Motoring Discussion > Jaguar XE repair. £1500 just for heavy braking. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 20

Jaguar XE repair. £1500 just for heavy braking. - henry k
Letter in the Wail
www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20161020/282793535938417

Ouch!! Not insured for that damage.

Jaguar XE repair. £1500 just for heavy braking - madf
man with expensive car damages it and complains repair is expensive...
 Jaguar XE repair. �£1500 just for heavy br - Manatee
I wonder what triggered the deployable bonnet? Shirley not just the braking? Radar?
 Jaguar XE repair. ���£1500 just f - bathtub tom
There was a Japanese car (Nissan?) whose owners were disabling this system because of the cost of repairs when it went off unnecessarily.
 Jaguar XE repair. Ã���Ã�ï¿ - zippy
Surely if it went off without being needed then this is a design fault and should be repaired?
 Jaguar XE repair. ����¯ - Mapmaker
Pay extra to protect pedestrians?
 Jaguar XE repair. ����¯ - Old Navy
>> Pay extra to protect pedestrians?
>>

Not Mercedes.

uk.askmen.com/news/cars/mercedes-benz-self-driving-cars-will-kill-pedestrians-before-its-passengers.html
 Jaguar XE repair. - rtj70
If it is true that a Jaguar XE will pop-up the pedestrian safe bonnet under very hard braking then that is a design flaw surely.

Not that many/any driving schools would use a Jaguar XE but if pop-up bonnets on other cars were to be implemented.... could turn out costly for emergency stops for learner drivers! And you'd think a pop-up bonnet on some smaller cars will happen in future because of safety enhancements. On smaller cars there likely to be less distance between bonnet and the engine (i.e. the hard bits).
When a Jaguar XE is available with LED headlights (not an option yet) and the owner is involved in a frontal impact.... How many thousand will that be to repair?

The £1500 is for repair of hinges. Factor in a bonnet (story suggests £4000!), bump, radiator, lights, etc. and this is going to be costly.

I think the story isn't 100% accurate otherwise Jaguar is having a laugh. Literally at our expense.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 20 Oct 16 at 18:08
 Jaguar XE repair. - Manatee
It might make sense if the deployable bonnet is activated by some sort of pedestrian proximity detection - radar for example. The car may well have the hardware already if it has smart cruise control.

If the deer only leapt out of the way with an inch (2.54cm) to spare, as the story suggests, then perhaps the bonnet performed to its design parameters.
You're right and it might have done as designed. But do you want that on your car?

Fingers crossed not hit anyone or any animal in all my driving. A dear did jump in front in the lakes and I could slow a bit to let it get away. A squirrel last week was okay locally (30mph limit) and a rabbit on the M50 a few years ago I hope got away - no way of stopping but no 'evidence' on my car on the M5 when I stopped at the services.
 Jaguar XE repair. - Manatee
>> You're right and it might have done as designed. But do you want that on
>> your car?

No, ideally. Too many things on cars already that write them off if they go wrong.

>>
>> Fingers crossed not hit anyone or any animal in all my driving. A dear did
>> jump in front in the lakes

Not and old dear, happily.

I did hit a fox that shot across the road. I looked in the mirror and saw it spinning, whirling really, behind the car. By the time I stopped it had come to rest, got up and run off although it must have been terribly injured. It did quite a lot of damage to the Galaxy I was driving, including smashing the air con. Deer are something else. A friend hit a deer with a Polo and wrote them both off.
 Jaguar XE repair. - sooty123
Fingers crossed not hit anyone or any animal in all my driving. A dear
>> did
>> >> jump in front in the lakes

In the last couple of years I've hit; a deer, a badger, a rabbit, a fair few pigeons, at least one pheasant and I think a partridge. The first two caused a fair bit of damage, I needed recovering, the badger nearly wrote the car off, north of a £1k to repair. The deer caused a fair bit of damage as well, both met their maker. All the others were fairly minor stuff.
 Jaguar XE repair. - MD
You must go on safari more often young man O:-)
 Jaguar XE repair. - diddy1234
My misses seems to have a hunger for sea gulls.
I had to fish the feathers out of the headlight / bumper section. really disgusting
 Jaguar XE repair. - movilogo
I agree that one can't claim on insurance here because it is a mechanical/electrical fault and not an accident.

However, it is surely a design fault and Jaguar should have fixed it under warranty.

What is worrying that same driver under same situation again might decide to hit the deer in order to avoid another £1500 hit.

Jaguar XE repair. - CGNorwich
It isn't a design fault. It did exactly what it was supposed to do and actually hitting the deer would have had the same effect
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 21 Oct 16 at 11:49
 Jaguar XE repair. - CGNorwich
some info.
www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/vehicles/pedestrian-protection/pop-up-bonnets/
 Jaguar XE repair. - henry k
>> some info.
>> www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/vehicles/pedestrian-protection/pop-up-bonnets/
>>
I have contacted them to update their page as the Xe is now in production with a pop up bonnet.
 Jaguar XE repair. - movilogo
Some more incidents of similar type

www.jaginfo.org/archive/index.php/t-8207.html

and already well known problem reported here.

www.whatcar.com/news/jaguar-xf-pedestrian-airbag-goes-off-early/

Last edited by: movilogo on Fri 21 Oct 16 at 12:13
 Jaguar XE repair. - Shiny
If they hit the deer, then I would say it operated as it should, if not then I would have an independant inspection to look for any paint scuffs or fir deposits etc.. and if deemed there was no contact, pursue JLR for warranty repairs.
Latest Forum Posts