Motoring Discussion > Renewal of Photocard Licence Legal Questions
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 22

Renewal of Photocard Licence - Duncan
I need to renew my photocard licence.

I have applied online. I have two questions.

1.Do I have to send the form back by post even though I have applied online?
2. Does the card and the paper bit have to be sent back before I get the new licence?

TIA
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - R.P.
1. No

2. D/K
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Zero
1. yes you need a new signature and photo
2 I havent got my old one, so yes.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - PR
Im not sure you need to send a new photo. My mother recently had hers stolen in Italy, (not sure if it was new type or old type), but when applying for a new one she was told they get the pic from the passport office!
To renew my license this year I had to send in a new photo. If you request a replacement (lost or stolen) you dont.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - rtj70
I renewed my licence last year and had to send new photos, as did my wife when hers expired.

I seem to recall it may have been possible to allow them to get the passport photo but I'm not sure that could always work anyway. My passport also expired last early 2010 so the photo on that was not that recent either.
On the DVLA site it says you can do it by post or in some post offices.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

No mention of online. If this is via the government portal then I suspect you've effectively completed the form and will be sent the form to sign and attach the photos and the old licence.

I never knew some post offices can take your photo and send it to the DVLA for you though. But that was new in May 2010.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Ted

Be careful if you have a motorcycle licence. Some stories in the motorbike press about new licences coming back without the bike bit on it.

I need to renew mine soon...3 yr medical, I'm just going to keep the old one and say I can't find it. At least, it's worth scanning a copy of it and keeping it on the bike.

Ted
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - R.P.
They capture you photo from your passport if you do it online.
they didnt with mine, and it was a recent biometric passport.
Maybe they can only use a photo from a passport if very recent. It has to last ten years on the driving licence after all. If they used one that's nine years old already then why change the photo on the driving licence at all.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - WillDeBeest
Got my first photo licence a few weeks ago when I changed my address. Did the whole thing online - photo captured from 2005-vintage passport. New licence arrived in two days with a reminder to cut up the old one and send it back. Reply-paid envelope for that would have been nice, but evidently not in Cameron's Britain - we're all in this together after all.
};---)

Incidentally, there's nothing so streamlined for updating the address on a V5C for the car. That requires filling in the relevant section in the document, then sending it to DVLA for a replacement. Do be sure to use one of Royal Mail's premium No Stealing services for that.
[No smiley here - I think it's an outrage that Royal Mail charges us extra because a few of its own employees will otherwise help themselves.]
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Dulwich Estate
I've still got my pink paper one which is a bit ragged around the edges - there is no need to renew it except when I'm 70.

It's a con having to pay for renewals, but one day I'll have to get a photocard licence as I already get strange looks from young hire car receptionists who have never seen one of the old ones before.

PS During a clear out this week-end I found I still two little red licence books - circa 1970. I'm not slinging those.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Harleyman
>>
>> Be careful if you have a motorcycle licence. Some stories in the motorbike press about
>> new licences coming back without the bike bit on it.
>>
> At least, it's worth scanning a copy of
>> it and keeping it on the bike.
>>
>> Ted
>>

ditto for vocational licences (HGV, PSV)

Make sure you have at least a colour scan.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - legacylad
My photocard licence expired end of July.
Form D798U sent me by the DVLA states that it is the PHOTO that expires.
I duly sent a new photo, returning both my green paper licence, 'old' photo licence and £20 fee. I received my new D740 Counterpart Driving Licence (D740) and new photo licence in the post a few days ago...the service was excellent taking only 9 days. I consider £20 for 10 years good value.

I fail to understand how you can apply online when you have to send in a recent photo of self.

Hope this helps.

Apologies. Just read Puguglys reply as to how they get your photo...but I thought it had to be up to date, and my passport photo is anything but!
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 21:09
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Bellboy
I consider £20 for 10 years good value.
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>..thats 4 pence every week for ten years
my paper licence cost me zilch unless you count the cost of a stamp :-)
I am still surprised they will accept an old passport licence for something that is going to last a further 10 years. But sometimes things don't follow logic.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Ted

I have to endure a field vision test every three years to get my ticket back. It's free in my case.
The test is 'cos I've had laser treatment to cure retinal bleeding, but not for about 7 years now. Anyone else had this test ? To my mind, and others I know, it's totally irrelevent to driving....sitting at a screen trying to see the tiniest pinpoints of light flash briefly against a white background. You're penalised for every one you don't see and for those you think you see that weren't there. Why don't they just use an accredited optician who could take you to the door of the surgery and ask you what you can see...a big red bus, traffic lights, for instance. You have to have a field of 120 degrees to retain the licence, although you can appeal to the magistrates court.

I did one some months ago whilst having a refraction check and was good enough then.
Should be better now with the cataract out.

Ted
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Duncan
New licence arrived today - Thursday.

DVLA = very efficient, well, on this ocassion anyway.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Pat
I had one of those field of vision tests Ted, for the first time on saturday during a routine eye test.

When did it become part of a normal two year check up?

Apparently I missed some green dots at the top and had to do it again...tut!

Pat
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - CGNorwich
Peripheral vision test is now a regular part of standard eye test I believe. Was included in my test as Specsavers last month. Whilst you may fined it a nuisance it is pretty important for driving to be able to see things at the edge of your vision rather than just straight ahead and this is what the test is about.
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Passports Renewals
NO...don't worry...I did one some months ago whilst having a refraction check and was good enough then.
Should be better now with the cataract out.
Last edited by: Passports Renewals on Thu 13 Jan 11 at 07:29
 Renewal of Photocard Licence - Passports Renewals
We have to renew our Passports , has a member done this using the British consulate in Dussseldorf . I have heard that passports have been returned by Turkish authority who say that you can not send Passports out of Turkey . British consulate web sites states that DHL are the carrier they use to return Passport to Turkey ,any one know the nearest office to Altikum .Any info please ...
Latest Forum Posts