Motoring Discussion > Own up! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 18

Own up! - Old Navy
Which one of you southern residents is the serial splasher?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-hunt-car-splasher-who-7824808
 Own up! - Falkirk Bairn
Car is a grey import /2nd hand import -the wee driver's mirror on the front wing.
 Own up! - WillDeBeest
Which also means it carries a Pajero badge on the back. Since there's not much business for straw sellers in Kentish Town, that leaves us with the other Spanish meaning:
Persona que se masturba con frecuencia.
 Own up! - Falkirk Bairn
So the driver isn't a Banker!
 Own up! - Duncan
How could it be careless driving if he did it deliberately?
 Own up! - No FM2R
Didn't it used to be "without due care and attention"? which presumably includes for others....
 Own up! - Manatee
'Careless' is worse than 'due care and attention', or used to be.

I don't see why it isn't possible to be deliberately careless. And running along a gutter next to a pavement could even be 'dangerous'. I was hit by a passing van's mirror once when I was on the pavement.
 Own up! - Runfer D'Hills
I was hit on the back of the head by a bus mirror in similar circumstances when I was a child. Some of you may see this as explaining a lot.

;-)
 Own up! - Manatee
You being unlucky with mirrors?
 Own up! - Runfer D'Hills
Maybe that too !
 Own up! - CGNorwich
i suspect the charge would be Driving Without due consideration for other road users.

Own up! - WillDeBeest
I don't see why it isn't possible to be deliberately careless.

I do. If you do something deliberately without regard to its potential consequences, you slip beyond carelessness into recklessness. One is unintentional negligence, the other deliberate.

Example:

Careless: forgetting to shut off the water before dismantling a tap to change the washer.

Reckless: knowing you should shut off the water but not bothering.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 25 Apr 16 at 19:56
 Own up! - Manatee
I'll go with that.
 Own up! - Harleyman
>> Didn't it used to be "without due care and attention"? which presumably includes for others....
>>

Was there not at one time an offence of "driving without due consideration for other road users"?

Presumably it was done away with at the behest of BMW and Audi, in order to enhance their sales figures. ;-)
 Own up! - CGNorwich
There still is - see my post above.

As you will see from the CPS website that amongst, other things, is the normal charge for driving through puddles and soaking pedestrians.

www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_prosecuting_cases_of_bad_driving/#a31
 Own up! - Cliff Pope
Try living in the country - you get more than just water. :)
 Own up! - Alastairw
The last time I was scooshed by a careless driver (always seems to be a small car, IME) the driver got caught in a jam a few hundred yards ahead. I thought this would be the ideal opportunity to make my views clear to the inconsiderate swine, but as I accelerated to catch up, I missed my footing and measured my length on the footpath. Thus embarrassment and a sizeable bruise were added to my soaked trouser legs - and the driver got clean away.
 Own up! - Alanovich
Worst thing I was ever hit by from a passing vehicle was a carrier bag full of vomit, thrown out of the back of an Army truck heading towards Combermere Barracks in Windsor. I was about 13 at the time. Nice lads.
 Own up! - NortonES2
Once followed, at a very safe distance, a small car that ran into each puddle at the left side of the rural road. Sought them out, deviating from the centre lane to do so. There's more out than in, as the head nurse at the asylum said.
Latest Forum Posts