Motoring Discussion > Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Alastairw Replies: 25

Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - Alastairw
The current Octavia is showing every sign of passing its imminent MOT, and assuming it does I don't doubt it will give me another years service. However, I've had it 6 years (longer than the cat!) and I'm ready for a change.

Mazda 6, in TS2 spec with the 2.0, 153 bhp petrol have caught my eye. Anyone had an experience with it, or have a reason why I shouldn't?

Of course, the change might not happen very soon (unless the Octy really disgraces itself in the test), but in true Legacylad style I though I would drag the departure out for a while.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - WillDeBeest
...but in true Legacylad style I though I would drag the departure out for a while.

OOOOOAH NOOOOOAH!

If you're going to compete you'd better make sure you insist on hexagonal wheels and a left-handed pencil sharpener. That way you can pretend you're still looking and 'just haven't found the right car yet'.
};---)
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - Runfer D'Hills
I find the Mazda 6, especially as an estate, a very pleasing design aesthetically anyway. Never driven one but the reviews seem good.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - sherlock47
Friends Mazda 6 suffered very expensive gearbox failure after water contaminated auto Transmission Fluid via the integrated cooling radiators . Not an unknown problem.
I'd be looking at manuals, so I'm not worried about the auto box problem. The estate is smart, but is just a bit 'copier salesman' so I will be looking for a hatchback, which is plenty big enough for me.
In truth, on a day to day basis, a smaller car would be fine but I like to have a big boot and space to carry adult sized people in the back seats.
And to be able to go to the tip. People always forget about the tip. Small cars are all very well but they just don't cut it at the tip.

Edit- if estates are a bit copier salesman, then saloons/hatchbacks are a bit "accountant"

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 13 Feb 16 at 09:21
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - PeterS
>>
>> Edit- if estates are a bit copier salesman, then saloons/hatchbacks are a bit "accountant"
>>
>> ;-)
>>

I'm technically an accountant, and I've got an estate *and* a convertible ;) The estates going soonish though, to be replaced by a saloon :o

Though 3 grand gets you this as well... www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/121900573476
>>technically an accountant...

An old pal of mine was too, he was the FD at a company where I was the marketing director.

He used to do a thing where he could talk about something totally unrelated, or tell some light hearted story while apparently doing complex calculations on his oversized calculator without ever looking at it and then glancing down at it and claiming to have the accurate answer to a finance question raised a few minutes before.

I'm never did work out whether he was just bashing random keys and making up the answer but he used to do it with such confidence and aplomb it seemed real anyway.

I know he used to suspect me of using smoke and mirrors too, which of course I also denied...

;-)

Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - WillDeBeest
...I will be looking for a hatchback...

Clever! That might even out-LL the Lad himself.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - legacylad
Ha
Not if on returning to the UK I get proper bored of Lookin
And seek out a 3GT
Put that in your bocadero....
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - Alanovich
>> I will be looking
>> for a hatchback

I presume second hand then? Current model is saloon and estate only. Further presumption - must be a MKII Mazda 6 you're thinking of? I like the idea of them too, based on my good experience with my current MkI (facelift) 06 plate 2.0 petrol auto estate.
Yes A, looking for a series 2, 2010 to 2013. Got to be a hatch, not silver or white.

MOT day for the Octavia tomorrow. Fingers crossed it passes.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - Ateca chris
I have had my 2009 mazda 6 TS2 for 2 years bought at 60k, next couple of weeks will be 0n 100k been faultless. And has no sweeks or rattles.

My previous 6 which was the mk1 was also a 2 ltr petrol and that also was faultless with the 60k i put on it. Only problem it had was like Alanovićs it used about a litre of oil every couple of thousand miles, current one uses none.

The TS2 spec is not bad duel zone climate control, auto lights and wipers, auto dip rear view mirror, heated mirrors and power folding 17' alloys rides ok and handles well also looks good
in hatchback like i have.

Engine pull ok in lower gears but get to 3k rpm when the vvt kicks in she then takes off.

Economy is ok ish 31 (every day driving) 39 on motorway. If i set cruise at 75 iv seen 47 once or twice.

Hope that helps you make a decision after many fords the mazda's have been the best built and most reliable
It's all good so far. Need to get some financial ducks in a row, then it will be time to search seriously.

Vvt sounds fun - the current Octavia kicks on at about 4000 rpm when the injectors change to stratified mode. Is 6th gear in the 6 very high? It equates to about 2500 rpm in the Skoda.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - Auntie Lockbrakes
A very popular car in ANZ, particularly among company car drivers. Far outsold the equivalent Mondeo.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - Alanovich
I was surprised last week to see the popularity of the MkI Mazda 6 in Slovenia. And, thinking about it, the profusion of Mazdas in general. They were easily the most numerous Japanese/non-European marque. In former-YU countries, VAG cars are the default these days, the old Soviet block and Yugo cars have almost disappeared, although I did see a beautiful orange 1960's Skoda on the road whilst passing through Bosnia. Ac would have swooned.

Maybe the Slovenes have some kind of arrangement with Mazda. Struck me as odd, I must say.
Rejoice. The Octavia has passed her MOT. This means that the Mazda search can be taken slowly in order that the right car is found. That said, I have a free Saturday this weekend so I might go and poke about at the local main dealer, gf permitting.
Or, keep the Skoda for another three years ( especially if you don't need it for getting to work ) and have more exotic or simply just more, holidays during the period.

Any car you buy will just become "the car" within weeks but fun times become great memories.
You are probably right. But I do have that ' had it 6 years' itch.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - legacylad
Does that apply to Maseratis Runfer? Although I understand where you are coming from, especially as you drive a Brussels taxi.
In case anyone is wondering, the musings have stopped, at least for a while. Changing the Octavia's oil has made her run so much smoother, and she does pretty much everything I need at minimal cost, so the car changing idea has been kicked into the long grass for the time being. The miniscule pay increase I got this month has helped me decide.

Still fancy a Mazda 6 when the time comes though.
 Mazda Mazda 6 - More Musings - rtj70
>> Still fancy a Mazda 6 when the time comes though.

If this is the current Mazda6 then holding on will mean the improved model drops in price. When I considered one in 2014 the inside was low quality but they have improved it.

It's still a car that looks better than it is so to speak. Look at the chrome surround on the hatchback behind the C pillar. The blacked out bit is plastic and not a glass panel.
Current model only comes as saloon or estate, so I'm looking at Mk 2s, which came as a good looking (imo) hatch. Waiting for a while makes them cheaper and realistically the Octavia doesn't have much further to fall in cash value terms.
Forgot to say that I liked the Mazda6 when I test drove it all the same. A comfortable car. Negatives for me were:

- Not the best quality interior
- Sat nav/Stereo was very poor from a user interface perspective
- Keyless entry and go*

* Manual warned about pacemakers and that was a concern.

I might consider it again in 12 months... but who knows. Overall cost per month for a Tiguan GTE might be less :-)
Mate has a 15 plate Tiguan. It's OK, I suppose, but I just don't get it. The loading lip at the rear is unnecessarily high, for instance, and it seems pretty thirsty for a 2.0 TDI.
Note I said a Tiguan GTE. The new Tiguan is just out. The GTE will be a plug-in hybrid like the Golf and Passat GTEs. So lower BIK.

Tiguan might be considered so it's easier for father in law to get in and out of. He's 84.
Latest Forum Posts