Motoring Discussion > Triumph Sprint SE. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 17

Triumph Sprint SE. - R.P.
For those that don't know this is a 1000cc triple (see Ford Ecoboost thread !) sports tourer, with full luggage. Set in mind at Honda's superb VFR800. The demo had 250 miles on it so not even run in. Priced at a quid under £9k, this includes Sat Nav and full luggage.

Good things:

The engine, smooth as a chocolate frog - huge range of revs connected to a 6 speed box - with no gear indication...you need it on this bike, got over counting gears 20 years ago. The engine is so benign that it'll do anything anytime between 3rd and 6th gear.

Bad Things

Wrist heavy riding position, eased a lot on dual carriageways but for town work was painful, and I'm relatively flexible. Clutch is the heaviest I've ever had on a bike, right pain in towns - made you not want to change gear..Heavy and graceless chassis especially at low handling speeds. Nowhere near the VFR's excellent balance Rider workload, when you add all the negativity up, is too much. If you're not wondering what gear you're in, you're not looking forward to the next gear change, or wondering about its security at slow speeds.

I got on my 5 year old GS to ride home, lithe, light and perfectly balanced with the best clutch i can imagine. At home in towns or on fast roads it's a hard act to live up to.

Triumph Sprint SE. - MD
Best not buy one then.
 Triumph Sprint SE. - Fullchat
I quite enjoyed my 1050 Sprint ST. Light in comparison to the Yamaha FJR which was a beast. The GS/GSA range are different animals with the 2 cylinder boxer engines and a more sat up riding position. Granted the clutches are feather light in comparison.
 Triumph Sprint SE. - Harleyman
>> I quite enjoyed my 1050 Sprint ST. Light in comparison to the Yamaha FJR which
>> was a beast. The GS/GSA range are different animals with the 2 cylinder boxer engines
>> and a more sat up riding position. Granted the clutches are feather light in comparison.
>>

Never had a modern Triumph but agre with you about the ergonomics of BMW's. I bought an R80RT last year, to replace my XL1200R rubbermount Harley Sportster; well impresssed, wish I'd bought one years ago.
The old 80s are getting very collectable...my old 80GS sits and smiles in the garage...
>> The old 80s are getting very collectable...my old 80GS sits and smiles in the garage...
>>

Hang on to it; I'm sure you would anyway.

The attraction for me is that like my old Harleys, they're a very simple bike to work on and are backed up by a decent independent aftermarket. I bought mine because it was relatively cheap (paid £1900, it has 43K on the clock) and whilst I really fancied an R100RS I saw this as an affordable way to try out the scene without risking any loss if it didn't appeal.

I've found it to be very much a "bike for all seasons" inasmuch as it does everything well, with the obvious exception of green-laning! Has the obligatory Krauser panniers (the better later ones from the K-series) twin Brembo's with cast-iron discs up front, and a decent stainless exhaust. I'm certainly not planning to move it on any time soon, and indeed if a decent R100RS comes along I may yet give it a stablemate.
 Triumph Sprint SE. - Runfer D'Hills
I've never taken my UK bike test ( although my wife would like me to she says ) but I have owned and ridden dozens of bikes in countries where either the licence restrictions were more relaxed, or perhaps more accurately maybe, they didn't really know how to interpret a British licence. Certainly during the five years I was in Brazil I owned and rode my bikes ( Africa Twin was my favourite ) most days and enjoyed riding them both on and off road.

On holidays, I've hired them, enjoyed riding them and indeed have taken them on extended off road excursions. Great fun.

But the common factor in all the above was fairly reliably warm dry weather.

Just a question for the UK domestic motorcyclists, what is the attraction in them in this country?

To be clear, I'm genuinely curious and not being sniffy about it. It just seems to me that our climate isn't all that conducive ( most of the time ) to motorbike ownership.

Sell it to me chaps ! Might have to tick that box one day.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 2 May 16 at 20:22
 Triumph Sprint SE. - Robin O'Reliant
When I was younger nothing short of snow or ice would stop me riding, the right gear and a few good cafes kept the cold at bay. As I got older I became a fair weather only rider, but as you know being a cyclist there are plenty of dry and mild days in even the worst weather years.
Much as Robin says. I enjoyed every one of the 150 miles plus undertaken in rain for a portion of the trip. Perfectly warm and dry. Went along some roads that I'd never been along before. Had a very pleasant afternoon up on the backroads of north east Wales. Went to places I would never have dreamt of going to in a car. I love being on a bike...
The attraction is simple; seeing the countryside, meeting up with like-minded people, not having to suffer the inane chatter of passengers, going places you wouldn't normally go to. I don't mind too much getting wet on the way back, but these days if it's likely to be raining all weekend I don't bother. That's partly my age, and partly because I don't have to prove anything any more, i've been there, done it and got a drawer-full of tee-shirts.

Had a ride around RR's neck of the woods on Saturday, 70 mile trip from Havefordwest, over the Preseli mountains up to Newport, then around the coast via St.Davids, stop for a pint at Newgale and back to the clubhouse. Probably about sixty bikes in all, mine was the oldest bike there by several decades, and certainly the slowest; local knowledge balanced that out though, and I kept up pretty well. It was an absolute hoot but it was a dry day despite being on the cool side. You just don't get that sort of thing in a car, unless it's something ridiculously sporty like a Westfield.

I can't explain it. I was working an afternoon shift yesterday. I was out with the dogs in the morning. The thought of the 40 mile ride to work as I drove home to get ready actually gave me a surge of adrenalin - nothing i ever experience with a car journey. Togging up in riding kit is almost my only OCD. All zips done up - ID card and access fob kept in left hand pocket and zipped (to be got at easily when I roll up to the security barrier). Visor cleaned - helmet secured and off into the melée....Mechanically far more intimate than 99% of all other vehicles (Westfields etc might be the exception). It was such a beautiful evening coming home, I dodged off the A55 and took to the semi urban A roads....pleasurable....wouldn't do that in a car. This wartime poem often pops into my head on days like that..

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Nearest I'll get to flying solo but mentally quoting this makes me feel I am
Had a funny look when I arrived. To access the car-park. I park the bike in neutral on its side stand, engine running, gloves off and stuffed into the offside lifitng handle - get off to swipe the fob to open the barrier, quickly re-mount, loop the ID Card lanyard over the nearside mirror, off the side stand, into gear and ride through trying to beat the barrier....then ride like billy-oh to the dedicated bike spot, ID Card flying in the breeze like a flag !
 Triumph Sprint SE. - Ted

I have always loved that poem. Another one I think of when on the bike is just two lines from Kipling's ' The Rivals '. I printed it out on waterslide transfer and had it on the tank of the BMW.

Down to Gehenna or up to the throne.
He travels the fastest who travels alone.
 Triumph Sprint SE. - Alanovich
>> He travels the fastest who travels alone.

Didn't know that was Kipling, I know it from a Bruce Springsteen song. Evidently the latter 'borrowed' it.

Kipling's 'IF...' adorns my living room wall in an attempt to inspire the children. Not sure they get it. Yet.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 5 May 16 at 12:24
 Triumph Sprint SE. - DP
My instructor used a Sprint ST 955i after running Pans for years. Reckoned it did everything the Pan did in terms of comfort and usability, but was a lot more rewarding and enjoyable to ride.
Well decision made. Went after some BMW dealers and the local Triumph dealer. Looking at F800GS and a Triumph Tiger 800. Some good deals came out in particular from one BMW dealer offering over a grand off. Decided in the end to go for a one day only (decide by the end of the day or else) on a 2016 new shape Tiger 800. Good deal - so bought. The GS will have to go now - so there's a beautiful 2011 Triple Black for sale here with 12000 miles on it and FSH with a warranty until February...
 Triumph Sprint SE. - Runfer D'Hills
Sounds like a plan, as you know, I know diddly about motor bikes, but even I know that's got to be way better than a scooter.

Enjoy !
It is. Got to ride the Beemer to Rhyl tomorrow with work....better take a big lock
Latest Forum Posts