which one?
I met him while he was on the 'Alimony Tour', after he once again got involved with a Conny Booth-type blonde-and-boobed wench. And had to thump out $$$$.
You think he would have learned.
He said last year before the Python gig that he was only in it (and everything else) for the money these days.
I read his autobiographical bok - So Anyway - obviously a cash-in on the Python reunion show.
Very poor, but he must have shifted a few thousand.

How sad when when sees one's heroes reduced tosuch levels.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - Duncan
>> I do>> think the Specsavers ones are pretty funny; the one where the vet mistakes his >> >> assistant's>> hat for a cat, and the one where the couple end up on an aircraft
>> carrier thinking it's a car ferry.

What! Funny?

They are absolutely cringe making.
 SpecSavers and Basil Fawlty - R.P.
You have a point Duncan.
Latest Forum Posts