Motoring Discussion > Well, stone me! Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 5

Well, stone me! - Lemma
I haven't posted for such a long time but an event so momentous occurred that I feel I have to share it. I am still suffering a sense of amazement if not bewilderment. I was firstly shocked and then could not believe what I had seen. This was something so stupifyingly incredible that it seems almost impossible to have happened.

So are you sitting down? You might feel that a fortifying glass of Scottish water would be advisable. This could be not just a surprise, but a shock to the vitals. Something so extraordinary that I, somebody who hasn't posted for such a long time, feels motivated to share this news.

Yes, my insurance company gave me a renewal quote lower than last years price, lower even than the Gocompare price from the same company. The Gocompare price from my insurer was actually marginally higher than my renewal price but was itself the second lowest price quoted by that venerable website. Having said that, the Gocompare price difference was only pennies anyway.

For the first time ever I did not cancel the rascally auto-renew. Why can't other companies adopt such a refreshingly straightforward approach?
 Well, stone me! - Harleyman
Ditto for me when I repaced my written-off VW van with a newer Iveco.

Chaucer Direct; been very impressed with them over the last few years.
 Well, stone me! - legacylad
I've returned to the IAM insurers... The policy on the 330 with Performance Direct ( Kinetic) allowed for no refunds after being in force for just under seven months, and they would'nt insure the non performance Focus. Fair enough.
Admin charge to change is £16.50 plus difference in premium and the policy allows me to drive other cars TPFT provided they have fully comp & the owners permission.
 Well, stone me! - Mapmaker
Which company was that, Lemma?

I am with Elephant who are generally pretty sensible on renew. I rang them last month to take a driver off the insurance. That saved £50. I took it off paying by CC (which used to be free) and paid by debit card. That saved £10. And the very nice girl on the other end of the phone 'ran some numbers' for me (as I'd flirted with her and made her laugh and made her day) and knocked another £50 off.

A worthwhile telephone call!
 Well, stone me! - Lemma
Sorry, I should have given more details. It was Hastings, and for herself's 59 reg Yaris insured for both of us. Both clean licences and living in a country area. The premium was around £168.

Just out of interest I also ran my 63reg RAV4 through Gocompare. Last time round it was about £270 but equivalent cover, for end of next month, looks to be about £35 cheaper. I think we are at that age where we are considered old enough to be sensible but not yet geriatric enough for price increases.
 Well, stone me! - Alastairw
For one I'm looking forward to receiving my renewal notice - I'm with Hastings. Is this something to do with crackdown on spurious whiplash claims.
Latest Forum Posts