Motoring Discussion > Rear facing passenger seats Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 14

Rear facing passenger seats - movilogo
Travelled in a bus for an hour and sat in a rear facing seat.

I was surprised at the comfort! It was much more comfortable than a forward facing seat. I also felt safer. Every time bus was stopping, I was pushed more into my seat.

Usually I always choose rear facing seats when travelling by train, but in bus the contrast was stark.

I have read experiments about benefits of having rear facing seats in airlines (where experts argue you are more likely to survive in a crash).

I think buses should have more rear facing seats (it is a bit of problem if you are travelling to an unfamiliar area as you will try to watch out for your stop but for regular passenger it is not an issue).
 Rear facing passenger seats - CGNorwich
If you are prone to motion sickness, as I am, best to avoid rear facing seats.
 Rear facing passenger seats - VxFan
>> If you are prone to motion sickness, as I am, best to avoid rear facing seats.

+1
 Rear facing passenger seats - Ian (Cape Town)

>> I have read experiments about benefits of having rear facing seats in airlines (where experts
>> argue you are more likely to survive in a crash).
>>

Yep.
RAF VC10s have rearward facing seats.
 Rear facing passenger seats - No FM2R
SouthWest Airlines in the US have (perhaps had) rear facing seats. Much more comfortable on landing, but a bit weird feeling on take off.
 Rear facing passenger seats - henry k
Quite a few of the British Airways long haul club class seats are rear facing.
Some of the seats in BEA aircraft, Tridents ? and Vanguards were rear facing. good for planing cards on the table between the rows.
IIRC all RAF " airliner" type craft had rear facing seats
 Rear facing passenger seats - R.P.
RAF used to fit them as it was concluded that they were safer in a crash which makes sense
 Rear facing passenger seats - Cliff Pope
How about sideways-facing seats then?
 Rear facing passenger seats - R.P.
You go sideways.
 Rear facing passenger seats - henry k
>>You go sideways.
Yep
Hercules
cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/airliners/3/3/0/1377033.jpg?v=v40

BA club class
flight-report.com/media/photos/1469954579RPPX/img_3057.jpg
 Rear facing passenger seats - Bromptonaut
>> RAF used to fit them as it was concluded that they were safer in a
>> crash which makes sense

IIRC civilian aircraft regularly used on trooping flights were fitted with rear facing seats.

In seventies/eighties Britannia Airways had a contract for flights connected with BAOR and had one or two 737's dedicated to this role and fitted with rear facing seats. Occasionally they turned up on civvy charters to the Med etc.
 Rear facing passenger seats - commerdriver
I believe, going a long way back, that the aircraft involved in the Munich accident including Manchester United, had some forward facing and some rear facing seats. I wonder if any check was made afterwards as to what type of seats survivors were in.
 Rear facing passenger seats - Bromptonaut
>> I believe, going a long way back, that the aircraft involved in the Munich accident
>> including Manchester United, had some forward facing and some rear facing seats. I wonder if
>> any check was made afterwards as to what type of seats survivors were in.

Yes, the Airspeed Ambassador (Elizabethan in BEA speak) had some 'club four' arrangements on either side of a table. At work at moment so no access to books at home but IIRC those in rear facing seats did fare better.

Whether that was just due to the benefit of seats themselves or those seats ending up in debris away from post crash fire is another point.
 Rear facing passenger seats - sooty123
IIRC all RAF " airliner" type craft had rear facing seats
>>

Some of the VC10s did, but not all. The tristars never had them fitted they had normal airline seats facing forwards, as does the new voyager.
 Rear facing passenger seats - Tigger
I always thought rear facing was better until I saw this video - look at the lady in the bottom right. I'll now sit rear facing only if the seat has a high enough backrest.

j.gifs.com/y4jk6w.gif
Latest Forum Posts