Motoring Discussion > Stolen Paramedic's Car. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

Stolen Paramedic's Car. - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-10881872

A nasty (but avoidable) incident - Why an unmarked ambulance car ? Or is it an undercover paramedic ?
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Westpig
It's probably not the paramedic's car, but owned by an organisation and there are many. There used to be a HEMS doctor (Helicopter Emergency Medical Service) who'd turn up to bad accidents in an unmarked Volvo estate...(had to drive it to the hospital once when he accompanied the ambulance). Never did work out who called him, presumably the London Ambulance Service, it matters not, his appearance was most welcome.
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - kb
WP....I think you'll find this was the fella..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygehSufwbVs

He was active when I was working in the same area and, as you say, there was much gratitude and reassurance when you saw him turn up. He was a working GP at the same time as attending incidents......don't know how his queue of patients reacted when they saw his, heavily laden, Volvo estate disappearing off the drive with the green light on. Guess they just had to live with the bunion a bit longer!
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - henry k
Is the youtube link correct ?
( or is there a problem as this is the second time this evening a youtube link has not supplied the expected results)
Oooops..........I was watching Manfred Mann in between looking for the link. (Good job is was only MM I was looking at!!!)

Give me a moment and I'll try again.

Thanks for the prompt advice.
This one looks more like the article about Doctor Winch. He was the driving force behind BASICS...rather then the, later, HEMS.

www.basics.org.uk/about_us/imc_greats/winch_bio

Thanks again for pointing that out.
Last edited by: kb on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 00:30
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Westpig
Cheers kb, I think you are probably right, 'Basics' seems more likely than 'Hems'. Funny how the old memory fades.
I was sure I copied and pasted the right link the fist time - and when I repeated it following your advice, it provided the wrong one again. I only got it right by cutting and pasting, rather than copying, from the address bar.

I say again....phewww, glad it was only Manfred Mann.

Motoring link...on the Nightingales and Bombers album, from the 70's, there's a track featured on a motoring programme, I'm sure. but can't put my finger on it as yet. I have it on cassette but haven't now got a cassette player.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7wk7n0i1EM&feature=fvw

Manfred Mann's Spirits in the Night from Nightingales and Bombers. Used in an early Top Gear programme during a feature by Jeremy Clarkson....anyone remember what the piece might have been? I can't!
Last edited by: kb on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 00:58
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - midlifecrisis
RS4- the car of choice at the moment unfortunately. (Along with any other Audi starting with an 'S')
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Runfer D'Hills
I was in Liverpool today. Waiting at lights I heard a motorbike in a hurry. Glancing in my mirror I saw a young guy on a trailie type thing weaving through the queue at high speed. No helmet and when he passed me no numberplate either. Shortly afterwards an unmarked plod with blues on comes howling after him. Biker boy deliberately stopped at the end of a bollarded footpath, turned and flashed a grin and a two fingered salute at the police car and shot off up the path into a housing estate.

Maybe it was something of a piece of street theatre inspired by the recent "City of Culture" thing...... Or maybe not.
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - jc2
There was an article in the past saying that police are not allowed to chase helmetless motorcylists;they might fall off and hurt themselves(and SUE the police).
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Bill Payer
Unless it was on demo there's no way any organisation other than possibly the Police would have an Audi RS4.
Fast response Paramedics on Merseyside use Skoda Estates.
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - CGNorwich

" Fast response Paramedics on Merseyside use Skoda Estates."

They use bikes in Norwich

www.eastamb.nhs.uk/service/accident-emergency/Bike4-JamesBass.jpg/view
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - R.P.
I'm wondering now whether this was reported badly, and that it was actually a doctor in his own car - RS4 seems a mite excessive for an Paramedic's chariot, unless they're cheaper to lease than Focuses of course !
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - henry k
The Audi was recovered with all of its contents soon afterwards, in Oxton Village, without its keys.
It had to be taken off the road for several days, while its locks were changed.

www.liverpoolwired.co.uk/news.php/79968-Paramedic-hit-by-own-stolen-car-in-Birkenhead
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Alastairw
I will check with mum. She lives in Oxton.
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Old Navy
Our paramedics (in Fife) use Focus 2.0 tdci estates, and the 24 hour doctors use Nissan X-Trails with a driver.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 18:07
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Dieselboy
"Unless it was on demo there's no way any organisation other than possibly the Police would have an Audi RS4.
Fast response Paramedics on Merseyside use Skoda Estates. "

And Volvo estates and Mondeo estates, both marked.

I have also seen the unmarked RS4. It's an Officer's car so is not a normal run of the mill RRV.
 Stolen Paramedic's Car. - Bill Payer
>> I have also seen the unmarked RS4. It's an Officer's car so is not a
>> normal run of the mill RRV.
>>
Actually, I remember there being some comments about an incident at the end of the M62 when a "Paramedic" turned up in an unmarked X5 and the explantion was that it was an Officer's own car.
Latest Forum Posts