Motoring Discussion > MOT - how much does garage get? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 6

MOT - how much does garage get? - BobbyG
Been meaning to ask the experts on here, how does the MOT payment work for garages?
There is a Recommended price but everyone seems to charge different prices.
My local indie who does MOT had to get all sorts of computerised eqpt to do so, at huge huge costs, but only charges £30 for the MOT.

Does he need to pay a fee to DVLA for every MOT he does and gets to keep the balance or how does it work?
 MOT - how much does garage get? - Number_Cruncher
Yes, there's a small fee for each MOT slot, and VOSA set the maximum fee that a garage can charge. Beyond that, it's a commercial decision for each garage to make.
 MOT - how much does garage get? - Stuu
Id always assumed that the cheaper the MOT, the more likely it is to fail. Not always true, but some garages business model is based on cars failing and needing work rather than the fee.
Doing MOTs gives you access to people spending out money on their cars under a certain amount of duress.
 MOT - how much does garage get? - Bellboy
in a supply and deMand market mot garages try to pitch somewhere to gain business some just charge full recommended ,these are usUally main dealers
theres an mot station i regularly pass and he must have a full set of banners becaUse his mot"s fluctuaTe between £28 and £35 week to week
 MOT - how much does garage get? - mikeyb
My local indy charges full price, but his pass rate is high. I am of the opinion that if theMOT is cheap then they must be getting there investment back somewhere....
 MOT - how much does garage get? - Falkirk Bairn
My Mazda has a service & MoT in September.
Full price MoT but knocks £20 off the service as many of the checks are common to service & MoT - he does a thorough service not just oil & filter and adjusting the handbrake!

Why charge full price for MoT and take £20 off service?

No VAT on MoT so saves me £3.50 of the VAT on the service.

Every little helps.
 MOT - how much does garage get? - VxFan
For a while now Vauxhall have been doing half price MOTs (providing you print off the voucher from their website). My local garage isn't on the list of participating dealers though. Still, it hasn't stopped me asking each time I book in for an MOT with them as to whether it applies or not. They say no, but still do it at half price anyway. Goes to show there's no harm in asking.
Latest Forum Posts