Motoring Discussion > I normally have sympathy for folks but... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 15

I normally have sympathy for folks but... - Bobby
If I was stuck in this traffic jam on the way to my holiday airport I don't think sympathy would have been much in evidence
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/holidaymakers-ditch-cars-taxis-motorway-7880376#IFmoXZZlXg57Qhfg.97
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - diddy1234
what gives one person the right to inconvenience so many people ?
Luckily he didn't jump so good news.

It's like those selfish people that do a one under on the London underground.
So many people now have to change their plans because of one selfish person.
Some unlucky chap has to clean up all of that mess
who has that right ?
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Mon 2 May 16 at 18:25
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - No FM2R
Nobody. And if it was an intentional and deliberate act I would have no sympathy. Ditto if it was some kind of publicity stunt then they should be pushed off the bridge if that will get traffic moving.

But for someone to really want to end their life, then however inconvenient the delay is, I do feel sympathy for that person. What a terrible emotional place to be.

Ill, suffering and lost, rather than selfish.
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - legacylad
You need to be in a very dark place to do something like that. Deeply depressed, mentally ill?
If it was me caught up in the traffic, likely to miss my flight I would be fuming, but then on reflection just be glad it wasn't me in that state of mind.
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - diddy1234
Care in the community has a lot to answer for
Yes, it does.
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - CGNorwich
I doubt that any health care professional caring for the mentally ill would advocate a return to the grim days of mental asylums and institutionalised patients.

Ther is nothing wrong with the concept of car in th community. Where the problem lies is, as in so many things, resource. Mental health care is till very much the Cinderella of the NHS. The lack of support for the mentally ill and their families is a national disgrace. Unfortunately compared with other illnesses there seems to be very little public support for a massive increase in spending in this area.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 2 May 16 at 22:46
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - Dutchie
People are only sympathetic if one of their nearest and dearest have mental health problems.

Understaffing was and is the problem with care in the community.My wife used to look after people with learning difficulties in a caring home.

I normally have sympathy for folks but... - Ted

That sign for Dunham Massey Hall is, I would say, about 5 miles from the airport. They hope to walk there to catch flights ??

They're not even at the A556 gate yet !
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - Bill Payer
>> They're not even at the A556 gate yet !
>>

The hold up was the other way I think - out of Manchester.
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - Ted
>> The hold up was the other way I think - out of Manchester.
>>

Doesn't that show the people on the hard shoulder walking towards Chester then ?
Last edited by: Ted on Tue 3 May 16 at 10:37
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - Fursty Ferret
>> what gives one person the right to inconvenience so many people ?
>> Luckily he didn't jump so good news.
>>
>> It's like those selfish people that do a one under on the London underground.
>> So many people now have to change their plans because of one selfish person.
>> Some unlucky chap has to clean up all of that mess
>> who has that right ?
>>

You perceive this as selfish but someone who is in so much despair as to consider ending their life doesn't see it that way. They believe they have no one to turn to and that they'll be doing the world a favour by committing suicide. It's tragic, not selfish.

Although people have criticised care in the community etc, the reality is that an enormous number of people suffer from depression and keep quiet about it because of the stigma of mental health issues. Politicians still talk about "lunatics in the asylum".

I think Dutchie was absolutely spot on with his comment that you don't appreciate or understand depression and suicidal thoughts until it happens to someone close to you.
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - Bobby
I fully understand the issue of mental health, I was just saying if I was missing a plane as a result then I would probably lose my sympathy in this case.

Here's a question, possibly no answer to it, but I wonder how many people do jump from bridges after sitting for a while like this? I would imagine that wait is not going to make you any more determined to do it than you were when you first sat down?

I know rationale etc goes out the window but what was the film that they just put the big inflatable down and pushed them off, was it a Mel Gibson one? Might have been the answer in this case!
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - sooty123
> Here's a question, possibly no answer to it, but I wonder how many people do
>> jump from bridges after sitting for a while like this? I would imagine that wait
>> is not going to make you any more determined to do it than you were
>> when you first sat down?

from family who used to work on the motorway section of the police, people threatening to jump and actually doing were surprisingly common.
>>was it a Mel Gibson one?

Lethal Weapon, wasn't it?
 I normally have sympathy for folks but... - legacylad
Bravesplat?
Latest Forum Posts