Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 308 - Tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 8

Peugeot 308 - Tyres - Skip
Car came with Continental Tyres from new and at around 20,000 the fronts were replaced as they were (evenly) worn down to just over 2mm. At 38,000 the fronts and rears have just over 3mm left so are not far off needing changing. I am not one for scrimping on maintenance but if I go for a mid range tyre like a Khumo or a Hancock which are about £30 each cheaper than a premium brand am I likely to end up regretting it ? The noise, wet performance and fuel ratings for the mids on Black Circles are no worse (or better) than for the Contis but I don't know how these translate into real life. Before this car I haven't bought tyres for years as I normally only keep cars for 2 - 3 years and the original tyres have had plenty of tread left when they have been traded in.
 Peugeot 308 - Tyres - spamcan61
I always had Kumhos on the Astra over the 60000 miles I ran it, got about 16k out of the fronts and 30 odd out of the rears, so not far off your figures.
 Peugeot 308 - Tyres - Old Navy
I have found that tyre brands are like most other branded goods. Premium brand, pay for the badge. Mid range, perfectly acceptable. Cheap, avoid.
 Peugeot 308 - Tyres - Runfer D'Hills
By and large, I tend to put on whatever tyres the car had on as original equipment. Might well be superstition, I wouldn't really know in truth. In all probability they were only put on in the first place because that tyre manufacturer was offering the best deal to the car manufacturer at the time.

However, I once put a set of 4 Singalongamax ( or something sounding a bit like that ) on one of my Mondeos when I was way too skint to run to the Pirellis it had previously had, and it turned a car which had stopped and turned very well into one that didn't.

As soon as I could afford it, I treated it to some decent tyres.

Having said all the above, I'd have thought a mid priced tyre from a brand you've at least heard of would be fine unless you drive around like Jason Plato all the time.

;-)
 Peugeot 308 - Tyres - WillDeBeest
Unless they're extremely negative, like Humph's above, consumer opinions on tyres are mostly meaningless. No-one experiences a new Brand A tyre immediately after a new Brand B tyre on the same car, so the new Brand A seems instantly better - or at least adequate - by comparison with the worn-out Brand B, because it's quieter and doesn't have worn-out shoulders, so it gives better steering feel. I suspect this is why many buyers settle for mid-market brands.

Occasionally you do find a night-and-day difference, though, as I did when I went from Pirelli to Michelin on my S60. Suddenly it no longer snaked and squirmed over HGV ruts and broken Tarmac. The 325 has a similar tendency, and user opinion suggests that Michelin tyres in place of Bridgestone will help with that too.

Peugeot 308 - Tyres - Skip
>> However, I once put a set of 4 Singalongamax ( or something sounding a bit
>> like that ) on one of my Mondeos when I was way too skint to
>> run to the Pirellis it had previously had, and it turned a car which had
>> stopped and turned very well into one that didn't.

I did a similar thing in similar circumstances and put a pair of cheap chinese ditch finders on the front of my BX. Shortly afterwards I noticed a droning noise whic sounded like the diff was on its way out so took it to a garage who after finding nothing wrong swapped the wheels front to back so it had Michelins on the front - no noise

>> unless you drive around like Jason Plato all the time.

Probably more like Jason Donovan these days !!
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 8 May 16 at 16:58
 Peugeot 308 - Tyres - Shiny
I have found Falken Ziex 914 Ecorun to be the best tyres my Audi A8 D3 has ever had and yet they are the second cheapest I have had. They are EU C-B-B rated, I would not go lower than that and may be tempted to get something -A- rated next time. What about the NEXEN and Hankooks we see on new KIAs and Hyundais?
 Peugeot 308 - Tyres - henry k
I had several set of Khumos on my old Mondeo and was pleased with them.
My X type came with original Pirellis.
The x type was designed with Pirellis so how come they were so non Jaguar very noisy.
I was glad to get rid of them and Khumos give me a quiet ride.
Jaguar XF designed with Dunlops so ..........Another good deal?

I now have a couple of Hankooks and am happy with them
On various forums Nexen and Falkens get good reports.
 Peugeot 308 - Tyres - Lygonos
Very happy with the Uniroyal Rainsport 3s I fitted to the Kizashi.

No twitching as they go through standing water at motorway speeds and perfectly good in the dry.

Was about £105 per tyre fitted for 234/45x18, approx. £30 cheaper than the big names.
Latest Forum Posts