Motoring Discussion > New Car Threads Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 13

New Car Threads - Mapmaker
Is it just me, or are there more "I want to drop a load of money on a new car" threads in the last month than in the last five years?

If so, what does this tell us about the economy. Post 2007 - and so post the HJ split, I thought this place no longer had any petrol heads. Things are, perhaps, looking rather up.
 New Car Threads - Falkirk Bairn
New car? depends on your "genuine need"(to get to work?/ bigger family...), income (If you have the income & nothing else a pressing need) , a treat (Man maths)....

Neighbour asked how much my new car was in 2012 - I replied it did not cost ME anything!
He thought my boys had bought it!

I said it was £10K less for each of my 3 sons to inherit or less in the "care home fund" that the Government would plunder.
>> New car? depends on your "genuine need"(to get to work?/ bigger family...), income (If you
>> have the income & nothing else a pressing need) , a treat (Man maths)....

There is never a "genuine need" for a brand-new car...

Obviously sometimes the maths makes it a better deal than a 2-year-old car. But that doesn't make it a *need* for a brand-new car.
 New Car Threads - CGNorwich
I think there are a lot of people with savings in the bank that are seeing their money declining in purchasing power and are thinking "I might as well spend it, I will buy that car I always wanted" This is of course exactly the governments policy.

New Car Threads - Cliff Pope
>> "I might as well spend
>> it, I will buy that car I always wanted"

I might do that for a dream classic car, but never on something that's going to be nearly worthless in 10 years time.

Anyway, it can't be the car you've "always wanted" because 5 years ago it didn't exist, and in 5 years time it will be out of fashion and you'll be told to want something else.
 New Car Threads - CGNorwich
Yes but there's a good chance I will be dead in ten years time so resale value not a major concern. There comes a time when worrying about the long term seems a little pointless. Similarly not much poin in worrying about fashion.
 New Car Threads - sooty123
>> Is it just me, or are there more "I want to drop a load of
>> money on a new car" threads in the last month than in the last five
>> years?

I think it's hard to judge, this site is so small even a couple of extra new car threads can make it seem like a lot more.
 New Car Threads - sherlock47
In June I went out with the wife to buy some SS saucepans from JL. There were none in stock, so on the return journey I dropped in to the local UK Citroen dealer, just for a wander round. Came away with a new C3 Picasso diesel. Very nearly matched the DtheD price of 38% of list - paid for with a CC! with no extra charge.

Why leave the money in the bank.

Now I must rationalise the fleet, but they all have a purpose.

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 27 Sep 16 at 10:33
 New Car Threads - madf
I have a friend who does window filming and small building works. Sole trader and a dog. He makes a steady income - works hard and is quite/very competent.

He tells me his order book is booming and is the best for 10 years.. and he is working Sundays... Just a straw I know but ...
 New Car Threads - legacylad
I had a pot of money put aside to buy a 3/5 yo 3 series Touring. It included the £5k I got fir my 12yo 330, so came to almost £20k on a good day. A small fortune to spend on a lump of depreciating metal, but I really enjoy driving so convinced myself it was ok.
Fast forward 18 months, two big trips to the States last year, including an expensive 16 day rafting trip down the GC, plus several weeks touring AZ, NV, UT & CA. Several weeks in Spain over the winter months, 5 overseas hols and counting since June, a forthcoming ski hol & back to Spain in winter '17 means my dreams of a 'new' car lay in tatters.
The remaining balance has been invested in 3 very speculative equities in my HL ISA
s*** or bust... Way to go LL!!
 New Car Threads - Stuartli
We're only here once. We can't take it with us. There's no point in saving up as interest rates are an insult, so best to spend on something you need and obtain it for the best possible price.

You'll have the pleasure of using whatever you've bought and not just left a large sum of money to those who follow you for no other reason than being hesitant about spending what you've gainfully earned.

Some people term it STKI (Spending The Kids Inheritance!!)

>> Some people term it STKI (Spending The Kids Inheritance!!)

To SKI, I thought. Spending the Kids Inheritance. Thus becoming Skiing.

New Car Threads - Cliff Pope
>> to buy some SS saucepans
>>

Nazi memorabilia? :)

(Motoring link - they changed the name of SS cars to Jaguar because of unfortunate associations)
 New Car Threads - devonite
>>Is it just me, or are there more "I want to drop a load of money on a new car" threads in the last month than in the last five years?

See, Brexit is already having positive effects! (just thought I'd "stir the pot" ;-))) )
Latest Forum Posts