Motoring Discussion > Whats happening to the price of petrol ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 25

Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - helicopter
For some months now in my local area of Sussex the unleaded has been around £1.19 a litre and todays Telegraph reckons it will be up 4 p a litre by the bank holiday weekend..........

However 10 days ago I paid £1 13.7 in Devon ( Trago Mills ) which was the cheapest I had seen for months and then yesterday was surprised but happy to fill up at £1 12.9 at Asda in Brighton Marina .

I also noted all the nearby stations in Brighton were within a couple of pence of the Asda price.

When I got back to my area with only two garages local to me the Shell ( at Tesco ) price was still £1.18.9.....

Whats the price doing in your neck of the woods?

Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - jc2
And Marmite is going up even more and there's no crude oil in that!
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Redviper
£1.19 For unleaded at the Darlington Branch of Shell (well it was 1 week ago when I filled up)

Usually the supermarket equivillent in this area are 1-2p dearer
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Javert
Cheapest around here (south Essex) is Sainsburys. 112.9p for unleaded, 114.9 for diesel.
Oil price is rising again, back above $80 per barrel. Then there's the rise in duty (October?) and the rise in VAT in January to look forward to........

Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Zero
117.1 round here in leafy Surrey.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - movilogo
Varies from 113.9 to 118.9 around my area in Beds.

Was in Devon this weekend. Managed to fill my tank from BP for 114.9

That's surprised me because in my own area, BP is most expensive!
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - sherlock47
If you really want to know

goto www.petrolprices.com/

and input any postcode that you choose.

You can also set your personalised details to get a weekly email telling what/where is cheapest in your area.

Last edited by: pmh on Mon 9 Aug 10 at 16:08
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Skoda
Round here it's come down by ~8pence a litre over the past 3 and a bit months.

Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Stuu
Morrisons in Corby is the best near me at 112.9, has been steady for some weeks now.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - DP
118.9 in my town where it's stayed consistently for the past month or so. 113.9 if you venture out of town.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - sherlock47
Its all very well posting individual experiences, but absolutely pointless if there is no location detail!
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Iffy
...but absolutely pointless if there is no location detail!..

Well, I think CraigP is in Glasgow somewhere - isn't he the guy who runs commuters off the road? :)

And DP is in Hampshire - he once accidentally posted his address in the BR via an ebay link.

I'm in County Durham, but I haven't got any prices yet, and it's pointless posting location if there's no pricing detail. :)

Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Skoda
>> but absolutely pointless if there is no location detail!

Fair point!

I never really thought about it before but i've only really picked up the general area where a few folks live. The one's closer to me seem to stick better in my memory, BobbyG, Old Navy, bhoywonder etc.

Iffy>> I'm in County Durham

I had it in my mind you're in Yorkshire somewhere.

My geography's rotten past the border, i tend to think in terms of "far, further, farthest". I thought Dog was probably farthest but someone mentioned they were from the isle of wight the other day.

Iffy>> isn't he the guy who runs commuters off the road?

Bah. You probably never read Dilbert but i give you a dogbert thumb-down.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Motherwell's the nearest big town to me, Glasgow's the nearest city.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 9 Aug 10 at 19:03
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Bromptonaut
Diesel was about £1.18 locally (Northampton) before I left the UK a fortnight ago. Here in France currently around E1.1 in the supermarkets and 1.25 on the autoroute.

Went up by a couple of cents over the weekend at Intermarche in Vogelgrun; I'll be looking for a cheap Leclerc or similar before starting the trek to Dunkerque tomorrow.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - mikeyb
Cheapest in Bristol is 1.129UL and 1.149 Derv

Most stations are around 1.149 / 1.169 though
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Iffy
...Iffy>> I'm in County Durham...I had it in my mind you're in Yorkshire somewhere...

That's my caravan, I mean weekend residence, in leafy North Yorkshire.

Back to motoring, as some used to say:

Petrol 115.9 and diesel 117.9 at Shell, Carrville, off the A1(M) near Durham City.

I've not been to the supermarkets, but that Shell station is reckoned to be about the cheapest around here.

Worth pulling off the A1 for, it's only a couple of hundred yards from the A690 Durham City/Sunderland junction.

Head for Sunderland and take the right filter at the first traffic lights.

Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - paulb
>> Whats the price doing in your neck of the woods?
>>

About the same as you, but seeing as I'm not exactly a huge distance away, that's not especially surprising.

Think the Shell at the Body Shop roundabout in Littlehampton is probably a penny or so under everybody else at 117.9 but that's not exactly cut-throat competition.

Filling stations in Brighton always seem a bit cheaper - the Shell at Preston Park particularly so. Then you get out of town on the A23 and it reverts to the usual BP Connect fare at 12you're'avin'alaugh.9. Hey ho.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - spamcan61
Christchurch area typically 117ppl, typical Stockholm price is 12.3 SEK per litre which is 112 ppl, OK it's along way to go to save 5ppl unless you buy in bulk.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Perky Penguin
£ has improved 10% against the $ in the last few weeks so price should be moving down if anything! Here in East Midlands supermarket unleaded is 112.9p
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Mon 9 Aug 10 at 18:28
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Collos
I have just filled up here in Dresden diesel costs between 117.9 cents and 124.9 cents and benzin and super benzin (same price) at 143.9 cents just so you can compare with Germany.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - ....
I feel like I've been robbed. I filled the bike last weekend at 1.34€ in "leafy" (ahem) Cologne.
I still got change from 20€ so all is not lost.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Bromptonaut
Excepting the border area diesel in BRD looked around 10c more than in France. But the absence of village/small town supermarkets in Germany made comparisons different.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - AshT
Cheapest diesel in Weston-super-Mare is 115.9 in three of the local supermarkets (Asda and Morrisons). Oddly there's a Shell filling station charging 119.9 per litre just a couple of hundred yards away from Asda; even with this price difference they seem to get a steady trade.

I made the mistake a few weeks ago of going up to Bristol on a Sunday afternoon and forgetting to pick up my plastic - as the supermarket fuel stations were closed I had to top up at a motorway services. Price was 131.9; I put in £2.50 worth, just enough to get home.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Collos
No matter what the price is you never see motorway service in Germany profiteering on fuel
unlike the UK counterparts they are clean offer good food at reasonable prices and excellent coffee.All the arguments used by British concerns are rubbish they are just out to rip the public off a good one is an exeption unlike mainland Europe where the oposite is true.
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - diddy1234
Just came back from a holiday in north Norfolk.

Most petrol prices near Cromer were ranging from £1.15 to £1.18
Prices for Diesel were ranging from £1.19 to £1.24

Prices near my home (North Herts) are £1.18 for petrol and £1.20 for Diesel.

So not much difference down this neck of the woods !
 Whats happening to the price of petrol ? - Mike H
Where I live in Austria it's around €1.13 per litre for unleaded, €1.08 for diesel, and €1.24 for super unleaded. As someone else has noted, Germany is expensive but Luxembourg is cheap (€1.22 for super unleaded a couple of weeks ago). Glad I'm here and not in the UK!
Latest Forum Posts