Motoring Discussion > Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 34

Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - PR
I've had the Maserati for a year now, so I thought I would sum it up so far.

It is a Blu emozione Ghibli diesel with the 20" Uranos, carbon trim, privacy glass and the convenience pack.

I have covered in the year 23k miles. It has had 2 services in that time (12.5 and 25k) and it now has coming up to 30k on the clock.

There have been no warranty issues so far.

A few niggles. Although I am the only one who can hear it there is a loose rattle from the rear suspension that I am convinced is an ARB bush, I will replace with poly bushes when I can.
I have had the power steering light on a couple of mornings when the temperature has been below zero (a re start cleared it each time).
On stopping to park at times when you are moving it into park the stop start stops the engine then restarts it again just before you turn it off which can be annoying.
Rear space isn't what it should be considering the size of the thing, however its not an issue normally for me.
As others have said I still think there is a hesitation when booting it, though its my first auto and I am not sure if this is common on all autos.?

The good bits
The looks of course, I really like the way it looks, and the cabin is a very nice place to be particularly with the alcantara roof trim and the carbon inserts. The sound is great (for a diesel!), and the engine pulls very strongly, the only thing is that it is very peaky, even for a diesel (BM diesels red line at 5.5k revs, this does at 4.5k)
It is decent on fuel, I get around 42-44mpg on a run and around 40 around town and on my commute to work.
I have some winters on now and in the recent snows in I.C.E mode it was great. Took it up snow packed inclines with no issues whatsoever. Very sure footed.
The boot is big, and although the opening is shallow ish I have never had an issue.
I personally like the touch screen system, it does everything I would want it to do and is clear and concise. Maybe the graphics could be a touch better but I don't really have a problem with how it looks. I had a BMW 4 series as a loaner when it was in for service and I didn't like the idrive on that, admittedly I didn't know the system but the Ghiblis was obvious from the off.

I will add more when I think of it but overall I am still overjoyed with it
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Fenlander
There is a Maserati dealer adj the Honda dealer where we visit with daughter's Jazz.

I always comment in the never to happen circumstances of affording such a vehicle I'd be straight to them if only to avoid the over-obvious choice of Ferrari, Porsche etc!

No idea which model but they had a gorgeous mid met blue one the other week that looked stunning but not in an overtly flash way.
It was probably a Ghibli then, the GT cars do look flash lol.

Mine is a mid blue, which IMHO is the best colour for this car. I waited for one the right colour / spec and was lucky this one came up (it was 6 months and 6k miles old when I bought it)
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Fenlander
It was this model car thay had in the same colour and had a light tan interior.

cdn.boldride.com/maserati/2014/maserati-ghibli.2000x1333.Jul-07-2013_13.59.08.149281.jpg
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 23 Feb 16 at 12:51
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - sooty123
Very nice car, I see very few of them about. They've nailed the styling outside it looks easily the best of the big saloons.
Yes that's mine and my colour, though I have the 20" rims, those are the 21"

I also have black leather which I prefer...
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Alanovich
I think you probably need an estate car though, so I'll swap you a nice SAAB 9-5 diesel for the Ghibli.

Out of the kindness of my heart.
Haha Thanks Alanovic... you are too kind :)

Seriously though the running costs are reasonable. I bought the service pack which was around £1300 for the first 3 services, which although expensive for what is in effect 3 oil and filter changes, its not too outlandish
You know what, I didn't even realise such a beast as a diesel Mazza existed. I have now fired up Autotrader, checked my financial projections until retirement, and realised I are much disappoint and, indeed, depress. ;-)

Sounds like a wondrous machine.
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Focusless
>> You know what, I didn't even realise such a beast as a diesel Mazza existed.

snap :)
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=19248&m=424524
Like this...

log.autogespot.com/05-2013/ghibli_more/7.jpg

Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Dave_
>> As others have said I still think there is a hesitation when booting it,
>> though its my first auto and I am not sure if this is common on all autos.?

It will most likely be some form of torque limiting software, to stop the sudden thump of torque causing damage to the drivetrain. Your Ghibli has 570Nm and 285mm wide rear tyres, so you'd probably harm the gearbox or diff before lighting up the rubber.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee (500Nm, 265mm wide tyres) has the same hesitation for, I think, the same reason.
Dave, isn't it time you completed your username in your traditional style?

Dave_UrbanAssaultVehicle, maybe.

;-)
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Alastairw
Don't the Jeep and Ghibli have basically the same V6 diesel and gearbox combination?
It is, though with a different head if you believe the literature...
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Bill Payer
>> Don't the Jeep and Ghibli have basically the same V6 diesel and gearbox combination?
>>
Not sure about the gearbox but the engine, built by Fiat, is in a few Chrysler models. With lower fuel prices and increased animosity towards diesels in the US I can't imagine the production volume of the engine is very high.
It wont sell much in the US that's for sure. It may end up finding its way into Alfa Romeos in the future, and will be the main seller in the Levante, which is about to be released.
>> and will be the main seller in the Levante, which is about to be released.
>>
Reminds me of the Infinity SUVs that I always think look very smart when I see them in Florida.
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - MD
'er indoors has lots of talk and she can wreck any drive - train or otherwise.
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - legacylad
What a gorgeous looking car
Fancy a drive to the Alps next month? Myself and a couple of friends will pay all expenses incurred, even pay your lift pass.
Please contact me via the Mods.
He says hopefully
A kind offer legacylad, and if I had enough holiday I would... unfortunately I haven't ;)

It would be a prefect car for a blast across Europe, hoping to get down to Italy this summer in it...
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - legacylad
Marvellous
When I used to drive down to the south of France in convoy with friends for a two week camping holiday, I got immense pleasure out of the route planning stage.
It was a long time ago.. In my late teens. A convoy of my old Spitfire, Fiat 127 and an old Mini.
I've done the drive down to the family village about 20 times now, I love it. Its down near Naples so quite a trek, but it remains my favourite part of the holiday
Last edited by: PR on Wed 24 Feb 16 at 10:02
I've had it 2 and a bit years now, and has just passed the 50k mile mark.

Continues to be a joy to own. It has had 1 issue, where it flattened its battery after 4 days of not being used. It failed to start and Maserati assist came out and had me going in an hour.

No other issues reliability wise. One other "niggle" is that the sat nav jammed for 2 days, then righted itself.

Its now out of its service plan and just had the 50k mile service done at the Maserati main dealer, which was too expensive. I knew it wouldn't be cheap but it was more than I thought funny!. Its under warranty until June and although I know you don't have to have it serviced there I thought in the circumstances I would.

Only consumable replaced so far were the front pads. Apart from that all is well.
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Hard Cheese
>> Its now out of its service plan and just had the 50k mile service done
>> at the Maserati main dealer, which was too expensive. I knew it wouldn't be cheap
>> but it was more than I thought funny!. Its under warranty until June and although
>> I know you don't have to have it serviced there I thought in the circumstances
>> I would.
>>

Surely having a service outside of the dealer network would take more off the value of the car than the cost of the service.

I guess you can extend the warranty or is it very expensive?

I am reckoning that when I come to sell the car, it will be very high miles so I cant see the out of dealer network being too big an issue.

The extended warranty is available but there are 3 issues..

1. It costs £3k for 24 months
2. It doesn't sound particularly comprehensive (eg suspension bushes not covered)
3. Requires dealer servicing.

The 50k mile service which is oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter and that's about it was just under £700!
>> The 50k mile service which is oil, oil filter, air filter, diesel filter and that's
>> about it was just under £700!
>>
Be around that, if not more, for a V6 diesel Merc at a dealer. The fuel filter has some electronics in it and is pretty expensive - yours may well be similar.
>> I am reckoning that when I come to sell the car, it will be very
>> high miles so I cant see the out of dealer network being too big an
>> issue.
>>

Hmm, I'm not sure, the car is potentially still going to be worth a fair sum and high mileage exec/exotic cars are much more appealing with full dealer history than if any indy has touched it.

Lets say we are talking about 3 x £700 services, that's £2100, and let's say an indy would charge £300, that's £900; so you would save £1200, surely the car would be worth at least a couple of grand more with full dealer history at, say, 4 ish years and 80k ish miles.
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - mikeyb
Servicing does sound a bit steep - I guess the Lexus GS is broadly equivalent - servicing on the GS is around £300 interim / £600 full and £1095 for 2 years extended warranty

No idea what Maserati dealer are like but might the main dealer servicing buy some "goodwill"
Main dealers can skimp just as well as the Indy'. Jusy saying.....
 Ghibli Diesel - 1 year review - Zero
>> Main dealers can skimp just as well as the Indy'. Jusy saying.....

They can, but on newish exotica Main Dealer stamp in service book is required to sell it on.
Point taken Squire:-)
All valid points.

Cheddar, your maths are quite right, but extend that to be another 7 or 8 services (to say 130k miles) and the money saved then vs the value of the car and it starts to not be so clear.

The MD seems to be fairly good. Service levels are good, however my trusted indy garage is more trustworthy.
Does it really make sense keeping it that long, I don't know. I mean it might be worth 50% of list at 80k and only 20% at 130k ...
Depends how you look at it. You still do those extra 50k miles, just on the next car!
Latest Forum Posts