Motoring Discussion > DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? Legal Questions
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate Replies: 14

DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Dulwich Estate
I am about to transfer a car I own to a younger member of the family. No money will change hands but we want the car registered in the new name and address to suit the driver's insurers, the parking permit authority but primarily so I don't get NIPs and parking fines.

The DVLA website says allow 4 weeks to receive the new documents.

If anyone has bought/sold a car recently perhaps you could let me know how long it takes in reality.

I want to leave it until after 15th August so the new owner gets the updated, non-compromised V5 form.
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Bellboy
new registrations are round the corner so realistically you want to submit now
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Kevin
>If anyone has bought/sold a car recently perhaps you could let me know how long it takes in reality.

It seems to vary.

I part-X'd a car two weeks ago. The V5C for the new one arrived in about 7 days - I'm still waiting for confirmation from DVLA that ownership of my old car has been transferred to the dealer.

Kevin...
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Harleyman
Doubt it's got much to do with living relatively close to Swansea, but in my experience no more than 3 weeks.
I'd forgotten about the bulge of new registrations, but isn't that March 1 and September 1 nowadays.

I reckon from the info so far that we're looking at maybe 10 to 20 days.
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - FotheringtonTomas
>> The DVLA website says allow 4 weeks to receive the new documents.
>> If anyone has bought/sold a car recently perhaps you could let me know how long
>> it takes in reality.

Receiving the forms is one thing, actually making the transfer is another. If you complete the parts of the V5C form properly (you send the thing to DVLA, *keep a copy or photo.*), new keeper fills up S10, you *will* also have a "receipt" saying that the transfer has been made (even if for £0), and the date), and date it, you will be OK WRT NIPs etc.

I sold a car about on 03/07, bought another on 03/07. The reg. doc. for my new one arrived early (ISTR) last week (N.B. no frank on envelope or enclosed letter, just log book), and I received an acknowledgement of "no longer reg. keeper" from DVLA, letter dated 15/07, again no frank on envelope ISTR late last week.

So, the forms take 2 weeks+ - however, the documentation that you personally got as a guard against NIPs etc. cover you.
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Cliff Pope
I had heard nothing after 5 weeks. I rang up, and they sent out a V5. Then 2 weeks later another V5 arrived, triggered by the original notification.
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Kevin
Received two envelopes from DVLA today.

One acknowledging the transfer of my old car - so it's taken four weeks.

The other a reminder that it needs taxing at the end of August.

Kevin...
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Bigtee
One week is all it took me from the dealer sending it off to me receiving it.

However cashing in the road tax from the old car took it to local office in Leeds and they say payment to be sent in 6 weeks! How poor why not pay me there and then.
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Bellboy
Bigtee you cannot be serious?
did you go in there on a quiet day?
theres usually at least one person kicking off
can you imagine explaining to a foreigner that he gets xyz back because its the first of a new month now and thats all its worth
surely far easier to have a central place where all cheques are sent from

plus someone would be can opening the glass palace if they thought it was full of blank cheques or oodles of cash k
next to the motorway too for a quick getaway...................
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Fullchat
10 days from taxing the Yamaha at a Post Office where they retained the Registration Document and it arriving in the post.
The notification of a change of keeper was posted on 16th August and the new keeper received the new V5C before 28th - so that was a maximum of 12 days. Today, after 15 days I received an "Acknowledgment Letter" from DVLA confirming I am no longer the keeper.

Hmmph!......though still paying insurance, road fund licence, MoT, servicing......
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - movilogo
4-6 weeks max - usually sooner
 DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Hard Cheese

When I sold a Kawasaki a few years ago it took over a year, I only realised when I got the new RFL reminder for it. Fortunatley the new owner had not commioted any speeding or parking fines.

DVLA - Change of owner - how long ? - Collos
9 days which I thought was pretty good and the logbook is a red colour is that new security idea.
Latest Forum Posts