Motoring Discussion > A new world opening up Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 4

A new world opening up - legacylad
After deliberating for over ten years, I finally resolved to fit a 15' sectional garage door. My two 7'x7' wooden, electrically operated Birtley doors are still fully operational and in excellent condition. I sand them every two years and then apply two coats of Leyland Trade. D Day is next week, so I'm half way through clearing everything off my heavy duty racking systems and moving 'stuff' to the rear of the garage to free up space at the front to facilitate removal and fitting of the new door.
The old doors will be removed tomorrow with a friend, the 16'6" steel lintel has arrived, and the central stone pillar and block work will be removed Monday. Footings to dig, extra stonework at the sides to be built & keyed in ( it's a 20' sq garage) and the little worm that's been nagging me for years will finally be gone.
Who knows, I can even get a Mondeo estate comfortably inside then
Anyone want some really cheap doors with remotes let me know... Otherwise the door people will take them away to be scrapped late next week.
 A new world opening up - Harleyman
the little worm that's been nagging me for years will finally
>> be gone.

New doors, new wife, new life? ;-)
Made me smile for the first time in a few days....
Actually, after an extended holiday liaison I'm going into hiding
After an initial health & safety assessment, both doors and all fixtures & fittings were safely removed today. Building work to prep the garage for the 'new door' commences 08:30 Monday. I've allowed three days for new footings, stone, block work & steel lintel to be fitted and stone faced before sectional door fitted Thursday.
No more size limitations on vehicules then. Can you get an E class Merc estate with a V8? Should be cheapish once several years old.
The deed is done. It took the best part of three days working with my builder pal to take out the central pillar between the 7' doors, and remove the supporting block work. Hold up roof with acros, key in stonework at both sides so that it looks original fit, measure thrice for everything then, the really exciting bit, getting the 17' steel lintel in place. We 'borrowed' a fork lift to get it up and approximately in place, then some very delicate work using acros to get it flush with both the stonework and internal block work.
I don't need my life to be any more exciting than that with the thought of a huge beam crashing down f it all went horribly wrong.
Nice new Hormann sectional door now fitted with Marantec motor. Next jobs are to load the skip with 20 bags of rubble, old concrete lintels and a pile of old blocks, then a full day sorting & cleaning the garage. Dust from stone & blockwork cutting covers everything.
Financially it makes no sense whatsoever, but it's something I've wanted to do for 16+ years, but the convenience of driving virtually any car into the middle of the garage with racking down both sides convinces me it's worthwhile.
And now I can expand my horizons and buy a nice estate car, although the Focus has really grown on me and is perfectly adequate most of the time.
Can you take medication to dispel the onset of 'man maths'?
Enjoy your weekends... I'm taking my 89yo mum to visit 98yo Aunt in the nursing home again, which is enough to bring on an acute case of man maths when I see her monthly invoice from the home.
Latest Forum Posts