Motoring Discussion > Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 9

Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Pat
road.cc/content/news/203537-video-if-you-are-cycling-road-then-ill-drive-path

I always knew we thought logically in the Fen!

Pat
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Mapmaker
LOL. A bit of a laugh.

You have to sympathise with the driver. London has been made un-driveable in order to put in these ridiculous cycle superhighways. And then the cyclists use the - narrow - road rather than the psycopath.
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Mapmaker
Given the shed loads of money spent on cyclists to build them their own special roads to keep them safe, it bemuses me why they use the roads.

"Because we can and we're entitled to." Yes. But there are nice safe segregated areas, so why squeeze into the roads which are now narrower than they were before the path was built.

Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Robin O'Reliant
There are cycle paths and there are cycle paths. I'm lucky in that the one near me is well surfaced and sufficiently wide, even for my trike. But many I've seen, particularly in London are just a joke.

However, the daftest thing I've ever seen was last year when I was bowling along the excellent path beside the A40 approaching Fishguard. It was 1pm and the ferry traffic was heavy in both directions with plenty of HGVs, many foreign. Riding along the main single carriageway in the midst of it all was a woman with a small child strapped to the seat on the back.

Daft bint.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Mon 5 Sep 16 at 19:40
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Boxsterboy
>> Given the shed loads of money spent on cyclists to build them their own special
>> roads to keep them safe,
>>

According to figures I saw recently, the money spent on cycling infrastructure/facilities amounts to 0.04% of the total transport budget. Hardly shed-loads! Campaigners (like Sir Chris Hoy) are trying to get this increased to 5%.
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Pat
>> According to figures I saw recently, the money spent on cycling infrastructure/facilities amounts to 0.04%
>> of the total transport budget. Hardly shed-loads! Campaigners (like Sir Chris Hoy) are trying to
>> get this increased to 5%.
>>

I agree it isn't a big percentage and probably should be increased.

However we need to it made compulsory for cyclists to use cycle lanes where they are present, and prosecution for not doing so.

Pat
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Dog
He is basically an A H. Lots of them about these days, and their numbers appear to be increasing.

I blame the EU (and Tebbit)
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Bobby
This is very interesting for me as I went on a long cycle yesterday that took in all sorts of roads and cycle paths.

Down country roads with blind bends and surfaces that had crumbled away - Very risky and always exposed to a Sunday driver out to blow the cobwebs off.
Town Centre roads
Roads with dedicated cycle lanes at the side - For as long as these exist they are ideal. But where it merges back with road or constantly disappears to accomodate bus stops etc then they are risky.
Roads with dedicated cycle paths marked on the pavement - Fine apart from having to slow down for every junction, driveway, access road.
Cycle paths that cut across country - good in principle but yesterdays incorporated horse walkers, broken tarmac where tree roots had pushed up, and various sections which incorporated beach areas with kids, dogs and adults running about. Also look out for the dogs that you don't realise are on an extendable lead.

Without doubt, for a day like yesterday where I was wanting to get the miles under my belt, the straightforward cycling on the road is my preferred option. I know what i am dealing with, I am just treating the road the same way as I would when driving my car ie obey signs, give room, cycle safely and always be wary of those around you.

Interestingly I cycled over the old Eaglesham Moor Rd (for those of you who may know it). This is now lined out in such a way that there is a cycle lane both sides of the road and only one lane in the middle for both sets of traffic with the idea that the cycle lanes are lined in such a way that there are "passing places" every so often. OK the road wasnt busy but any cars that I did see meeting, simply moved into the adjacent cycle lane to facilitate the pass.
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - Bobby
And then I came home to hear about this
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37279812

This could be any of us cyclists. Always going to come off second best against a lorry.
 Cylists and the new Fenland Highway Code - VxFan
Video of the undertaking motorist is now available on the BBC news site.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-37288210
Latest Forum Posts