Motoring Discussion > Low Mileage Diesels Buying / Selling
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 53

Low Mileage Diesels - zippy
An elderly relative is about to buy a nearly new Ford diesel with a particulate filter.

Problem is he only does about 8k miles a year and all around town.

I did warn him that there is a potential problem with DPFs and short trips and was treated with disdain - "I have brought cars all my life and never had a problem".

So, do I just sit back and enjoy the schadenfreude when he gets a clogged filter and he gets a big bill or do I try to persuade him once more?
 Low Mileage Diesels - R.P.
Take it out for an Italian Tune Up every month for him ?
 Low Mileage Diesels - NortonES2
Wouldn't want to buy a diesel with low miles anticipated, what with the fuss about NOx and the point made re DPF. But some people are just not savvy. Tell him to get a Jazz:)
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 17:06
 Low Mileage Diesels - Clk Sec
Why on earth would anyone only doing 8k miles a year want to fork out the extra for a new diesel motor?

HJ answered a question in the DT today, regarding potential DPF problems in cars used mainly for short runs from cold.

A relative had to scrap a Passat a couple of years ago, because the DPF repairs would have been more than the value of his car.
 Low Mileage Diesels - Dutchie
I average about 12000 miles a year.Had the Focus Diesel with the filter and after that the C4 Grand Picasso diesel.

Touch wood no problem with either of them regarding the DPF filter.I do use the higher grade fuel for ninety percent and have done in both vehicles.When given the change I put my foot down to give the car a good run out.
 Low Mileage Diesels - WillDeBeest
You'd get more change if you bought ordinary diesel instead of premium.
};---)
>>Why on earth would anyone only doing 8k miles a year want to fork out the extra for a new diesel motor?

I know!

I suspect he has X to spend and there happens to be a car in the local dealership for that amount that he likes - sales man must think his Christmas came early!
 Low Mileage Diesels - John Boy
To answer the original question - I'd just sit back and let him get on with it. I can't see any point in doing otherwise. Your opinion may be correct, but he'll never find that out if you persuade him to go for petrol.
 Low Mileage Diesels - CGNorwich
It's not low mileage that is the problem, it's the type of driving. I have driving around 30,000 miles in my diesel Golf. Most of that has been on main roads, often dual carriagway. I seldom drive short distances as I tend to walk anything less that 2 miles and often up to 5 miles. I have never had a problem with th DpF on this cr or its predecessor.

I bought a diesel because I prefer them on long drives. There is a premium to pay over petrol but by a and large you rocker that on selling
Recover that on selling.
 Low Mileage Diesels - Old Navy
Was predictive text invented by pe(n)dants?
 Low Mileage Diesels - MD
Last edited by: MD on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 20:11
 Low Mileage Diesels - John Boy
What are these blank posts caused by? It happened to me the other day, except I just gave up and didn't bother posting.
 Low Mileage Diesels - R.P.
dunno...I assumed that they had been self edited to be blank. I'll check with the site developer for you.
 Low Mileage Diesels - Ian (Cape Town)
The man who invented predictive text died this week. His funfair will be next sundial.
 Low Mileage Diesels - sooty123
>> The man who invented predictive text died this week. His funfair will be next sundial.
>>

Shouldn't that be in the terrible jokes section?
 Low Mileage Diesels - Bill Payer
>> A relative had to scrap a Passat a couple of years ago, because the DPF
>> repairs would have been more than the value of his car.
>>
We got a Tiguan diesel to do 5K/yr – at the time, 6mths ago, there wasn’t a petrol option.

I don’t know if this is common amongst other marques, but the latest VW diesel engine, EA288, will never passive regen in normal use as the dpf doesn’t get anything lot hot enough. VW engineers know this (although VW UK and the dealers don’t) so they arranged for the car to do a forced regen when the soot loading demands it, or at 465 miles if not done before. This means it’s pointless taking the car for a weekly razz.

We got a good deal on the car but I knew the emissions stuff was horrifically complex so intended to dump the car at 3yrs as Tiguan residual were very strong. However VW’s issues and the general turning of the tide against diesels may well have messed that up that plan.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 24 Apr 16 at 05:10
>> But some people are just not savvy. Tell
>> him to get a Jazz:)
>>

Old people don't like the latest Jazz - they're not getting on with all it's tech stuff.
 Low Mileage Diesels - Slidingpillar
Old people don't like the latest Jazz - they're not getting on with all it's tech stuff.

And not so old'uns too. It looks pants!
 Low Mileage Diesels - madf
>> Old people don't like the latest Jazz - they're not getting on with all it's
>> tech stuff.

>>
>> And not so old'uns too. It looks pants!
>>

I keep getting offers of a free upgrade to auto from our local Honda dealer. I see no reason to change - and the looks don't encourage me...
I don't see the problem with the looks, apart from the ugly Honda grille. Thinking of the Civic, the Accord and the CRV, I'd say the Jazz got off lightly.

In any case, when you see the other things old people buy - Suzukis, Merivas, Hyundais... - would you argue that looks are a big selling point?
I think out of those sort of cars suzuki make the nicest looking ones. The swift and vitara are the best of the bunch.
 Low Mileage Diesels - Clk Sec
>> In any case, when you see the other things old people buy

Another wee crack at the oldies...
...or, more reasonably, at the cars they choose - which was a subject someone else brought up.
 Low Mileage Diesels - Manatee
>> ...or, more reasonably, at the cars they choose - which was a subject someone else
>> brought up.

Perhaps we can have a thread on cars that women choose, or different ethnic minorities?

No, I'm not serious.

Being slightly more serious - among some cars I tested this week on a motoring day out, including a Civic Type R 2.0GT (fabulous, insane, 310PS and 0-62 in 5.7s) was a Fiat 500X 2.0D Multijet 140bhp.

It was not at all whelming. To Bill Payer's comment, the 'technology' was intrusive. OK, so one can get used to it - but what's the point? After 15 minutes of guessing when it will stop the engine, whether it will restart when I depress the clutch (answer no, if you swapped drivers when you stopped), where the start button is (behind the steering wheel where I can't see it), whether it will/has put the 'handbrake' on, what gear it was in and how to set the sport mode (9 speed auto) I'd lost interest.

Nice car actually, quiet, comfortable, nippy, but somehow very unengaging. Now that may well be temporary and down to the non-standard controls, but I can see how that would work against a car on a test drive.

The Type R incidentally has a proper handbrake. As does the Jazz AFAIK. Different as they were to each other, both the Type R and a new CRV 1.6 i-DTEC felt like a familiar pair of boots, no adjustment required, full attention available for driving. I'd expect the same from a Jazz, but I haven't seen the latest one.

>> I'd expect the same from a Jazz, but I haven't seen the latest one.
>>
The main complaint is over the touch screen particularly the models where the heating and ventilation is controlled through it rather than having proper twiddly knobs. Apparently it doesn't work that well anyway, and it doesn't work at when they're wearing their gloves!

Also, I think the lights don't have an off position - they're either auto or on and in auto they have a mind of their own. To be fair, I've never liked auto lights.
...and it doesn't work at when they're wearing their gloves!

How about when wearing a hat and a beige Harrington jacket?
};---)
 Low Mileage Diesels - madf
>> I don't see the problem with the looks, apart from the ugly Honda grille. Thinking
>> of the Civic, the Accord and the CRV, I'd say the Jazz got off lightly.
>>
>>
>> In any case, when you see the other things old people buy - Suzukis, Merivas,
>> Hyundais... - would you argue that looks are a big selling point?
>>

Just because many people have no taste nor finer appreciation of form does not mean I should become a pleb like them :-)
Aren't all cars inherently ugly things? Big blocks of shiny painted metal dropped into our landscape.The shape of the grill is hardly an issue in the overall scheme of things The bigger the car the more intrusive and uglier they are. If everybody only bought a car of the size they need and parked them properly our cities and street would look a whole lot nicer.
Honda do an optional front grille for the Jazz, not worth £260 unless you can get it in the deal.
Three editions. Myopia, presbyopia and nearly b***** blind. I am in the Jazz demographic btw:)
Just on the local radio station....

"X, your local Honda dealer is merging its showroom at Y with its showroom at Z to improve customer service!"

Z is 15 miles further away - how is this improving customer service! Typical marketing rubbish!
Aren't all cars inherently ugly things?

No, I don't think they are. An obstructive excess of anything trumps any individual beauty of the thing itself. Orchids are delightful; a room so full of orchids that you can't get to bed is a problem, although possibly not an aesthetic one.

A single car, though, can still be a beautiful object. Although if it is, these days it's unlikely to bear a Honda badge.

I do agree that the effect of cars and their infrastructure on our natural and built environments has been mostly detrimental. There are plans where I work to construct a rather witty and stylish multi-storey car park, but it will still be a multi-storey car park. As for caravan sites, if there's one of those anywhere that doesn't wreck the scenery it's located in, I've yet to see it.
There is one near to us on the outskirts of Buxton. It's down a deep hole in the limestone. AKA a quarry:)
 Low Mileage Diesels - Manatee
>>As for caravan sites, if there's one of those anywhere that doesn't wreck the
>> scenery it's located in, I've yet to see it.

There will be plenty that you haven't seen. Probably the majority of touring sites are not obvious until you get into them.
Quite like the idea of a room crammed full of orchids.

I'm not sure I could see any mass produced car as a thing of beauty. Well designed of functional certainly but if I had a choice between any vehicle of any type whatsoever being parked in the road outside my house and visible when looking through the window or no vehicle at all I would choose no vehicle.

I rather guess most people would agree and to prefer not to have to look at a car however expensive and allegedly beautiful if they had a choice.

I rather guess most people would agree and to prefer not to have to look at a car however expensive and allegedly beautiful if they had a choice.
>>

I dunno about that i bet most aren't bothered either way. It doesn't block the view of anything of note for most, brick walls, pavement etc. Doesn't take away or add anything for me.
Well if the choice between looking a brick wall, concrete pavement or a car rates about equal it's not an overwhelming vote for the beauty of cars is it.
>> Well if the choice between looking a brick wall, concrete pavement or a car rates about equal it's not an overwhelming vote for the beauty of cars is it.
>>

No most run of the mill cars aren't what anyone would call beautiful but neither are they ugly. Part of our everyday life.
Just bashed sheet steel, some seats, wheels and an engine of some sort. It's the badge you pay for.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 24 Apr 16 at 21:53
>> Just bashed sheet steel, some seats, wheels and an engine of some sort. It's the
>> badge you pay for.
>>

Must be a pretty big badge ;)
Hardly, ON. I like the look of both my E220 estate and my 325 coupé; 'beautiful' might be a stretch for either but they're pleasing pieces of design and not in themselves ugly. The X6 and the GLS coupé bear the same badges but are overblown and - yes - ugly.

So expensive cars can be ugly but cheap ones can be pleasing: an egg-yolk yellow Fiat 500 always makes me smile.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 24 Apr 16 at 22:03
>> an egg-yolk yellow Fiat 500 always makes me smile.
>>

Is that the custard coloured one? :-)
 Low Mileage Diesels - Lygonos
>>an egg-yolk yellow Fiat 500 always makes me smile.

>>Is that the custard coloured one? :-)

They always make me think of pizza:

www.freestival.co.uk/uploads/5/2/3/6/5236816/3638758.png?375
I once owned a custard coloured Datsun 160B, my daughters were at a sensitive image conscious age and it was the transport of very last resort. One of them now owns a custard coloured Captur, how times change. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 25 Apr 16 at 08:24
I just don't think I'll ever see,
A car as lovely as a tree.
>> I just don't think I'll ever see,
>> A car as lovely as a tree.
>>

Suppose it depends what state its in, not many lovely chopped up trees, well unless you want to fire. Then it's spot on.
But we began this detour with 'all cars are inherently ugly'. 'Trees are prettier than cars' (I agree: they are) doesn't prove that there aren't some non-ugly motors.
Since ugliness and beauty are subjective qualities both my assertion and yours are of course inherently unprovable. All I know is that if I feel the need to view objects of beauty I am unlikely to visit a car park.

Low Mileage Diesels - Avant
I think that I shall never see
A tree as fast as series Three.
Nor do I think I'll ever see
A tree as large as LEC.
Nor yet my eyes I'll ever feast
On gnus as tall as Will de Beest.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 24 Apr 16 at 23:07
 Low Mileage Diesels - rtj70
Very good.

But: A tree as large as LEC.

www.rushcreeklodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/tuolumne-grove-giant-sequoia-tunnel.jpg

How big's a LEC! :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 24 Apr 16 at 23:11
 Low Mileage Diesels - Avant
Fair point Rob - but I think they're native only to California, where I'm unlikely to go! So I can still claim I'm unlikely to see one.

The only British Redwood is the MP for Wokingham. I met John a few times - a nicer man than the press make out. He goes to church but doesn't sing in sequoia.
 Low Mileage Diesels - No FM2R
>> but doesn't sing in sequoia.

Clever I'll give you, but you should still get your coat.
 Low Mileage Diesels - Tigger

>>
>> Old people don't like the latest Jazz - they're not getting on with all it's
>> tech stuff.
>>
Not just old people. My wife went out to buy a new Jazz, but came back with a Yaris.

The user interface on the Jazz was awful (loads of buttons, etc)
Latest Forum Posts