Motoring Discussion > Sussex fuzz show merciful side Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 18

Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Armel Coussine
I'm not a reckless or dangerous driver but I do consistently exceed speed limits, which I find annoying, although not by a wide margin as a rule.

Some time ago I was flashed late at night passing through one of our small towns. I was doing a safe 35 or so and there was no other traffic. Later I received a request for the driver's identity, and duly identified myself.

Today I got a letter that when opened said it was from Sussex Police Operation Crackdown. OO-er, I thought. But the letter said, when deciphered, that I wasn't going to be prosecuted since I had admitted the offence of doing 37mph. It didn't say 'Mind how you go' in so many words but that was the burden of its message.

Old Bill aren't always all bad are they? They're in my good books today.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Dog
Are you well in with the local 'show a leg' brigade Sire?

Just asking.

:}
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Ian (Cape Town)
"I have a second-hand apron..."
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Bill Payer
>> Later I received a request for the driver's identity, and duly identified myself.
>>
>>.. I wasn't going to be prosecuted since I had admitted the offence of doing 37mph.

At what point did you admit the offence?

I'm surprised you didn't get offered a Speed Awareness Course though - in most areas that's standard practice for 35 to 42MPH inclusive.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> I'm surprised you didn't get offered a Speed Awareness Course though - in most areas
>> that's standard practice for 35 to 42MPH inclusive.
>>

They probably read some of his posts on here and thought better of it ;-)
>> At what point did you admit the offence?

I didn't have to. I was clocked, and when asked said I had been the driver. That counted as an admission.

I've already done a speed awareness course. As I am very speed-aware it was frightfully boring, a wasted day really.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - legacylad
Just tell em that when you are bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th or 6th you are too focused on the road ahead, and the three mirrors, to take much notice of the speedo
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Alanovich
>> I've already done a speed awareness course. As I am very speed-aware it was frightfully
>> boring, a wasted day really.
>>

Had you approached it with an open mind, receptive attitude and taken any of it on board and subsequently adjusted your behaviour, perhaps it would have been a more productive day then getting up for the lunchtime news and getting smashed on vodka and orange, as perhaps you wouldn't have received the lenient missive you have received this week.

I expect you can think yourself doubly lucky that you weren't breathalysed.

You're not getting any younger, your faculties are waning (same goes for all of us), and you're an unapologetic speeder and drink driver.

It really should be your family telling you all this, not some half wit, loudmouth stranger on the internet like me.

Will you change your behaviours? About as much chance as Manatee voting "Remain", I reckon.

:-)
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Boxsterboy
>> I'm not a reckless or dangerous driver but I do consistently exceed speed limits, which
>> I find annoying, although not by a wide margin as a rule.
>>

Well the speed awareness course really worked then, didn't it? Not.

You say you're not reckless or dangerous, but the admission that you consistently speed would suggest otherwise! Sorry, AC, but you're sounding a bit like a know-it-all.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - legacylad
AC does say not by a wide margin...I think 35 in a 30, 25 in a 20 is par for the course round my part of the world. Obviously reduce speed accordingly when schools are letting out or heavy traffic. Some very quiet country roads around me have 40 limits and the wagons regularly are up my exhaust when I'm doing an indicated 50. Literally twenty feet behind me. That I do consider dangerous. Especially fully loaded quarry wagons who seem to be on a mission.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Enderman
>>"fully loaded quarry wagons who seem to be on a mission."

That makes me think of the film "Hell Drivers"

;-))
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - jc2
I can remember a Met. car overtaking me,slowing me to 40 and then accelerating away.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - smokie
Yep, had the same with Thames Valley on the M4 (70 not 40 though!)
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Runfer D'Hills
I've twice had only a finger wagging from police cars when I was ahem, pressing on. Once on the M25 and once on a French motorway. Not even stopped on either occasion despite neither instance being not entirely marginal.

I can only assume that in both cases they had something rather a lot more pressing to attend to as they both sped off at warp speed after slowing me down.

Luck of the draw I guess.

I'm much calmer these days. Wafting purposefully is about my limit now.

;-)
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Mike H
>> AC does say not by a wide margin...I think 35 in a 30, 25 in
>> a 20 is par for the course round my part of the world. Obviously reduce
>> speed accordingly when schools are letting out or heavy traffic.

That's the point really. It must have been discussed countless times here, but even 20mph can be too fast for safety in a 30mph zone, but in the middle of the night, 45mph can be danger-free in an out of town 30mph limited area. Brings to mind the other recent thread about traffic lights, many of them aren't needed out of peak times.
>> you're sounding a bit like a know-it-all.

I would have to be a bit thick not to know a few things by my age, Bb, but I don't understand why you and your five supporters think I sound like a know-all. I don't pretend to know things I don't know.

I didn't really need the speed awareness course, but I quite liked the instructors and most of the other miscreants. It wasn't an unpleasant afternoon, just an unnecessary one. Dunno how else to put it.

It probably did improve my driving a bit, or make it slightly more restrained.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Cliff Pope

>> >>
>>
>> Well the speed awareness course really worked then, didn't it?

Yes, he is aware of his speed :)
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - WillDeBeest
BB's comment is a little harshly expressed, but it's legitimate and he made it out in the open. The anonymous thumbing of personal criticism of another member is ugly, though; say it under your own byline and keep your thumb in your pocket.
 Sussex fuzz show merciful side - Bromptonaut
>> say it under your own byline and keep your thumb in your pocket.

+1 (With thumb in pocket -!!)
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 5 May 16 at 07:53
Latest Forum Posts