Motoring Discussion > Land Rover - Discount sir? I don't think so... Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 4

Land Rover - Discount sir? I don't think so... - legacylad
As mentioned previously, my pal with the '06 230k mile X5 fancies a new LR Discovery Sport. Discussed it tonight with him... He has discounted another X5, too large, ugly X3, Q5 posh yummy mummy school run, and really fancies the LR product.
Two main dealers have offered zilch discount on a new one and zilch discount on the options he would like. They did however offer him scrappage on the X5.
Obviously they must be popular
 Land Rover - Discount sir? I don't think so... - Bill Payer
I think there are small discounts available through brokers, but obviously it doesn't make a lot of business sense to discount something that's selling well.

Evoque was the same for a long time, but there are LR deposit contributions offered now.

Someone coming from an X5 and looking at Q5 etc might find the Discovery Sport feels a bit like a few too many corners have been cut on the interior.
 Land Rover - Discount sir? I don't think so... - No FM2R
>>Obviously they must be popular

It is not so much that, it is the buying behaviour of your fellow customers.

There are cars which are regarded as aspirational; Boxsters, Discos Sports, and others. Typically people who buy these entry level cars are a bit nervous, a bit over excited and a bit in awe.

Consequently they tend not to ask for discounts. And even where they do, the salesman is much more resistant.

Discounts, whilst possible, have much less impact per percent then they do in non EL aspirational cars. Someone may well walk away from a 718 if the deal isn't right. Usually they do not walk away from a Boxster deal.

So, avoid fashionable and entry level aspirational stuff. Not because it is in demand, but because the behaviour of the competing customer is so different.
 Land Rover - Discount sir? I don't think so... - Runfer D'Hills
Those Ford Edge thingies Tyred(etc) mentioned seem worth checking out if he wants a Tonka truck?
 Land Rover - Discount sir? I don't think so... - legacylad
I'd never heard of the Ford Edge until mentioned on here. Consequently I have emailed my friend and HJ gives it 5/5 on his review.
My pal lives in a small hamlet off a minor road which is prone to flooding, so a wading capability is very useful if you want to get home on occasion... His wife runs a Kia Sportage for just such eventualities.
Latest Forum Posts