Motoring Discussion > SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 18

SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - legacylad
I finally got around to taking a serious look at a SEAT yesterday. After a damp walk over the LD fells I thought it about time I checked out the Leon ST estate. A cracking looking car but I was not impressed by the build quality. I have nothing really derogatory to say about it, but the general interior ambience, quality of switchgear, plastics, fell far below my 11 yo 3 series. The rear load area had one tiny light on the OS. Didn't look to see if there was an overhead light, but even my old car has two excellent lights in the boot area. I don't have any squeaks or trim rattles on mine, apart from the ragtop flexing, and I would doubt an 11 yo Leon would be as rattle free.
The Cupra 280 estate was stickered up at over £29k. Strewth. Overall I was quite disappointed and I don't think I'll even bother with a test drive...back to plan A, an auto 328 Touring with panoramic roof.
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Fursty Ferret
I was quite keen on the Leon until I drove one. Hated it. Windscreen too small and steeply raked; rear view mirror too large and perilously close to my head; crap infotainment and ropey build quality.

Consider a V60.
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Lygonos
LL, add a Forester XT to the V60 for testing.

I'd second the opinion on the Leon being an ergonomic turd - it was fun throwing one around knockhill but the rear view mirror couldn't be in a worse position to block you vision.
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - mikeyb
FiL loves his, and he's quite a fussy chap.

Had a couple on hire and thought they were OK, but had no idea that there was a £29K one. For that money I'd be wanting a bit more "premium"
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - rtj70
I had a short test drive in a Leon FR 184PS 5 door. I thought it was okay to drive. But I wasn't 100% convinced with the interior. I had a 48 hour test drive arranged to see what it was like for a couple of days. But I got an A3 saloon for 48 hours before then and my mind was made up. I preferred the A3 for sure even though it cost a little more.

I cancelled the Leon test drive. I didn't want to wait for it and then I'd order the A3 anyway thus delaying my order by a month.

It was the quality of the car that made my mind up for me. But if I'd gone for an A3 saloon in S-Line trim with a 184PS diesel and manual gearbox, it would have cost much more each month than the Leon. But the 1.4 COD S-Tronic variant wasn't too much more than the Leon.

Legacylad, you should look at the current A3 Sportback and see what you think. You liked the previous model.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 08:55
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Bill Payer
We had an Ibiza in the family for a few years and, bearing in mind it's a Polo in a different body shell, it must have taken some effort to make it seem so low quality in comparison. It was particularly horrible around town, but bowling along on local fast A roads it drove well, and for a cheap car it had comfortable and supportive seats.

I thought the dealer was awful - something that seems absolutely standard from reading SEAT forums. They're also thin on the ground in some areas - there isn't one in Chester/Wirral/N Wales, for example.

I notice SEAT UK registrations were down almost 50% in December vs Dec14. Maybe there's a VAG emission effect, although VW's sales were almost identical over the same comparison.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 12 Jan 16 at 09:13
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Bobby
I haven't looked at the Seat website lately so this is just going on perception only

Ibiza - I heard there was a new model coming out but cant say I have noticed any but could be affecting sales.
Leons - see loads of them
Exeo - assume this is no longer sold
Cordoba - see a few of these at private hires but haven't seen any privately owned ones
Altea / Altea XL - haven't seen anything past a 64 plate that I can think of so not sure if these are still for sale
Alhambra - still see plenty of these.

So to my eye, sales falling could be due to lack of models!
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Bromptonaut
Had a quick look at SEAT offerings when contemplating the 'lingo replacement. Nothing that fitted my bill.

I think, as well as those Bobby lists, there's a city car too - counterpart to VW Up and Skoda Citygo.
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Runfer D'Hills
Bit of chuntering going on here about whether to buy an Up/Citigo/Mii for my son to learn on next year.

Not very used ones seem cheap enough.
Now awaiting lots of alternatives......probably nicer to drive than my Dads old Hillman Hunter estate and my Uncles auto Marina!!
A rather delicious girl I know has an Up. In stark contract to her Defender 110 which she uses to tow her twin horse trailer.
I meant luscious, not delicious, just in case .....
>> Bit of chuntering going on here about whether to buy an Up/Citigo/Mii for my son
>> to learn on next year.

Is that based on getting him insured and acquiring NCD asap or 'better to learn in a small car'?

Lots of Citygos at local Skoda place both new deliveries and s/h. Suspect the new ones were some sort of fleet thing - all either white or black and more or less sequentially registered.
Bit of both probably Bromp. Having said that, I learned in my Dad's Volvo 240 so was from day one never nervous of driving larger cars.
>> Having said that, I learned in my Dad's Volvo 240

Miss B learned in the Xantia and drove it confidently and well. Several of her friends - all taller girls than her - expressed surprise that she was happy to do so.

She's now pressing to be allowed to drive the seven tonne lorry at work but needs to pass a test first. Keeps being passed over in favour of older staff who've got 'grandfather' rights to drive it on a car licence.
My wife learned in an ( old ) Mini and the day after she passed her test she was asked to take the works Transit van from her part time job on a delivery run.

She somehow managed to keep the mirrors intact and became quite used to it eventually.
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Bill Payer
>> She somehow managed to keep the mirrors intact and became quite used to it eventually.
>>
More than I did the first time I hired one. Thank Goodness I paid the excess waiver!
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - commerdriver
>> She's now pressing to be allowed to drive the seven tonne lorry at work but
>> needs to pass a test first. Keeps being passed over in favour of older staff
>> who've got 'grandfather' rights to drive it on a car licence.
>>
Someday companies, and voluntary organsations, schools etc., are going to have to bite the bullet and train employees to drive larger vehicles / minibusses / vehicles with trailers as the supply of those with "grandfather" rights dries up.
My oldest's company put him through trailer training and test as he needed it for work.
If Miss B is that keen, how much does it cost to do the training for a 7 tonner?
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - Harleyman

>> If Miss B is that keen, how much does it cost to do the training
>> for a 7 tonner?
>>

Probably about the same as for a Category C LGV licence, which is far better value for money.
 SEAT Leon II - High hopes dashed - commerdriver
Out of curiosity Harleyman, does that need regular operator confirmation it is still in use to stay valid?
I remember my uncle having to get his PSV licence (as they used to be called) verified every 3 years by a local operator to keep it valid when he was no longer working full time as a bus driver
Latest Forum Posts