Motoring Discussion > Angry drivers all the rage Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 30

Angry drivers all the rage - Dog
""One sunny Sunday afternoon, she takes the C70 out for a top-down stooge around the Norfolk lanes near her home. The man in the car behind seems to be getting worked up" ...

tinyurl.com/25oj43y directs to DT newspaper article
 Angry drivers all the rage - Skoda
>> He gets out, comes back and, his face purple with fury, starts screaming

I refuse to believe that someone could get that worked up just over a slow driver. Humans don't respond to that extreme for no reason. This smells like a story with the truth setting on economy mode. There's more to it than mimsing, or the reaction was lesser.

>> It also tells us something about British life.

Too many slow drivers don't actively facilitate overtaking by faster traffic. "I'm alright Jack, stuff the lot of you!"

>> In Italy, France and Spain, teenage boys (and many of their elders) would drool with admiration and longing over such a beautiful Bentley

Some would, some would be tosspots. Exact same situation as the UK really.

Bah gave up reading. Noone under the age of 55 could write that article.

>>I refuse to believe that someone could get that worked up just over a slow driver. Humans don't respond to that extreme for no reason<<

You'd be surprised squire, people have been killed (or worse) due to road rage,
I used to be mad in a previous (younger) life living in a one bedroom flat on the 11th floor of a south london council estate and being on the road all day trying to earn a crust.
I'm almost sane now ... almost!
 Angry drivers all the rage - corax
>> I used to be mad in a previous (younger) life living in a one bedroom
>> flat on the 11th floor of a south london council estate and being on the
>> road all day trying to earn a crust.
>> I'm almost sane now ... almost!

And in the words of the Doc Martin series you have now gone 'Totally Bodmin'.
A much nicer frame of mind to be in methinks!
Last edited by: corax on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 17:00
>>And in the words of the Doc Martin series you have now gone 'Totally Bodmin'.<<

Yea! There's a hell of a difference between mad and crrrazy :)
 Angry drivers all the rage - Leif
>> I refuse to believe that someone could get that worked up just over a slow
>> driver.

A friend stopped when someone was tailgating him, got out the car, and was beaten up. The car behind was occupied by a gang that had stolen it.
 Angry drivers all the rage - Zero
> "You shouldn't be in a car like that if you don't know how to drive it."

Quite right, clearly she was a pain in the

>he lady sells her convertible and buys a Mercedes-Benz A-Class instead

thats more like it.
 Angry drivers all the rage - Mike Hannon
>The lady sells her convertible and buys a Mercedes-Benz A-Class instead<

That'll teach her...
>> That'll teach her...

She successfully identified a problem with her driving (it invited unwanted attention). That's a commendable step. However...

Her solution was to sell her car, a car which she really wanted to keep and enjoy.

She demonstrated no capacity for rational thought when she decided to sell the car and refuse to address the problem.

Despite the writers best efforts to persuade otherwise, she bares some responsibility in the events. A rational person may have sought professional driving instruction for advice on curing or learning to handle the problem (unwanted attention).

They would not have sold a car they always wanted to enjoy.
Last edited by: CraigP on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 12:32
 Angry drivers all the rage - DP
Nobody deserves to experience threatening behaviour like that for driving too slowly.
>> Nobody deserves to experience threatening behaviour like that for driving too slowly.

Agreed.

Thankfully it's not likely anyone could expect to experience that (otherwise noone would be brave enough to drive slowly).
Last edited by: CraigP on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 12:57
>>Nobody deserves to experience threatening behaviour like that for driving too slowly<<

Tis interesting to read (and digest) the whole article and what it says about 'Great' Britain,
its like the weekend binge drinking and its associated anti-social behavior that goes on in this sceptered isle.
It's rare to find anyone willing to take responsibility for themselves.

It's always someone elses fault, or some other body should have prevented the event happening.

Last winter was a good example, everywhere you looked, newspapers, television, community notice boards, the internet / facebook was inundated with complaints decrying the council's ice clearing performance in housing estates up and down the country.

When any of the folks standing on the soap boxes were asked "how often do you grit the road in your street?"

Never was the answer (well a horrified stare that meant never is probably more accurate).

When challenged "but you're young fit and able, you could do the bit of your street and maybe the old lady across the road's"

Silence...
 Angry drivers all the rage - DP
I thought last Winter brought out the best in British society. Over those few days, I saw lots of things that I recall my grandparents bemoaning the disappearance of from British society many years ago.

Complete strangers were going out of their way to help complete strangers. Whether it was an old lady slithering across the supermarket car park with her groceries or a car struggling up the hill. People would drop what they were doing and offer to help, carry, stabilise, push or whatever was appropriate.

I met all of my neighbours over the course of those few days when we were outside clearing the street of snow. Others took turns to ferry steaming hot tea and biscuits outside to those of us "working". The atmosphere was unlike anything I have experienced. People who have had petty spats over various silly things over the years put it all aside and got on.

When we knocked on the door of the elderly couple opposite to see if they wanted anything from the supermarket to save venturing out, we were thanked warmly, but told that ours was the fourth offer they'd received.

Groups of all ages came together in public spaces for snowball fights, snowman construction and general larking about.

I think frankly our efforts put the council's to shame. Despite the resources and equipment at hand, motorways were untreated and major roads blocked. Yet half a dozen of us armed with shovels, brooms, a bit of energy, and a sense of humour cleared 100 yds worth of road by hand. A scene repeated all across our town, and probably most others in the country.

Last edited by: DP on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 14:25
 Angry drivers all the rage - Cpt. Flack

Other day I was heading for A3 along M25. I was in lane 3 of 4 heading south. An artic was in lane 2 behind another lorry. The average speed gantries we set at 60mph. As I got alongside to the rear of his cab unit, well past the trailer, he put on his indicator. There was no room for me to move into lane 4 and the car in front was gradually moving ahead and so was I. As I passed the front of his cab, he hooted, pulled out into my lane behind me, flashed and came up close to my rear bumper. This made ME slightly mad, as I had the wife and kids in the car. I only had to brake sharply for whatever reason and I would have had his unit in my engine compartment, and the family squashed in between.

I usually let lorries out when I see them indicating or pull into another lane well in advance. This time I couldn't do either. Did he really expect me to brake and pull back far enough to let him over and have someone behind me hit me up the kyber?

I'm sorry Pat (PDA) but idiots like him do you true knights of the road no favours.
 Angry drivers all the rage - Pat
I wholeheartedly agree with you Cpt Flack, pity you wasn't an unmarked Police car............but we never see them just cruising the motorways these days, do we?

Pat
>>I thought last Winter brought out the best in British society<<

Bit like WW2 DP, people pulling together as a team, perhaps we need anoth, oh forget that!
My ma and siblings used to tell me stories about the air raid shelters and the underground stations in south london, imagine all being cooped up in one of those til jerry had dropped his load,
In the blitz from sept 1940, it was so bad in london some people stayed down the shelters all the time :(
 Angry drivers all the rage - L'escargot
I think road rage is just another symptom of the ever-decreasing moral standards in the UK. It seems to be exacerbated by the ever-increasing power of modern cars. When I learned to drive, moral standards were high and the power of cars was low. You can't have road rage in a low powered car.
 Angry drivers all the rage - Crankcase

>> You can't have road rage in a low powered car.

Flying Autos Anger Town

...the petition alleges that Sound Beach is made dangerous by fast and reckless automobiles.

One resident claims that only a few days ago Mr Rainer ran his car at top speed past him as he was getting on a trolley, catching and tearing his coat tails. Another claims he was nearly run down by the Rainer car in the streets.

New York Times, August 23rd 1908.

I bet they didn't call it road rage in those days.
 Angry drivers all the rage - Crankcase
No, that's true. A "road rage" in those days was a race, often of the bicycle variety, and that appears to remain the case until the 1950s, when the phrase seems to die out.

It was revived (in quotes) for the O J Simpson trial, and then used sans quotes from then on in the form we know it.

>> No, that's true. A "road rage" in those days was a race, often of the
>> bicycle variety, and that appears to remain the case until the 1950s, when the phrase
>> seems to die out.

When a lot of cars would barely reach 70 mph, we use to "have a drag" with other cars of similar power/size. There was no animosity involved, in fact far from it. It was just a friendly race.
>> we use to "have a drag" with other cars of similar power/size ... It was just a friendly race.

Hooligans! ;-)
 Angry drivers all the rage - Armel Coussine
>> You can't have road rage in a low powered car.

There speaks a man who wouldn't know how to conduct a Skoda Estelle or 2CV, both much better when momentum is maintained. To be baulked by some prat just when you are about to run up a hill and need every fps you can maintain puts such drivers in a towering rage. But by then the prattish baulker has accelerated rapidly up the hill probably in the wrong gear.
 Angry drivers all the rage - -
To be baulked by some prat just when
>> you are about to run up a hill and need every fps you can maintain
>> puts such drivers in a towering rage.

I see a million old timer truck drivers nodding their heads.

Similar vein remember the unwritten rule of the road, give way to uphill traffic.
 Angry drivers all the rage - hobby
>> I think road rage is just another symptom of the ever-decreasing moral standards in the
>> UK.

Also the ever increasing numbers of vehicles on our overcrowded roads... Its always been there, just more noticable now... and I can even give you an example from 1975 involving a judge!
Last edited by: hobby on Thu 12 Aug 10 at 20:06
 Angry drivers all the rage - Dwight Van Driver
I am mindful when reading such posts as this and at the increasing levels of so called road rage of an article I read many years ago.

It was concerning an experiment conducted at Manchester University with rats.
Kept in a cage with room to move then there were no problems and they lived in harmony. Introduce more and overcrowding so that their personal space was invaded then they became aggresive and started to attack each other.

Does this ring a bell with our congested roads?

dvd
 Angry drivers all the rage - Zero
>> Does this ring a bell with our congested roads?

The rats a are small and furry, they get run over.
>>Does this ring a bell with our congested roads?<<

Humans have more in common with rats than we care to admit ...

"They were quite ingenious and very smart, smarter than the rats of any other age. These rats could think, read, and reason. That is why I was pondering them tonight. Their story is quite remarkable, but I was wondering about their fate. So, let me tell you of their story.

Many years ago the Rats of Tus migrated to a wonderful new land. The land was way more land than they ever though they would fill. The rats started off as a community of people. They lived in large groups. The rats would build quite ingenious nests and had a varied culture.

Well as rats do, they began to multiply and develop. Greater and greater their civilization became, if you could possibly think of rodents as having culture.

The rats were very inventive and had the ability to work together, and even for a time, brought in other rats that they used as slave labor.

Well, as the story goes the rats filled the land and began to pack it out. I’ve seen the studies of when too many rats get cloistered into a confined space. The rats start acting out in strange behaviors. Mother rats kill their young. High numbers of rats become agitated and aggressive.

The Rats of Tus lived in a strange society and that is why I am so curious about them. The Rats of Tus got to a point that each family of rats had its own nest. The nests had started off primitive but the culture advanced so much that not any nest could be built. Their culture was so advanced that they had worker rats that limited what a family of rats could build. They called it progress. These nests were nothing impressive to us, but they put great value on the magnificence of their nest.

A rats nest magnificent, you say? Well compared to us, I mean, you know, they were rats nests. I mean what can you say about a filthy rat nest. Made of materials they had gathered with its boundaries of markers that designated where their territory began and ended. The rats were so advanced that they would even buy and sell nests for hundreds and thousands of plastic baubles.

Each rat family lived in its own nest. Fifty to sixty thousand rats would live together in a community. It really makes my skin crawl to think of that many rats. Then it grew to between five and six million in a community. That is why I was wonder about the Rats of Tus, because we know when you get that many rats, or any other species together, diseases and pestilences seem to wipe them out.

The society of the rats was set up with training ground where the younger rats could learn. There were rats that were in charge and these were elected. The rats had a form of community government, organization, and philosophy.

The rats had a strange culture, but I guess not for rats. Each rat was after the benefit of his own livelihood and self. The rat populations only wanted what each individual rat wanted. The fat rats played into this and thought up new trinkets and “shinys” to sell to the other rats. I guess even the fat rats were deceived, for how valuable are plastic baubles anyway.

The rat government kept trying to further control and submits the rats to be good. The culture was getting way out of hand. One rat would lose its mind and kill ten to twenty other rats at a time. Rats would steal, kill, and vandalize other rats’ nests. It was bad. The more the government tried to control the rats the further the rat society got out of control.

Now me personally, I don’t think that all the laws caused all the problems. I don’t think the symptoms of “A” were caused by “B”. But, the rats could not figure this out. I know I was talking about how smart these rats were, but still they were rats. As I ponder the problem I think the rat culture of self focus led to the problems of the rat populations.

The rats tried to institute all these laws but it was the culture of greed that was causing them trouble. Almost like a sickness. If there is a dangerous pestilence going through out a land that causes mayhem, illness, and death; no laws are really going to control it.

Plus, I think the Rats of Tus pushed their young ones too hard into the mental fields of science. Rats were not really made for that. I mean, even though that some rats were very smart; rats were made to run and scurry, and scavenge for their food. Kind of like us, we were made to primarily work hard and later to think. For, a man who physically works hard rests well at night and is satisfied at the end of a day with a job well done. I think the rats need this too. I mean just as the mind is fulfilled by hard study; the body also needs to find fulfillment in all it can achieve also.

Maybe this is why they had such a problem with mental illness or mental brokenness. The minds of the young rats got to a point where they were worked too hard and just broke, like when my back goes out when I try to lift too much. Some people can do hard labor all day, I used too. Dig ditches, build houses, stack lumber, but it wasn’t till I became a manager that my back first went out. And now that it gone out I have to protect it and try to strengthen it in its no pain zone. I wonder if this concept would help the Rats of Tus with their mentally broken rats.

Well it might help, but I forgot their culture is broken. Since their main culture is broken with self centeredness, anything that they think of as not helping them, they throw away. They have lost the ability to nurture and restore the broken. Sometimes mentally broken rats stay broken the rest of their lives, so there is no great push to help the mentally ill rats.

The rats are actually at a disadvantage because they usually cannot think like we think. I mean they are rats. Self centered by nature, willing to go with the actions of the rat mobs, only concerned with fattening themselves up and padding their nest to raise their young. If their young are successful they are successful.

So how could I influence any rat, I mean, how could I plant a seed of community, and truth, and that the rat population of Tus as a whole is family? Even if I did inspire one, how could that one influence and change a culture? I mean would you want to lower your standard of living if it meant finding fulfillment. Would you want to deal with uncertainty and the possibility of death if it meant the culture as a whole would be fixed? What about your TV? Would you destroy it and never watch it again, and work in a field, and live without electricity to live in a Utopia? I don’t think I would either.

I don’t think Utopia is something external. I think Utopia is a state of being, and mass Utopia is a state of culture. What if their were no more wars, no more killings, no more lying, no more hatred? But what are we going to sacrifice to get there? I talked about possessions, but what about the harder stuff: like sacrificing our desire to be better than others, sacrificing our desires to have more than the ‘Jones?’ What about our need to be right, and proud and self determining?

I guess this is but a pipe dream, for a government ran by rats is still made up of rats. If the general rat populations are slimy, creepy, and well - made up of rats, then if the government of the rats is made out of those rats, then the governmental rats will be as vile as the population.

Well, I guess I will leave the Rats of Tus to their fate, because it only takes one bad rat to spoil the ideology of Utopia for them. But, I have found that each rat in itself can have Utopia in its heart, no matter what the rest of the population is doing.

Maybe, someday I’ll visit them again and talk to a few rats and maybe they will come to understand and look at their culture from a higher perspective; for peace is not dependant on the condition of the sea.

Thanks for traveling along with me in my thoughts about the rats of Tus. I was just wondering about them; ‘What would happen to them?’ I guess only the future will tell us. I am getting tired now and going to head back off to bed.

Oh I just realized I have capitalized the wrong letters in the word ‘Tus’, it should actual read the land of tUS. I guess I’ll have to go back and fix that later. Maybe I’ll leave it to my editor. I wonder if I will dream of the land of the US again. I wonder how many rats their whole world can contain with all their cultural problems. I think now it is somewhere over six billion".

edited as swear filter kicked in for an innocent word
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Aug 10 at 10:28
When (and where) was the phrase road rage coined? What did motorists do to vent their spleen on other road users before they realised they could have road rage?
 Angry drivers all the rage - smokie
L'es - see Crankcase's explanation above for a possible answer :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 13 Aug 10 at 08:38
Latest Forum Posts