Motoring Discussion > Car seizures by the police Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 7

Car seizures by the police - John Boy
Some statistics:
tinyurl.com/jlxtgbr
 Car seizures by the police - smokie
There is more info but the gist is

"Nearly 4,000 luxury cars have been seized by police in England and Wales so far this year.

"Six Bentleys, 11 Ferraris and six Lamborghinis are among the 3,700 luxury cars to have been seized in 2016 due to their drivers not having insurance or a valid licence.

"Forces have raised more than £1.4 million from the sales of these cars, with the highest resale price of a single car achieved by the Metropolitan Police at £22,100."

I didn't realise they flogged those not collected and kept the proceeds.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 30 Sep 16 at 15:10
>> ... and kept the proceeds.

The article doesn't actually say that, so is that specific information gathered elsewhere?
 Car seizures by the police - legacylad
Plenty seized in Bradford during the ongoing Operation Steerside
That amount is probably the total value of them... Most of them are leased vehicles with no insurance ( being driven at speed by a friend of a friend of a friend) so they will be returned to the lease company I think??
 Car seizures by the police - smokie
No, it doesn't, I made an assumption...
This link is to a newspaper report (with photos, but not particularly up to date) on Operation Steerside:
tinyurl.com/gsyv3by
I think it's important that we see reports like this, because it's all too easy to assume that the police are doing nothing about insurance and license issues. Given that every seized vehicle has to be taken away on a transporter, these operations must cost a small fortune.
Last edited by: John Boy on Fri 30 Sep 16 at 17:19
 Car seizures by the police - legacylad
Ive just read the article JB. The Focus & A3 mentioned are probably the same two I mentioned on here previously... I was pootling along at 80 on the dual carriageway when they overlook me at 140+. I contacted the police but without reg plates they could do nothing.
Another nutter killed in Bradford 48 hours ago. Early hours decided to wrap the car around some street furniture at high speed. Fortunately no innocents involved.
Darwinism strikes again
Slightly more information on car seizures given here, including where to move to to lessen your chances of being hit by an uninsured car: tinyurl.com/hwqu6qz
Latest Forum Posts