Motoring Discussion > What's the future for 'classic' cars? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Sock Replies: 9

What's the future for 'classic' cars? - Old Sock
Just musing over what is likely to happen to the notion of 'classic' cars in the not-too-distant future.

Will it still be possible to drive, say, a Rover P5B on public roads in 50 years' time?

Will any of today's run-of-the-mill cars be viewed with any affection by then?

Have we already had our classics 'golden era'?

What's the future for 'classic' cars? - Bellboy
go to any classic show of cars or trucks and you see new blood but theres not a lot of it about so personally i think that classic cars or old bangers which a lot of them are will not be seen on the roads in the not too distant future
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - Stuu
Dependant largely on whether or not legislation takes them off the road. There will always be people on nostalia trips.
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - Mike Hannon
I expect most old cars to be legislated off the road in the medium to long term.
Maybe there'll just be a gigantic sort of London-Brighton run open to all old vehicles as a once-a-year outing.
I'll just keep mine to look at, and listen to occasionally when I can afford some fuel, I hope.
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - L'escargot
I wouldn't know a "classic" car if I saw on. To me, cars are either old-fashioned or modern.
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - hobby
Just like people, then... ;-)
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - corax
>> I wouldn't know a "classic" car if I saw on. To me, cars are either
>> old-fashioned or modern.

Heres a classic L'escargot

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtfkETcw-XY&feature=related

He increased his pace, and as the car devoured the street and leapt forth on the high road through the open country, he was only conscious that he was Toad once more, Toad at his best and highest, Toad the terror, the traffic-queller, the Lord of the lone trail, before whom all must give way or be smitten into nothingness and everlasting night. He chanted as he flew, and the car responded with sonorous drone; the miles were eaten up under him as he sped he knew not whither, fulfilling his instincts, living his hour, reckless of what might come to him...
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - -
>> I expect most old cars to be legislated off the road in the medium to
>> long term.

Me too, the miserable crew of politically correct mice that now lead us you could hardly imagine owning let alone appreciating anything from a time before them, they can't rewrite or apologise for history quickly enough so something that might remind us of better days is best denied.

And if it's not going to benefit them it ain't going to happen.
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - Mike Hannon
>I wouldn't know a "classic" car if I saw on. To me, cars are either old-fashioned or modern. <

Very interesting, Mr Snail. But surely you must appreciate 'classic' - ie timeless perhaps - elegance when you see it?
 What's the future for 'classic' cars? - L'escargot
Car designs change all the time. What I want is a modern design, with all the technological advances that go with it. I've no doubt that some people would call the 1936 precursor to the Citroën Light 15 that I ownd in 1956 a classic. However, what satisfied me in 1956 I now find totally abhorrent. No way Pedro!
Latest Forum Posts