Motoring Discussion > Any link between clutch and steering? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 14

Any link between clutch and steering? - BobbyG
As some of you may be aware, I have had problems with my Seat Altea. A noise coming from the clutch ended up with a new DMF and steering rack replaced under warranty.

But this made no difference to the noise, and the garage are now talking about stripping down the gearbox if SEAT are prepared to cover it.

However

This noise usually only happens when cold and when I am doing low speed manoeuvres that involve turning the wheel. Noise is like a grind, you feel it up through the clutch pedal, the sort of "feel" that makes you want to get your foot off the pedal as quick as you can - sort of sends a shiver up your leg!

Now I am no mechanic but surely if it only happens when the wheel is turned, then the common denominator is the steering? Is there any link between clutch and steering, power steering. Maybe thinking belts or pulleys or whatever?

Any thoughts, even of a general rather than car - specific would be appreciated.

Any link between clutch and steering? - Zero
Nearly anything that happens in the drive train can be felt through the clutch pedal. The drive train on FWD includes the steering. Can you feel anything in the steering wheel as well?

Don't think so, will check again tomorrow to be doubly sure.
 Any link between clutch and steering? - Hard Cheese

>>Is there any link between clutch and steering, power steering>>

CV joints, the outer joints swivel when the steering is turned and apply drive to the wheels at the same time when the car is manouvering.

Any link between clutch and steering? - Ted
Good point about the Cv joints. A quick test to eliminate this...see if the problem is still there with the car stationary. The CV joints and drive shafts will be at rest

With the engine running, work the clutch a few times whilst steering it from lock to lock a few times.

I'm almost certain this won't replicate the fault, leaving the problem in the drive train rather than the steering.
Good luck.

Ted
 Any link between clutch and steering? - Cliff Pope
Steering pump working hard on full lock at low engine speed, sending power judder through the clutch?
Electric power steering.
 Any link between clutch and steering? - Bellboy
seeing as its most prevalent whilst engine cold it could be something as simple as an airbox rattling or because the engine is on a higher cold start tickover something is harmonically frequenting

seems a bit much to strip a box down if they arent sure its the chattering classes in 1st gear
>> Electric power steering.

Now theres a thought, Only happens when its cold (just started) the power steering takes fair old current, the battery is being fuly charged, I wonder if its alternator/pulley/belt?
 Any link between clutch and steering? - Bellboy
wouldnt be a problem on a punto
it just turns the power steering off if overloaded
:-(==========)
Thanks for the thoughts so far, I will put them to the garage tomorrow and see what they intend to do.

I was painting all day today so never got the chance to get out and try and suss out the exact symptoms of what happens when - will do it tomorrow morning
 Any link between clutch and steering? - Dave_
>> it just turns the power steering off if overloaded

I had a Ford Cargo once that did that. Alarming when it happened whilst turning out of side roads - spinning the 'wheel to straighten up when, suddenly, the effort required increased tenfold!
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Mon 9 Aug 10 at 09:45
Well, took car back up to garage this lunchtime. I played about a bit on thier forecourt and found that it would only make the noise with the wheel turned - straight on it wouldn't, turn wheel to full lock and it would.

Chief mechanic guy came out, drove it and said that he felt that it was coming from the brakes. Sure enough every time the noise happened, a dab on the brake pedal and the noise stopped. He had a quick visual check on disc and reckoned there is a slight lip on it but may just be enough and no more to cause it to rub on full lock?

So I have taken car back and will try his theory out over the next week or so. If it tuns out to be this, then I have got a new DMF and steering rack for no reason! Its ok that it was under warranty but really does back up the "replace bit by bit" culture that sometimes is around just now!
 Any link between clutch and steering? - Ted

Worth checking that the wheelnuts are properly tightened, if they didn't do this for you.
I've known a noise to come from a wheel on full lock and the nuts seemed tight but did nip up a bit and cure it.
I don't really see the disc would cause it, but some discs do rely on the wheelnuts , being held tight between the wheel and the hub.
For wheelnuts read wheelbolts, if applicable !

It's elementary stuff....but that's the stuff that's always thought of last !

Ted
 Any link between clutch and steering? - madf
It'll be a stone stuck between disk and something... Or a rusty shield rubbing...
Latest Forum Posts